All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil Strainer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian4351

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 15:10    Post subject: Oil Strainer Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I bought my Trooper 3.0 Duty last year and I didn't know about all the problems these Troopers have. Anyway, I know about the injectors and the turbo probs, but I have read on ITOC that theres a problem with the oil strainer. Can somebody explain what this problem is please so I can sort the problem.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 15:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Ped M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% on this but I'm sure it's covered by one of the recalls, I'm sure it's something to do with the oil strainer breaking off and dropping into the sump, that in turn stops the engine starting because the oil can't be lifted. I think there is a trick of adding an extra litre of oil to get the engine to start and confirm the problem but it is not advisable to run around with it like that!! 3.0 experts will verifie if I'm talking total "BLEEP" or if there is any truth in my words!
Ian4351

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 20:50    Post subject: Oil Strainer Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering what it was about. I'm trying to get the recall info from IM about my Trooper, but I'm still waiting for a reply to my e-mail. I think I phone them Monday because I think there is more recall work to be done. If anybody else has any comments on this subject I'm all ears as they say.
Gribble

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm . Over to you Robbo .
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

not heard of any recall (but no doubt i'll be corrected if there is) not sure aboute them actually breaking .. they are held in place by a 10mm bolt but main prob is the rubber 'O' ring seals wear and perish therefor instead of sucking oil up to the injectors they suck air ... simple fix with new 'O' rings or just put some silicone round joins/ 'O' ring when re-fitting .... normally does the trick  Wink  .... oh and make sure mesh filter at bottom on pick up pipe is'nt damaged and free from blockages  Wink
not a hard job to do/check .... drain oil ... sump off and you'll see pick up pipe
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a problem with early engines I believe,but don't know about a recall.Is it running ok ?........if so leave it be ....trust me  Wink
Ian4351

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:06    Post subject: Oil Strainer Reply with quote

Its running ok when the oil pressure is up, here is the full problem so everybody knows. Starting from cold it takes forever to get the oil pressure up, on tick over it will never happen, I have to rev the engine hard which I don't like doing, and if I luck it will gain pressure if not I have to do it again. Then the light will go out and the pressure will shoot up to 85psi. The problem is worse after it been standing over night and the oil has drained to the sump. But I dont have any problems starting from cold.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thats the engine oil strainer not the injection sysytem one .The longer of the two but the two systems are seperate so its a lube issue you have .

I would suggest you drop the tin sump and check the strainer and the O seal.

Are you using 5/30 fully synth oil and proper filters ? ie genuine or blueprint or boshi as some patterns dont have the right valve inside.
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

the strainer recall was part of the turbo recall it's wasn't a recall on it's own, when they changed the turbo you had to do the strainer as they had modified the gauze in the bottom of it making it more finer as they thought the standard gauze could let up bigger bits of crud from the sump. it does sound as though yours is sucking air for a bit so definatly get it checked or even replaced.
Ian4351

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 14:28    Post subject: Oil Strainer Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for the info. I changed the oil and filter my self, 5/30 oil is what I used but I used a pattern filter, but it was ok for a couple of months and then refused to pick up the oil from cold. I'll change the filter asap and see if that cures it.
I'm still trying to get the recall info from IM about what work was done to my Trooper, so at the moment I'm unsure about the turbo replacement.
madwelder1971

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi can any one help i have a 3.0 diesel trooper ran fine did a 90 mile trip turned it off went back to
it would not start  aa man put easy start down it runs ok turn it off will not start its like its not getting fuel
thanks andy
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a faut with the orps or even the ropcv . Have a read of the forum and come back on.

My thoughts are the ropcv is sticking .
madwelder1971

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi what is that and how can i fix it thanks andy
madwelder1971

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again is it  a easy fix and how much would it cost to fix or can you clean it out
its only got 42000 miles on should have kept my defender
thanks andy
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whooa there  madwelder,we all have jobs or other stuff to do so jump on here when we get some spare time .   Smile

Ok first of all have you got the right oil in it ? 5/30 fully synth is the one and only for these engines .Any chance of getting a tech 2 diag machine plugged in as that will say whats up for sure ?

So once its had a sniff of gas it starts and drives fine ?

Next ,is it hot and cold it wont start or just hot ?  Try pumping the hand primer before starting  and see if there is pressure as it may be a fuel running back problem .

If that dont work try cutting the white wire trick . Its the white /yellowish wire in the multiplug by the dipstick on the car side of the loom.If it starts now you need a new rops which lives under the cam cover about 120 quid plus setting on tech 2.

On this forum;  ropcv = rail oil pressure control valve ,control the injection oil pressure as set by the ECU .

rops = rail oil pressure sensor,reads the rail oil pressure back to the ECU .

Have a look in my post about the ropcv in Starting Issues , try that first and if its sticking or rough it really needs a new one .

Its not hard to get out but quite dear for a new one . 340 quid but thats a plug and play  part .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: