2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Altenator not charging

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pennywise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i do that?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

SimonT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

gribble posting as simont due to log in problems ;

On the back of the alt is a M6 or  M8 stud with thick white wires you need to measure the volts here and to ground with the engine running to get the alts output .

If thats hard to get at then the main fuse (80amp) in the engine bay fuse box will do .The alts output must be 14v at low revs with no loads on or its not going to charge .
Pennywise

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha thanks for all the advice... i borrowed a multimeter off the bloke over the road but he works away and mines a *beep* £5 from a diy store that doesnt give any reading on anysetting so i'll have to get a better one and test again. Is it easiest to remove alt through wheel arch with wheel off?
Pennywise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all my altenator part number is  LR160446E. When i contacted milners they say that the one they supply for a 94. 3.1 td is a LR150 ××@# cant remember the number but she said this is the only one they do for the 3.1td they sell hundreds and this is the right one for your reg. Anyone else experienced this? Thanks matt
DYLAN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there was 2 power outputs, The bighorn that usually had a few bells and whistles had a slightly higher output.

Mr G will tell ya Wink

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Pennywise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just that theres loadsa variations on fleabay
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 50 amp and an 80 amp and some 'horns had a 70 amp or a 60 .

Looks like yours is a 60 so putting a 50 on is going backwards by 10 amps ,depends on the price ?
Pennywise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a 60 amp. Their price was £162 delivered sound reasonable? Would a 50amp make much difference?
Pennywise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a 60 amp. Their price was £162 delivered sound reasonable? Would a 50amp make much difference?
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on!        Back to what Gribble said about output-voltage - if it's giving out 14V [or even 13V] at idle, then it's fine - there's no need to replace the alternator - just because your multimeter is knackered!!! Beg, borrow or steal one and test it 'fairly' before you do any further work!

Remember, if the battery is 'dying', then the voltage available for starting may be too low to turn the engine fast-enough to start. Test your battery at a local garage - even if they're dead keen to sell you a new one, the test will show you if it can hold the current, or NOT. When I brought in my two batteries [for basically the same 'symptoms'], the newer-looking battery was knackered and the filthy older one was fine!!

Battery-charging units are pretty cheap, so charge up your one or two batteries and see if they can hold the charge overnight. If the voltage in the morning is less than 12 V, then however good the alternator IS - it won't be able to keep the batteries charged enough - 'cos they can't hold what they're given!
Pennywise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

My appologies i think i was giving the readings from when i was testing the mrs battery in her car:o .......ive bought a decent multimeter and both batteries are charged. At rest they both read 12.60.  When on tick over in mrs car they read over 14.00.
When in the bighorn 12.17 on tickover and then 12.00 with the lights on. Ive also tested the 80amp main fuse at tickover it reads 0.02!!!! I tested the fuse at the brass fixing screws hope that was right Shocked was dark. Thanks all for your advice, matt
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good set of readings - as your wife's alternator is giving out 14 V - that's what's read at the batteries when HER car is on tick-over - and that's FINE. With the 12.6 V when 'stopped', you're getting the voltage just from a fully-charged battery.

Your car, with the same batteries, can only manage 12.17 V at idle - 'cos some of the voltage is 'lost' in running the engine [and more is lost when you turn on the lights - so it goes down to just 12 V]. Since YOUR car's alternator is NOT pushing it up to 14 V - it seems it has had its chips!

At best, there could be a bad connection somewhere - so that your alternator's magnificent output is NOT REACHING your battery - but I fear that that is clutching at straws!
Pennywise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i agree with you.... why oh is this sturdy and capable 4x4 have no protection for its electronics i didnt punish it! Just a bit of hard green laning!!!
Pennywise

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the f*** is that 4th bolt on a/c Compressor? Just cant find it. Thanks for your help Matt
Browndoff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're serious - put up a link to a Photobucket picture of the Alternator showing arrows to the 3 for which you HAVE accounted and a pic and size-spec for the 'odd one out'. Someone will recognize its rightful location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: