All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rear open diff 1/3rd member swap with LSD 1/3rd member?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:52    Post subject: Rear open diff 1/3rd member swap with LSD 1/3rd member? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if it's possible to swap an 'Open' diff rear 1/3rd member into a LSD rear axle.
I'm sure it's a project that lots of us have contemplated but I'm thinking should I go for a Chinese copy rear air locker or go for the rear geniune aussie locker.
Been on a NZ forum and the feedback on the Chinese air locker is that they are cast as opposed to the geniune ARB being laser cut billet. Some people have been running with no problems but there are a few cases where quality as had it's issues - air leaks etc.
The other option would be to go for the less complicated rear aussie locker. Once installed, no ancilliaries to worry about. Guys on planitizoo indicate no adverse rear tyre wear and they racket out OK for low speed tarmac manouvers. The main issue I would have is sourcing the illusive 'open' diff axle and if I could source just the 1/3rd member it would be easier to transport plus giving potential sellers the option that they could potentially of retain calipers etc. to sale on.
Cost wise, not really a massive difference - Chinese locker US $479 + US $187 P&P - aussie locker not 100% sure but about £100 cheaper but then I've got to sort out the 'open' diff.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to say what engine you have as the 3.0 diff is bigger than the 3.1 .
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're talking 3.1 diesel engine - 4.56 ratio
In reality it's a Vauxhall Frontera 2.8 with a 3.1 Trooper LSD axle sitting in the garage waiting for the diff transplant Wink
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your coming at this the wrong way - when you get an airlocker kit its the whole lump so all you do is bolt on your crownwheel ,fit 2 new bearings and set it up . Then mess about with the air pipe .

If you read matskis sticky post about fitting an aussie locker and the tech stuff  off the locker site its the same thing .

So you have the diff you need allready for the airlocker and I'm 99% sure its the same for the aussie locker too , gary920  (lifted LC) will tell you for sure  Wink
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13509&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Thats a link to matskis post and it looks like you do need a open diff for the aussie locker .
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need an open diff for an Aussie locker, know someone who runs a fronty with them front and rear without on road issues.
Good luck finding one for the rear tho!
Air locker you'd bin the lsd and carrier and as said new bearings plus set it up.  I'd go air lockers as you control when they're in.

Front Aussie takes a bit of getting used to on the road if hubs engaged.
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys for tips and replys
At present I'm waiting for Lokka Australia to reply to me but a guy on planitizoo reckons the 12 bolt aussie lockers are currently available for the Isuzu Trooper 3.1 rear axle. I know in the past Indy4x4 in the states were the guys that commission the aussie lockers for the Troopers. Also saw that Indy4x4 list 'open' 1/3rd members when they've got stock - which I don't believe they have at present.
My thoughts are that, once fitted,  the aussie locker in the rear would be alot more reliable to that of the Chinese air locker, less components to go wrong. Hence the thought that is it possible to swap the 'open' diff 1/3rd member into the LSD rear axle.
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc you don't even need the complete 3rd member just the actual diff.
The Aussie lockers are very good, I ended up with the one matt originally fitted to his and put it in the mk4.
But seriously good luck finding an open 12 bolt unless buy outside the UK, lad I know who uses Aussie front and rear spent ages trying to find one!!
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pm sent Pedro ,found you one by chance  Smile
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having an ask on planitisuzoo and am now totally confused.
For the MkII Trooper 3.1 diesel (first of the coilers) I thought the rear axle is a Dana 44 12 bolt 26 spline 1.32" 33mm.
After asking the possibility of sourcing just the 3rd member one of the guys replied:
Dana 44s do not have a "3rd member", they are a Spicer style axle with the carrier housing integral to the axle housing, not a Hotchkiss style with the carrier housing separate & removable from the axle housing.
I then posted up an eebuygum link of a 12 bolt 3rd member for clarification and another reply came up:
The part pictured appears to be an Isuzu Corporate 12-bolt, whether the standard or modified version I can't say, but it's definitely not a Dana 44.
What's got me confused further is that the ARB and Chinese copy air lockers are both referenced RD44.
Any ideas or confirmations.
Wilky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Dana axle was in the US version of the Frontera,  for identification Dana's generally have a removable diff pan cover

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=855&tbm=isch&tbnid=fcazNGuhXgr6WM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_44&docid=ZZC1dV_Nu3o1UM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/JeepDana44.jpg&w=2816&h=2112&ei=jDFKUufUN-W44ATqooDoDg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:0,s:0,i:82&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=176&tbnw=247&start=0&ndsp=20&tx=172&ty=130

And I think the ARB for the MK2/3 is an RD85

Wilky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this link is a LSD, but this breaker in Barnsley said he had a couple of open diffs 4.56 ratio from MK2 Troopers recently, send him a message, he might still have one.

http://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/Isuzu-trooper-Monterey-Bighorn-3-1TD-Rear-differential-diff-limited-slip-LSD-/221280646928?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33855ab710

Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Wilky - sent him a message and fingers crossed.

I've been under the impression that the Lokka I need for the rear axle is a 12 bolt, 26 spline, 1.32" 33mm shaft diameter.
Can anybody confirm if this is correct?

Also, out of interest, what is the axle that is in the UK Trooper/import Bighorn MkII/III.

Been down the route at looking at a Chinese copy ARB and the item quoted was RD44. Decided against that now, but if I had, seems I could have made an expensive mistake Rolling Eyes

I'm sure there's a chart on here somewhere that list all the Trooper axle specifications, reckon I need to find that a bit rapid to see where I could have got it so wrong.
Wilky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro Pedro wrote:
I've been under the impression that the Lokka I need for the rear axle is a 12 bolt, 26 spline, 1.32" 33mm shaft diameter.
Can anybody confirm if this is correct?

Yes it is.

Wilky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axle specs :-

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zu4x.com%2Fmodules.php%3Fname%3DContent%26pa%3Dshowpage%26pid%3D21&ei=9ANLUriRI-G74ASDk4DwDw&usg=AFQjCNGjhPUkDxaxRWe-h450C6cFlyhYDQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: