4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New alternator 3.0 Commercial ...buzzing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked mine this morning before I got your message and confirmed it did stop buzzing as soon as the engine started. That's not so bad, I would not be happy if it were buzzing the whole time.

Yes, the people that looked at my old one said it was a 90A. Got a price for a recon exchange alt from Isuzu local dealer, 215.88 + VAT. They said it was 100A.

I'm in Norfolk. OK thanks I'll look around to see if I can get the parts I need first if not someone to o/haul  the old unit although I'm sure either wat there are no gaurantees.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two I did with buzzes are still going , one didnt notice so he was fine the other customer heard it so I bypassed the blue relay so now his heater fan is live at IGN on ,thats all .

You could just try some new brushes in your old alt ,most of the time thats all it is .
wilf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will take a look inside my old one.

A couple of times the buzz has changed after a few seconds, a second buzz started just behind the dash to the right of the steering wheel. It makes you wonder if harm is being done to something.

What led me to test the voltage across the battery and discover the alternator was not charging was the following things happened when I turned the ignition on the other day. Up until then there had been no problem.

1. The ‘4 wheel drive’ light stayed on although it was dull. If you switch FWD in you hear it engage and the light goes bright.
2. The handbrake/warning light stayed on dull but handbrake it off, if you pull it on the light goes bright.
3. The ‘Battery’ light stays on dull.
4. The tiny green lights inset into the heater buttons do not illuminate and the heater fan does not come on.

Since fitting the new alternator these faults have all gone. I have noticed that the 'four wheel drive' dash light and the 'battery' light come on bright for a second or two when you switch the ignition on then go dim until the engine is started at which point they go out. As I don't drive the Trooper as much as the wife I don't know if this is what it has always done, is it normal?
wilf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
Yes , the buzzing is the blue changeover relay making and breaking very fast as the output from the rectifier  when the alts not rotating is too low to hold the coil in .

How low is too low?
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under 7.6 volts but it also depends on the rectifiers build as some use odd but new transistors type stuff which won't allow a constant milliamperes draw down . Imagine you wire two five pin relays so one switches the other off when it's output goes live  you get a constant click ,click now do it in solid state electronics .fast very fast .

The buzzing in the drivers footwell is just another relay that's going in and out .
wilf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old story then, change one thing slightly and you affect several other things. As the engineer who stripped mt old alt said it needed a rectifier and regultor I suppose I have to assume he is right. I'll see if I can identify them at the weekend and if so start searching for direct replacments - worth a shot.

Thank you for the explanation, all makes sense to someone with very basic electronics knowledge.
wilf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four and a half years later and I took my original alternator to a small firm by recommendation. The chap there said it will be the regulator in the non genuine alternator that is causing the Blue relay to buzz and the chances are the regulator in the original alternator is fine, it'll more than likely be the rectifier that had popped a diode.

He said, as did the previous company I took my original alternator to, that a rectifier is not listed but he can use a different one and modify it to fit. He did the job and now I have my original alternator fitted with no buzzing. Very happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: