4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The simplest of jobs - adjusting the alernator belt - HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregMason

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 22:29    Post subject: The simplest of jobs - adjusting the alernator belt - HELP! Reply with quote

Got a Trooper citation 3.1TD LWB (P reg)with an alternator belt that squeals/shrieks ergo no amps out, batteries go flat, wife breaks down!!! Local garage bandits tell her alternator is knackered and will replace for £176 +, but if I get under car and lever alternator away from block whilst engine is running tightening the belt, lo and behold POWER! (What do I know about cars I'm only a plumber)

Anyway how do you adjust the belt - I've found the adjuster bolt below the offside battery tray but cranking it either way seems to have no effect apart from taking all the skin off my knuckles. Also there doesn't seem to be a pivot bolt at the bottom of the alternator just a sleeve and washer arrangement between it and the bracket to the block.
Please enlighten me before wife leaves and I have to my own ironing.
Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 22:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jjcymru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the side of the alternator youll see a threaded bolt with another that runs 90 degrees to it, undo this one and then undo the long threaded bolt. Lever the alternator towards the drivers side wheel, and tighten the lock bolt.
jjcymru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like your bolts are loose greg.
GregMason

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice. Just looked - can just see bolt at 90 degs to lock bolt tucked away kind of behind/beside belt. Also I assume that there should be a pivot bolt which has gone since the last service.

Thanks again
Greg
jjcymru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah lever the alternator and tighten that bolt you mentioned. Job done then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: