4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Cheap onboard air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:35    Post subject: Cheap onboard air Reply with quote

I converted this used Butane bottle into a portable air receiver to use for airing up my tyres after a day out.

I was using a small direct drive compressor, similar to a Viair, but it was struggling with the bigger tyres and I wanted something a lot quicker, it didn't cost much at all and works extremely well, I can fill it to 120psi (8.27bar) with my own compressor, it's rated at 27bar, it was only ever intended to be temporary as I'm sourcing a fancy regulator to use with my PCP diving bottle (323 bar) which obviously I'll have to pay to be filled, but will last a lot longer and I'll have the option of running air tools from it, but in the short term, I'm well happy with this.

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got details of using a dive bottle to fill tyres?
I've got a 300bar 12 ltr for my PCP's bolted in the back of the troop and seems a waste!  Very Happy
Wilky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using one now, finding the DIN adaptor and regulator to drop to PSI rather than flow was a nightmare, but I wanted it safe to use air tools, you can do it without the regulator but I didn't fancy it.

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the details of your setup then?  Very Happy
Like you say, don't want to try just opening the valve a little....putting about 3000 psi in a tyre might damage something.... Shocked
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touching on this subject, is there a feasible air storage facility/tank that would suffice for remotely using air tools?
At the mo, I can only use the air tools within reach of a mains electric supply for my small compressor. Having latched onto this post, I'm wondering if there's an answer in here somewhere that I could take a sufficient air supply to my lockup garage that hasn't got mains electric.
Wilky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacksdad :- depends if your bottle is a DIN setting or an "A" clamp as to whether or not my set up would be compatable, mines a DIN and after some misinformation from Otter Watersports who told me the standard DIN is M25, I managed to find an adaptor, the DIN thread is actually 5/8", my regulator came from a mate who dismantles plant machinery for reconditioning, no idea what it's off, but you can remove the conical end from an Oxy bottle reg and mod it to fit the adaptor easy enough, it will reduce your pressure and they are rated at 300 bar, but the restriction will be to a flow, although I guess you could connect it temporarily to a gauge to work out what flow will give what pressure. My bottle is a 3.0 litre, so nice and compact, I don't use it for PCP's, I prefer a cartridge  Very Happy

Retro Pedro :- A 7 litre 300 bar divers bottle will run an air impact at 90 psi continuosly so I'm told, but don't quote me on that, the same bottle at 300 bar is supposed to hold enough air to fill a Cathedral, you'd be better off with a decent genny wouldn't you to run your compressor.

Wilky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say it will run an air impact continuously for 15 minutes  Embarassed
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Wilky, mines a DIN so will investigate further  Very Happy
All fittings like these are the old Imperial threads, bit hard to grasp for a Metric man like me!
As for the PCP's I now use a pump, as long as I keep topping up the rifles its pretty easy  Shocked  and my Gunpower Stealth with 500ml resovoir only gets filled up every 2 years, don't use it much and it doesn't leak at all!
12ltrs @ 300bar is a lot of air....would re-inflate hundreds of tyres!
Wilky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item No 290466048158, this is what I've used as an adaptor, you can either leave it at 1/8 BSP or drill it out and tap it to 1/4 BSP, the pics don't show it, but it has the correct "O" ring seal at the base.

Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilky wrote:
Retro Pedro :- A 7 litre 300 bar divers bottle will run an air impact at 90 psi continuosly so I'm told, but don't quote me on that, the same bottle at 300 bar is supposed to hold enough air to fill a Cathedral, you'd be better off with a decent genny wouldn't you to run your compressor.

OK Wilky, just a thought
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Wilky: I've got a 'whip' that will do that, it has a female end on that you then fit the rifle filler adaptor to  Wink
Think I'll get a Best Fittings catalogue and see what I can find  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: