QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How the Twistymobile came to be......

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 16:07    Post subject: How the Twistymobile came to be...... Reply with quote

Many moons ago we had a garage section on this forum, but since that was removed I've never put the old girl in here, so I figure it's about time.....

It all started way back in December 1982, in the little country of Brunei in Borneo ( yes, I know, off-roading paradise ), when my parents bought a brand new Subaru 1800 GLF estate. This eventually got shipped back to the UK, and when it was about 14 years old was sold to me for a measly £200
I got the bug there and then, and soon lifted her 1.5", with larger tyres.....

However, whilst she was a belting motor, and even had a Lo box, she had her limitations, so around about 1998 I traded her in for my first Trooper, a 2.8TD SWB.....

That pic was taken about a week after buying her.

She eventually ended up with roughly 1.5" suspension lift, and 31-10.50r 15 BFG MT's, along with arch extensions, tints, spots and a custom made rear bumper....

Around about this time I joined the AWDC, and started doing RTV trialling in her....

She also sat on the AWDC club stand at Trentham Gardens one year....

As I got more and more into the trialling I decided it was time to join the big boys in the modified class, and the Trooper was just too smart to do that with, so along came "Muck", a Suzuki SJ410 hardtop that got a jigsaw cabrio conversion, and a full cage....

That was just pure fun. I had her on her roof several times, and it was just a case of roll her back over, fire her up and carry on....

Anyway, time trundles along, and in 2002 my daughter was born, and the old 2.8 suddenly became totally impractical, so I ended up selling the trailer and Muck, and trading the 2.8 in.

At the time I had a budget of £10,000, and it was a toss up between a 3 and a half year old Trooper, or a 6 year old Landcruiser. I figured my 2.8 had been a trusty steed, so, completely unaware of all the woes surrounding the 3.0 engine  Rolling Eyes  I went for the Trooper.

That's the original sales photo  Cool .

I ran her as standard for a while, gradually gleaming bits of information about the engine from various sources on the internet, and wondering whether I'd spent a huge amount of money on a Lemon.
Eventually I took her off road, and was impressed with what she could do as standard, but I promised myself I wasn't going to go OTT with her, so I just did a 1.5" suspension lift and put her on 265/75 r16 BFG MT's....

Then I took her to a BFG playday at Tong, and that's pretty much where it all started...

After that I wanted to make something special out of her, even though at the time every supplier I spoke to kept telling me that you can't lift an IFS truck. " Should've bought a Land Rover" was all I kept hearing  Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I found ITOC some time in 2005, although it was a completely different place back then, nowhere near as much information as there is these days, and gradually I came to learn a bit more about the engine becoming slightly less worried that it was going to suddenly go bang on me.

I also discovered independent 4x, and the Expeditions west websites, and started to realise that Troopers could be lifted more than the obligatory 1.5".

Using lots of bits from indy4x She ended up with a 3.5" suspension lift, as well as the safari snorkel, and a TJM winch bumper, which I had to import directly from the TJM distributors in the USA as there were no suppliers in Europe at the time. She also got treated to a set of Mickey Thompson classic wheels.
By this time it had become a case of "I've started, so I'm going to have to finish her"  Rolling Eyes

Then came the roofrack, eventually sourced from a breakers yard, and adorned with some spotlights. It was around this time that the Superwinch ep9.0 got mounted into the TJM bumper as well.

Me messing about with the FLT at work, just to see what she could do with both anti-roll bars disconnected....

A bit of wading in the bombhole at Briercliffe...

In March 2007 She had her 15 minutes of fame, although when the photo shoot was done, nothing was said about her being on the front cover. I was well chuffed  Very Happy

A bit mucky at one of the ITOC Buildwas meets...

After that due to a series of unfortunate events, including being made redundant, The old gal had to take a back seat for some time, but gradually along the way she ended up getting a 1.5"body lift, and some 33-12.50 r16 Greenway Machos.

The rear bumper was also left off with a view to eventually putting a steel one on, and the rear lights were converted to Bighorn ones...

Oh, and the obligatory black pinstripe was added...

On display with Gary and Keith's motors at the TOR National 4x4 show, Donnington Park, Feb 2009

The last couple of years have been a bit slow for her, but she's gained a custom steel rear bumper...

...and a pair of rock / tree sliders...

as well as a 17" kenlowe electric fan, and a 3mm steel bash plate made for me by Gary820 (Cheers Gary  Wink)

There's still loads more to do, as I want on-board air for one, and the 285's are starting to look a bit small  Rolling Eyes  

When I started I wanted a Trooper that could keep up with all the other modded motors out there. I like to think I've succeeded. She's certainly a whole lot more fun than she used to be  Cool.

Spec list.....

Front susp... Torsion bars cranked 3.5", top ball joints flipped, slimline droop snubbers, OME +1" shocks with 1/2" spacers, extended stainless brake hoses, Anti-roll bar disconnects.

Rear susp... Belton +1.5" HD coils, 2" coil spacers, +3" Pro-comp shocks, extended stainless brake lines, anti-roll bar disconnects, modified brake PCV mount.

The rest... AVM manual locking hubs; Heavy duty indy4x track rods; stainless cat-back exhaust with de-cat; 1.5" Body lift; 16x8 Mickey Thomson Classic wheels; Kumho KL71 285/75 r16 tyres; Safari snorkel; full length roofrack; 6x100w spots to front; 2x 55w work lights to rear; uprated 90A alternator; TJM T15 winch bumper with superwinch ep 9.0; custom rear bumper with 2 recovery points and NATO hitch; custom rock / tree sliders; custom steel bash plate; 17" Kenlowe electric fan; rear lights converted to Bighorn spec with light guards; stainless rear door ladder; in dash mounted CB; tints; wind deflectors; led sidelights and marker lights; and probably other things that I've forgotten about  Rolling Eyes .

"Tongue-tied and Twisted; just an Earth-bound misfit,  I..."
 -  PF

LTM # 000002

Last edited by Twister on Wed Oct 17, 2012 21:43; edited 7 times in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 16:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great read Wink

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Redneckriceburner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a great read and inspiration to others to show what can be done with a bit of effort, well a lot of effort but well worth it in the end, it does very well off road from what I have seen and also looks nice too which can be hard to achive as most off road trucks look like they have been fighting a war in Iraq.  Smile
Pete_88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to finally see how the twisty mobile evolved. Top read mate.
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time you did this  Laughing   Cool
35's next then?
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

As peeps are saying...bloody good read mate  Cool ........and I have to add an inspiration to many including myself  Very Happy  Oh.....and thanks for your help over the past few years  Wink
marmite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for postin this up matey  Very Happy  Very Happy
sat here with a massive smile  Very Happy
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed reading that mate Very Happy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice trooper alright : Very Happy
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read Steve, Just adds to the "Keep the trooper side of the paper"  Cool  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

David ltm47
JACUB

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Steve, inspirational Idea
Twister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys  Cool, wasn't expecting that kind of response tbqh.

Took a lot of coffee to put that lot together  Laughing , and my internet connection went down half way through it  Shocked, nearly had a coronary  Rolling Eyes.  

X66DAG wrote:
Good read Steve, Just adds to the "Keep the trooper side of the paper"

... it says that on both sides  Laughing  Wink

Red Robbo wrote:
Oh.....and thanks for your help over the past few years

...Likewise Ted  Cool

gary820 wrote:
It's about time you did this

...I know, I know  Laughing , been meaning to do it for ages  Rolling Eyes .

gary820 wrote:
35's next then?

... not sure about 35's, coz it appears you lose some turning circle. I might do a bit of looking into something around the 34" mark.
Still, these 33's have still got loads left in them, so it's going to be a while yet. Laughing

-  PF

LTM # 000002
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen it evolve and like watching a kid grow up you dont notice much, the pics say it all  Cool
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent write up twister ...it's what has alway's gave me the inspiration for mine  Wink

BUT .......... after knowing how long you spent on your wheels last yr befor the 'big bash' ...i'm getting the feeling you have a slight fettish for shiny wheels

sorry but best pic i had from last yr's 'big bash' ....but ..... again ....SHINY wheels lol

Twister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

The ones on the Mk1 were chrome, didn't take much cleaning. The Twistymobiles are bare aluminium and are a nightmare to get shiny. They only get done about once a year  Laughing.

She is my pride and joy after all, so you've got to let me have some shininess  Rolling Eyes.

-  PF

LTM # 000002
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: