4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper does not start after injector sleeve replacement

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristinnm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:23    Post subject: Trooper does not start after injector sleeve replacement Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I´m having problems with my ´99 3.0 diesel Trooper

The history of the car is this:

I started having problems with it starting in the mornings or after it had sat for a while. I changed the spark plugs and the common rail. After a while I notices that there was diesel in the coolant. The morning after a long drive I started the car and it ran for about 500 m than it stalled and when I tried to start it again there was a lot of white smoke and the car would not start.
I´ve done the injector sleeves repair and swapped out an "oil pipe" in the oil pan.
I tried to start the car after these repairs but it did not start. It ran for a few seconds a few times but than stalled. There was some white smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Do you have any other ideas to why it is not starting.

Regards
Kristinn
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's everyone's nightmare that the engine won't start after a major job on it - like the replacement of the sleeve-O-rings. There are so many areas where you might have made a simple error!

Let's assume you replaced the  Sleeve-O-Rings with genuine Isuzu parts and that you replaced all the copper-rings and other O-rings on the Injectors too. Then it's down to mistakes like letting the O-Rings on the HP-Oil-Pipe fall off when rebuilding - or, not through any fault on your part, the ORPS was 'on the way out' and has now died!

Try the On-Board diagnostics - short #6 to #4 on the 16-pin plug [down in the driver's foot-well] and the Check-Engine-Light will flash the Fault-Codes - see page 6E-54 of the PDF Manual for full details.

Good Luck!!
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a set way of putting injectors in with a torque wrench and if you dont do it the diesel leaks into the bores and gives white smoke and the car wont run right.

Also the injectors come with different codes and might need  setting to the ECU with the tech 2 tool .

Obvious question  - were the injectors you put in out of a running engine ?

The not starting after being stood was probably fuel running back .
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you drained the coolant out of the fuel tank?
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooaaahhh Eithan!           I think he said he had fuel in the coolant - which is terrible - but it's common enough! If he had coolant in the fuel-tank - that would be very unusual and rather a disaster!

As it is, he has replaced the Injector-Sleeve-O-Rings and [presumably] the other seals on the Injectors - so the current state of his coolant should not matter in the efforts to get it to start!

We shouldn't be just guessing! C'mon Kristinnm, give us some further feedback! We don't have enough information to help you.

Have you tried the diagnostics-system? If so, what codes came back? Have you got the PDF Trooper manual from Jeepolog?? Were all the Glow-Plugs  replaced? Were they ALL faulty? Is the circuit to them good - i.e. giving 11 Volts or more at start-up and for about 3 minutes after 'ignition-on'?
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browndoff wrote:
Woooaaahhh Eithan!           I think he said he had fuel in the coolant - which is terrible - but it's common enough! If he had coolant in the fuel-tank - that would be very unusual and rather a disaster!

As it is, he has replaced the Injector-Sleeve-O-Rings and [presumably] the other seals on the Injectors - so the current state of his coolant should not matter in the efforts to get it to start!

We shouldn't be just guessing! C'mon Kristinnm, give us some further feedback! We don't have enough information to help you.

Have you tried the diagnostics-system? If so, what codes came back? Have you got the PDF Trooper manual from Jeepolog?? Were all the Glow-Plugs  replaced? Were they ALL faulty? Is the circuit to them good - i.e. giving 11 Volts or more at start-up and for about 3 minutes after 'ignition-on'?

Crack on Eithan !!!!!

At low idle when engine is hot coolant pressure maybe greater than fuel pressure.......soooooo you end up with coolant in the tank.....and as we all know weasel sits on top of watter  Wink
It can be a two way thing with diesel/coolant contamination and needs to be checked  Smile
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS....... And lets not neglect the possible venturi effect....... Smile
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers robbo!!

Browndoff I spent 16yrs as an Isuzu head tech, I'll stop there I think lol
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
Cheers robbo!!

Browndoff I spent 16yrs as an Isuzu head tech, I'll stop there I think lol

Very Happy
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
There is a set way of putting injectors in with a torque wrench and if you dont do it the diesel leaks into the bores and gives white smoke and the car wont run right.

Also the injectors come with different codes and might need  setting to the ECU with the tech 2 tool .

Obvious question  - were the injectors you put in out of a running engine ?

The not starting after being stood was probably fuel running back .

My substitute torque wrench lol

Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so defensive, Eithan! I didn't say it could NEVER be coolant in the Diesel-Tank - I just said KRISTINNM had never said there was! What HAD BEEN SAID was that there WAS OIL IN THE COOLANT.

I also kinda mentioned that the real problem here was that there was NOT ENOUGH info from Kristinn! If we're all just SPECULATING on what the vehicle's symptoms might be [instead of having a real list to work through] then one guess is no worse than any other, anyway!

Hey - Kennymac - I love your torque-wrench!
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he supplied plenty of symptoms and told us about the previous work carried out just before it stopped. With out a tech2 plugged in to see the data we are all just speculating at what could be wrong it's just some of us have a better insight as to what the problem could be. Coolant in the tank is a common fault with the sleeve seal failure and this needs to be checked. If it turns out its clear of coolant then we can move on to other possible faults.
I think before you shoot down anybody's thoughts or ideas maybe ask the question as to why there could be coolant in the diesel tank first, that way you won't rub people up the wrong way.
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

laughing3                                                 laughing3

notworthy                     notworthy                           notworthy

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
I think he supplied plenty of symptoms and told us about the previous work carried out just before it stopped. With out a tech2 plugged in to see the data we are all just speculating at what could be wrong it's just some of us have a better insight as to what the problem could be. Coolant in the tank is a common fault with the sleeve seal failure and this needs to be checked. If it turns out its clear of coolant then we can move on to other possible faults.
I think before you shoot down anybody's thoughts or ideas maybe ask the question as to why there could be coolant in the diesel tank first, that way you won't rub people up the wrong way.

thumbup thumbup
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Guys - I didn't mean to cause anyone any offence. I thought only that I was drawing Eithan back to discussing what Kristinn had already told us about existing symptoms.

It's very clear to me that Eithan knows vastly more than I ever will about Diesels, in general - and Troopers in particular.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: