2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1.44 Litres of Petrol in the Diesel 3.0 Citation Trooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartburman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03    Post subject: 1.44 Litres of Petrol in the Diesel 3.0 Citation Trooper Reply with quote

My wife managed to put 1.44 litres of petrol in the Trooper 2 days ago. Admittedly it's had problems starting before this which I think related to old crud in the tank as whenever the car got low on fuel it took a good few cranks to get it started. Anyhow she left the 1.44 litres of petrol in and has filled up all the way with diesel and it's been performing fine for the 30 or so miles put on the clock since then. However this morning I got the dreaded call to say the truck wouldn't start - I'll take a look when I get home from work, but do you think this small amount of petrol in the tank could have caused this?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt very much that the amount of petrol that went in made any difference at all.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
stuartburman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DYLAN that's what I thought, just seems wierd that it happen so soon after. I wonder if the small quantity of petrol has made the other unresolved starting issue get worse. As an update my wife spoke to a local garage and they suggested spraying 'Easy Start' on the air filter to get it going (hopefully!) and then drive round loads to eat some fuel before topping up again. Would this be a sensible thing to do?
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO!

Easy Start is like crack for engines. Once it gets a taste for it you will need to take out shares in the stuff.

Change the filter (as the petrol will clear the crud from the lines blocking it) and fill again with diesel to dilute whats remaining in the tank. Your starting issue is more likely to be a hole in the fuel feed line from the tank. When sat switched off you might be getting drain back to the tank from the pump in the fuel feed. This then creates a bubble of air which has to be purged before the fuel gets there and the truck starts. Obviously the longer you leave the truck (usualy overnight being the longest time) then the longer it needs to crank to pull the fuel.

You may need to change the filter a couple of times before the crud is flushed.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

DYLAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really think 1.44 litres of petrol diluted in 80 litres of diesel Will clear crud off the lines?  Shocked

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of far less than that of 2 stroke oil doing the same. Though saying that if only 30 miles was covered it would take some, but if there was an amount of crud (as OP says in original post) then the petrol could of disturbed it. Also the petrol might of been all that was needed to tip the balance to finally make the starting problem a bigger issue.

Either way I would change the filter and check the fuel lines.

I would never never never use easy start on any engine.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

DYLAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the easy start it's not the best thing to use on any engine.

stuartburman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I wont use Easy Start to get her going and thanks for the advice...

One worry that I have (and apologies if this going a little paranoid Embarassed ) could the petrol have collected when settled in the tank and got sucked into the cylinder in a higher concentration (1.44 litres out of 75 is about 2% but if settled together this could be higher) and this is causing the cranking but no start? It'd be good to hear that this is rediculous (if it is) and I should get her going without worrying about other damage to injectors/fuel pump etc..
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the fuel lines leaking air? have you got a damp patch on top of the tank?
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the fuel lines leaking air? have you got a damp patch on top of the tank?
rich31td

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have though easystart is a big NO NO on diesels anyway? Wouldn't it suffer pre-ignition?
stuartburman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, thanks for your help and advice. I got the coil hot by powering up 4 or 5 times then gave it some cranking and it started in the end. since then it's started first go, I guess the crud that built up has now given way... fuel and air filters to be changed next week - hope that'll be the end of the starting probs. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: