4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tube winch bumper build, with pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip A.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 15:02    Post subject: Tube winch bumper build, with pics Reply with quote

I've built a number of full-plate winch bumpers, mainly for Toyotas, but my preference goes to tube bumpers. They are usually lighter, and I find them better looking.

Here is the work in progress on my Trooper.

Let's start with the brackets' mounting points. These are badly rusted, humidity trapped between the original bumper's brackets and the chassis has done them in.

Cut off the rotten plate...

Cut, drill and weld a replacement plate. Holes on the mount in front of the chassis are drilled to take M12 bolts instead of the original M10.

40x40x4 angle, temporarily bolted and spotted in place for further measurements

And we can try the winch on. This was gracefully donated by my SWB Land Cruiser (soon to be sold, but the winch will stay in the family...)

But wait a minute. That's the usual "Wait a bit..." when you're tinkering with something, and all of a sudden you see a better way to do it. Instead of having the winch mounted on the bumper, with all the associated weight pounding on the bolts (which are working in shear in this installation), why not build a fixed winch mount, and have the bumper on its own? That would be stronger, and the bumper will be easier to disassemble when needed. Here we go...

I know, the winch is the wrong way around. But like this, the cable pulls from under the winch, more inline with the chassis and the attach points. The drum engagement lever will be cut off, and another front-facing one fitted.

From here, we start putting what I call the "winch cage", which is the core of the tube bumper. The brackets have been extended and now hold on four M12 bolts on each side. Together with the flat sheets, they will cut to measure and shaped when all measurements fit with everything.

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 15:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, stick with it mate!  Very Happy
Philip A.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added the hawse supports in front of the drum

Bent the 50mm tubes for the main bars, and spot-welded in place, with temporary supports

Bending template with various scribbles... The template was originally taped horizontally on the side of the winch cage, extending around the body's corner, and the outline of the top tube drawn by hand. forgot to take a picture.

Check from the side that all lines up

Start putting the bottom tubes in place

Continue with same. Compound curves are difficult to get straight (pun intended) on a manual bender, so it's easier to cut the bends separately and weld them at the appropriate offset.

Now, I'm not going to enter into details, but between the last three pictures there is an impressive amount of cussin' and hittin' and general merryment... In the Trial and Error process, Error comes first by a long way!

It starts coming together

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

As JD said..... Cool
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the top tube not touching the wheels in the last pic?
Philip A.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tubes are not yet cut to final length, they will be cut in line with the wheel arch.
Philip A.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

High tech Laser Tube Aligning Device

Everything is now almost ready to go for painting. I had half an idea to go without bull bar, but upon insistence from the crew we tried one on, and it fits nicely. But let's give to Caesar what is Caesar's: the crew had seen the pics of the bumper that I took as inspiration, Markymoan's neat bumper... Good design, simple and effective. Good looking too.

Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good build thread  Cool

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disassembled and thoroughly checked the winch. Like most of its brethren, although looking quite scruffy from the outside, it had seen very little use and the innards are in like-new conditions. Repainted, and mounted. I'll install a synthetic rope in replacement of the original cable. The winch mounts double as hi-lift jacking points.

The bumper is now complete. There will be finishing touches, like plates to join the wheel arches and the front wall, tidying of cables, etc.

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

V  Cool
rabbitt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill take one in black please

no winch required lolz
ecp
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:09    Post subject: WB Reply with quote

fab thread, great pics and top notch job m8 well done
lorrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask if you would make me one as I have been looking for some time, then I saw your Address, a bit top far to travel  Very Happy But really looks great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: