All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brenda the Bighorn

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 22:12    Post subject: Brenda the Bighorn Reply with quote

Not a MK.I .. and not necessarily mine, but I am a named driver on the insurance. Also I thought I would move to the modern age.

G/F's Ford Explorer .. errrm .. well died. Beast of a truck with an LPG converted 4.0 V6. Sounded great on full chat untill it developed what we reckon is piston blow-by. Its now drinking more oil through the breather than its drinking petrol. Thats a lot of oil!! We also drained about 1/4 litre of oil from the air filter box that had soaked through the now black air filter

Anyways we decided it wasn't worth fixing as its an engine out jobby, then new rings, pistons, liners, headgasket set etc etc. Coupled with the other issues it has its just not worth the money.

She wanted either LPG petrol, or diesel. Definatly had to be a 4x4 for her job. Also another must was an autobox. eebuygum had nothing interesting, apart from one petrol truck which looked pefect, but the owner had fiddled with the LPG system and thus had as much power as an asthmatic weasel instead of the book figure of 215BHP. We walked away. Then this little gem turned up on Gumtree.

1994 (imported in 2007) Mk.II Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD LS LWB Auto. 7 seats. Towbar and electrics. Aircon. Foldy mirrors. Stainless Steel A-Bar. Stainless Steel exhaust. 12 month MOT and FSH (including all the Japanese ones). AISIN MANUAL LOCKING HUBS.

Couple of niggles. Cracked windscreen, and the speed sensor doesn't work. Local Windscreen place will fit a new one for £84. And I have a couple of sensors heading my way from a couple of members here.

Many thanks to Frank (Trooperspares) and Tommy (bone1748) for the imminent arrival of sensors. Tommy if the one from Frank does the job I will post yours back.

She was absolutely filthy when we picked her up last Monday, so tonight I spent 2/12 hours washing and polishing the outside. Also the coolant needs flushing really badly .. I mean really really badly. But after driving her to Ipswich and back a couple of times (even with only 3 gears) she pulls well, and is super comfy. All in all a good find ... especially as she will only cost have us £800 including all the fixes  Very Happy  Very Happy

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Last edited by Rhanagar on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:31; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 22:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice , good find , I hate them big mirrors on the wing
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking truck mate  Wink hope it's only the senor an not a knackered O/D like the 3.0ltr had Sad

David ltm47
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope so too.  Confused

I have the first three gears, and it changes gear fine, and kicks down (though it seems to hold the revs at the top for a long while before decieding to change up a gear). However no overdrive and no speedo.

Deceased

DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh you may be lucky there then mate, all the same except my speedo still worked

David ltm47
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Truck....... Cool
crusader
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking truck Neil.  They do hang on to the gear until the oil temp rises. But you probably know that.  Very Happy
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok folks the saga continues. Got my replacement speed sensors through the post (very quickly and many thanks to parties involved).

Tried the first one. Drove to work .. no joy Sad

Tried the second one and took it for a drive up the road .. no joy  Evil or Very Mad

Got annoyed.

Remembered that the autobox trucks had an ECU and found the fault codes online. Searched for the (orange) diagnostic plug. No where to be found in the usual places.

Phoned "Grandad".

"Where is this diagnostic plug then?"

"Above where the clutch pedal should be"

"Nope"

"It could be above the throttle pedal, or behind the kick panel in the drivers footwell on the passenger side, or the kick panel in the drivers footwell on the drivers side. I think they can also be in the passenger footwell..."

"So it can be anywhere then?"

*sounds of panels being ripped off while talking*

"Well yes I suppose but usually on the drivers side"

"Ah I have found it. Its orange not green as some people say it is, and the wires aren't green either"

"Yes that's is, it is orange"

"I will try the paperclip trick while your on the phone"

"Ok .. do you have the silver box where the clutch pedal is?"

"Yes I do why"

"No reason was just curious"

"The light doesn't go on with the ignition when the paperclip is put into place .. in fact I haven't ever noticed it going on with the ignition"

"Oh"

*silence* (never good when talking to Grandad)

"Is that bad?"

"Hmmm .... Weeell"

"Its bad isn't it?"

"The light should go on"

"Someone has taken the bulb out haven't they"

"I am not saying they have, but the light should go on"

*great I think I have bought a lemon .. g/f is going to be pissed with me now. worst case scenario is I buy a working autobox and do the change*

"Ok it must be something from/including the box to the clocks, or the car wouldn't drive and change gear in any way"

"How does it change gear?"

"Changes fine. shifts up nicely and kicks down well ... too well. It does like holding those gears for a long time. If you lift a smidgen it changes up and carries on pulling up to the very top of third gear"

"That is good then. As you say it must be something to do with the speed sensor. You have the classic signs"

"I think I will trace the wires back from the speedo to the sensor and then think about tackling the drive and transfer box. It has to be something that way."

"Check to see if the bulbs are missing as well"

"Yeah I will, Will put a bulb in the check light and see if it does the paperclip trick as well"

"Ok good luck"

"See you later buddy"

This wasn't word for word but you get the jist of it. Looking like I am knackered. Previous owner sold me a duff truck. Took the bulb out the check light before selling it to hide a big problem. I should of looked for it (rookie mistake) but hey we live and learn. I started to pull the dash apart to get to the clocks. Found that someone had been behind there already to badly fit a fog light switch. Also found that the check light bulb had been put into the wrong place. Initially I thought to hide a fault, however once I had found it I tried the paperclip test. The light came on briefly with ignition on as it does its self diagnostic, then went out and stayed out. Did this three times with the same result. Hmm no stored fault codes and I have driven it since swapping the sensors over and the battery has stayed connected all the time. Things are looking up. No fault codes means (hopefully) no electrical problems as its detecting the speed sensor.

Oh no .. that means the only place it can logically be wrong is the transfer box.

"80110CK5" said Zebedee!!

Well tonight I crawled underneath and thought I would start with the VSS drive. After some hammering and swearing it popped out and delivered a cup of oil onto my face for my troubles.

Here are the results:

As you can see the nylon cog has been worn away on two sides. What had happened is the shaft the cog is attached to had jammed in the body of the drive. The drive cog in the Transfer box had then worn away the nylon cog. It must of turned partially at some point to wear away the second spot, until it totally jammed altogether. Obviously this meant it wasn't turning the speed sensor, thus I wouldn't get a signal to the clocks, and thus no speedo, and loss of overdrive. Well that is the current theory.

Why did it jam up?

If you look at the third photo you can see there is a small hole in the curved cone part under the nylon cog. This was filled with gack .. well swarf and gungy oil. The shaft is very worn as can be seen in the last photo. That hole allows oil to drain through and lubricate the shaft along the fine spiral keeping it lubricated. This oil feed has got blocked and thus stopped it from getting the lubrication it needs thus causing the shaft (and the hole it slides into) to wear. You can see the swarf along the shaft and filling that lubrication spiral. This obviously lead it to getting jammed and the nylon cog getting knackered. Anyways the next thing to do is find another sensor drive and see if it cures the problem. I will also be draining the oil out of there a couple of times. I don't want that swarf to make this happen again .. or the swarf (no matter how small) to cause more damage. I think the original cause of my issues is lack of transfer box oil changes. Some gunge must of got in there to start with. I have tried the 4wd and it works fine with no undue noises. Moral of the story is .. don't forget to change your transfer box oil!

Long winded but I hope you have enjoyed the read and hopefully if you have had the patience to get this far you will pay heed.

Deceased

Slate
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting mate. I'm liking the theories and explanations... Its like a Poirot story  Laughing
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

New sensor drive sourced today. Turns out the manual gearbox of the same year has the same sensor drive. Got home, fitted, and went for a test drive. Speedo now works. Happy days!

Deceased

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
Grandad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy dazs mate

David ltm47
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a blast around the outer ring road. Have to admit she pulls well, and the overdrive kicks in nicely. All in all a pleasure to drive.

All that's left to do now is get rid of the smell of dog. Had all the dash apart cleaning behind there today. Next will be the centre console. I might even lift and replace the carpet.

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped all the interior out of the Bighorn. Then beat, hoovered, scrubbed and fabreezed the seats and carpet. While they dried I pulled all the trim and door cards off and hoovered a ton of dog hair, dust, and 20 years of mank. Then washed and wiped all the plastics down, and hoovered the insides. Put everything back together and now she smells and looms like a new car inside. No more arriving smelling of wet dog. Things of interest I found were a load of Japanese coins, also about 30 spent .22 cartridges.

Will post pictures tomorrow night. Ran out of daylight today.

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: