All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

4 wheel drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 23:45    Post subject: 4 wheel drive Reply with quote

Hi All. In my owners handbook it says you can go from 4 to 2 wheel drive whilst still moving. If this is so can you change while still driving or do you have to dip the clutch. Any help on the correct procedure would be appreciated as with the forcast of heavy snow anytime we will all be using it (apart from the newer models with the fly on the drive system, lucky people.) Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 23:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lynn Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cowboy ,
I always dip the clutch when I have to change.
Lynn

ps we have heavy snow here, been out " playing " Very Happy
skoly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In My owners manual it states that if you have auto locking hubs you should never move the transfer control lever from 2WD to 4WD or 2H to 4H or 4L while the vehicle is moving!!!!

I have a 1996 3.1 TD Duty and always stop before changing. Better to be safe than sorry!!
Lossie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 3.1 Duty (1996) and I change mine whilst moving and have never had a problem. I always dip the clutch and generally try to be doing less than 40 MPH when I do it.

Big big snow up here in NE Scotland today, did about 450 miles looking for some decent (ie ungritted) roads to play on. Great fun, like being a kid agaain!
Lynn Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lossie,

come down to Aberdeenshire looks like they didnt grit Very Happy Very Happy

got caught out by one drift in a white out, had to back up and gave it a decent charge , brilliant as I went through it , all back roads very poor ( for 2wd ) exelent for "real" vehicles

Lynn
cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks All. Have FUN! Very Happy
Richard D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Troopers have "on the fly" 4wd which means that 4wd can be selected at speeds of up to about 60mph .some don't which means that you have to stop the vehicle to engage 4wd. I have found that the owners manual does'nt tell you how to find out without trying which system the vehicle has. but trying to select 4wd whilst moving on a vehicle without "on the fly" selection can be a painfull and costly experience. easiest way to tell is lay on the floor in front of the car and look at the front axle on the passenger side (left side in uk) and if there are some wires coming off the axle it is "on the fly". if no wires not "on the fly" Idea
Mudboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:18    Post subject: 4WD on the Fly Reply with quote

Hi Cowboy
I have a 1996 3.2P Auto LWB, and being a farmer I'm in and out of 4WD all the time.
Particularly at the moment. Very Happy
Changing on the move from 2h to 4h is no problem, and although the handbook says you can do it up to about 40 mph, I personally never do it over 10 mph.
It's when you change from 4h to 4l that you need to stop the vehicle.
cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. I think there is a bit of confusion regarding my original querry. The question was about changing from 4 to 2 wheel drive. I allways play safe and stop before changing back to 2 wheel drive even though the handbook says you can even when moving. When I get the chance to use 4wd again I will try dipping the clutch as sugested. Thanks All.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: