QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Aussie locker

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike . I just checked , they have changed the part number .

But it now includes the 3.5, 3.1 & 3.0  .

Looks like they have updated there data base . (Only use to show 2.8 & V6) .

When I was talking to them they didn't know that the swb was made in mk4 ..
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 20:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel I've got to give Lokka.com a  thumbright
In a previous reply in this post there was a bit of mention of Lokka not replying once they've got your money. Thought I was going to have to agree with that pointer when I heard nothing back and not getting my $30 refund, resultant due to the extra postage I had cough up from when the plan of my mate bringing the rear Aussie locker back from California in his suit-case went Pete Tong. Any how, after 6 weeks thought I send the Lokka fella a bit of a cynical e-mail reminding him that he had indicated that he was going to sort out the refund and forward me detailed tolerance info for the front Lokka that I had bought from another networked supplier.
It worked, not only did Mark at Lokka sort out the refund, he also forwarded me a detailed tolerance explanation for the front Aussie locker tolerances when fitted into the Isuzu front diff. And to fair to him, he didn't get my original e-mail because he explained that he had moved back to his own department after doing a stand in stint in the sales area. Can only judge on what I've found, but I believe Mark to have been honest with me throughout the transaction.
For the record, the actual DIY postage as cost me more than if I had used the Lokka facility. That's down to NatWest charging be £10 to transfer the money this side of the pond and the recipients bank charging another £8 to clear State side.
All it needs now is the duty man to give me a bill this side for import duty and I would have really got it wrong Rolling Eyes
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you fitted the front Lokka then? I'm still trying to decide which setup to go for, I'm really thinking of this because its just so simple, in fact seems 'too good to be true' sort of thing!
Hence me asking for first hand reviews  Wink
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried to get one sent to a mate in Oz, he could then send it to me part by part, and I'd save all the vat and duty: It would be a personal gift of used parts!  Wink
Lokka said my mate could order from the Oz company you stated, but would still have to pay Oz duty (10%?) and internal shipping to his address.
may still be a plan, but I'm not 100% happy with the order going through so many stages before it gets to my mate in Oz  Crying or Very sad
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:
Have you fitted the front Lokka then? I'm still trying to decide which setup to go for, I'm really thinking of this because its just so simple, in fact seems 'too good to be true' sort of thing!

No, not yet Embarassed - been lazy on that front. Initially, I thought I could utilise my original smashed Frontera 2.8 front diff (smashed planatory cogs) but the carrier doesn't match the Isuzu carrier so definately can confirm it's got to be Isuzu all the way. I bought a spare 3rd member from Wilky a while back with the intention of fitting the locker in the spare and swapping the 3rd members insitu rather than pulling out the front axle.
I'm sure I could get around the problem, but when I originally swap the smashed Frontera front for the now in place Isuzu Trooper front is was a bit of a mission. One of the captive nuts broke loose from it's weld so we had to do a reweld in place which potentially could be slightly out of alignment. Although we got there in the end, it was a mission securing the Isuzu replacement front diff.
I've got as far as stripping out the spare 3rd member a while back but need to have a slivver skimmed off the supplied tolerance washers to get it within the advised tolerance range. Need to get it over to my mates so he can do the honours for me on his bench metal skimming machine. That's where I'm at.
Making my own excuses, but I'm thinking of taking the truck off the road for a spell next year and doing the rear axle, Trooper solid flywheel and front diff swap all in one go.
I had a look on the Lokka.com site and it seems that price as dropped at fare bit for the rear lockers with postage to UK. $425 as opposed to $485 when I ordered. The saving if you can work it is side stepping our taxman Wink  
I'll do a paste and copy of the info Mark from Lokka sent me regarding the front diff tolerances.
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially requested the tolerance info because I got my front Aussie locker from USA based Independent 4x4. Being USA based, I wanted to be sure the tolerance figures supplied with the kit were imperial as opposed to metric. Not sure if there's a difference between USA and UK imperial settings. During the correspondence with Oz based Lokka thought I'd ask the question and although Oz is metric, the tolerances from Lokka can still be quoted in imperial. Here's the info that I received.

Quote:
The tolerances I think you are referring to, are the inter cam measurement and the spacer to cross shaft clearance ?
If that is not what you are after then please let me know

The intercam gap is usually intended to be between 145thou and a maximum of 165 thou
It is possible for it to be a little less or more - but that isnt usually a good idea without a greater understanding of some other issues involved.
And in any event the latitude is limited.

The spacer to cross shaft measurement is usually between 10 and 20 thou - but a wider variation can exist and not pose any real problem, the main issue here is that symmetry is preserved - ie that both sides are roughly equal.
This particular diff often fits on the tighter side rather than larger.
But if you get 2 thou one side and 30 thou the other then that is more a problem ! - usually solved by swapping thrust washers if they are different or using other thrust washers/shims.
But 8 thou one side and 14 thou the other isnt a big worry.
So try to get a symmetrical clearance if you can - sometimes the OEM thrust washers on each side are different to correct for machining variation in the diff hemisphere- so its important to refit them the right way around.

If you get any greater dimensions than I have supplied here - drop me a line and I can offer further advice.

May be of use at a later fitting date.
rob5464

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front lockers are always very difficult to come by. I wanted one in my Shogun but the the money they cost is wasn't worth it as they have rear lockers anyway.
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the best thing about Lokkas, they cost $385 delivered...if we can get round the import duty and vat!
Even if we pay the full whack, its about £380, so still the cheapest option, and fully automatic: no reaching for the engage button  Wink
Wilky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacksdad1963 wrote:

Mines been in for nigh on 3 years and it's faultless, it's had a good work out today at Briercliffe and will be getting another next week on the rocks at Cowm, then it's back to laning for a while, worth every penny, I had to have my thrust washers shimmed down to get the tolerences, needs to be done on a flat bed milling machine.

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this topic?
Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like best bet is direct from Lokka
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokka is your best bet, I payed £285 all in with import duties and such for mine. Hopefully I'll try and do step by step photos  when I do mine.
Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't manage to do the build thread .

A good build thread made into a sticky would be good
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying first to get my head round the setting up process first, might have to have a bit of a play about first before diving into it properly.
Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't find set up that bad .

I did have to get the thrust washers / spacers machined down a bit to get the tolerance correct .

Once you've had a dry build you get it .
Also there a couple vids on YouTube you may find helpful
Search "Aussie locker install" or something similar ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: