4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0 DOHC Glow plugs location

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwalsh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 23:12    Post subject: 3.0 DOHC Glow plugs location Reply with quote

Hi

I recently changed my ageing Monterey which has run faultlessly for 8 years for an ageing 2003 trooper citation it runs really well but the glow plugs dont appear to be doing anything when the ignition is turned on, ie when I turn the ignition on the Monterey I hear a click and the interior light dimmed untlil the glow plug relay had powered the plugs and turned off on the trooper I see the glow plug symbol on the dashboard light up but ther is no click or dimming of the interior light and its a *beep* to start I want to check my glow plugs I have removed the rocker cover but am unable to find the glow plugs (sad I know but iam a complete novice on the 3.0 engine) could one of you nice people please let me know where the buggers are hiding or even better post an image Thank you
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 23:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TrooperSimon
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take off the intercooler and throttle body

take off the plastic cover

pull out the sound deadening sponge stuff down the right handside and there the little beepers are

BUT

just because the lights don't go dim they might still be working

how long does it take to fire up ????

First check the basics

On the drivers side of bulkhead above the servo

You shoud see a grey plug this is glow plug cable unplug it make sure you have power with a simple test light

If not check the big fuse in engine fuse box

Also between the fusebox and bulkhead is a small square box containing two relays

open this and swap them over

now if you think one or more of your plugs are down

then its worth doing a proper test as it is not worth risking snapping a good one

they snap off very easy and its a major job to get them out

a 2003 citation is as new as they get

cheers

simon
dwalsh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you simon I will follow your directions but if they fail could you let me know where the glow plugs are actually located! I've removed the rocker cover   i can see the injectors but can not see the glowplugs anywhere
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, you can't really miss them  Shocked
they sit at the bottom of each 'groove' in the inlet manifold, BUT as stated earlier, they are always stuck and trying to undo them snaps them!
Anyway, its unlikely to be all 4 gone, have you replaced the blue relay?

dwalsh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jacksdad thats the last place where I would have looked  Embarassed what an awkward place to situate them thanks again
TrooperSimon
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now then Jacksdad some people are not as mechanical as others

Remember i not a mechanic..........

However i better beeping service your trooper for you before the next itoc bash

Don't want to see it on a low loader again do we  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Dwalsh

You don't have to take the alloy rocker cover off or undo the high pressure oil pipe

once you have removed the plastics and the sponge look down the right side of the rocker cover and you will see them

all linked with a thin metal bar

cheers

simon
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used a pic from my engine rebuild as it shows the glowplugs, hope it didn't mislead anyone....please don't strip the top end to get to them!  Embarassed
Surely if someone is planning to remove glowplugs they have some mechanical skills?
yes, my troop broke down at the bash, highly amusing for you lot, but the experts there couldn't find a fault either  Shocked  
After much searching I found the fault, a pinhole sized hole in the fuel return pipe, meaning a new tank, luckily I'd already bought one as it was going cheap, what a pain in the bum though!
trooper simone, my next service is due around March, will you collect and leave me a courtesy troop as well please?  Laughing
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:
I just used a pic from my engine rebuild as it shows the glowplugs, hope it didn't mislead anyone....please don't strip the top end to get to them!  Embarassed
Surely if someone is planning to remove glowplugs they have some mechanical skills?
yes, my troop broke down at the bash, highly amusing for you lot, but the experts there couldn't find a fault either  Shocked  
After much searching I found the fault, a pinhole sized hole in the fuel return pipe, meaning a new tank, luckily I'd already bought one as it was going cheap, what a pain in the bum though!
trooper simone, my next service is due around March, will you collect and leave me a courtesy troop as well please?  Laughing

a)Believe I told you that the injectors were enabling therefore you had a fuel issue  scratch
b)Nobody found it amusing
c)Return pipe ?
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rob, you did indeed help out, many thanks, and you did say fuel! it was just my luck that it broke as you were all heading out, we pulled the tent down and stood in the pissing rain,freezing cold, until the very nice man came, not a nice day!
Re. the fault, I'm working from memory here, but it was a metal hose coming out of the tank, it had been sealed up with silicone, total bodge, it hid the pin hole very well  Evil or Very Mad
TrooperSimon
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but our team did have a very small smile when it went past

.............must have been all northerners with a sick sense of humour   Laughing  Laughing

infact it was the most cb chat we had all day

anyway non us found the weather amusing

i am glad i was not at base as would probably not have fixed it either..........and hate getting beat

yep will leave you a courtessy trooper you will just have to swap the head for me

cheers

simon
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just a good job it broke down at the campsite, I wouldn't have enjoyed being stranded on stanage edge on my own.
I go out with a group that doesn't leave anyone behind now
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:
Its just a good job it broke down at the campsite, I wouldn't have enjoyed being stranded on stanage edge on my own.
I go out with a group that doesn't leave anyone behind now

Point......You would NOT have been left stranded on the hill on your own,every effort would have been made to get you and your vehicle down and back to base camp or a place where it could have been recovered.
Your unfortunate breakdown was at base camp...... the issue was broardly diagnosed.........what else could be done..... dontknow
crusader
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear,hear. From what i've seen and experienced, everyone on itock will do whatever to help a fellow membe.
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know you wouldn't have left anyone stranded, sorry for posting whilst having a text arguement with my now Ex-girlfriend!  Embarassed
Anyway, hows dwalsh got on with the problem I've hijacked?
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:
Hi, I know you wouldn't have left anyone stranded, sorry for posting whilst having a text arguement with my now Ex-girlfriend!  Embarassed
Anyway, hows dwalsh got on with the problem I've hijacked?

Aheerm...We've hijacked    Embarassed

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: