4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Removed Fuel Tank to ckeck for Rusty Pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonoroof

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 18:50    Post subject: Removed Fuel Tank to ckeck for Rusty Pipes Reply with quote

The say prevention is better than cure, so I had the fuel tank removed for inspection.
With the cover off, the tank seemed to be in nice condition, but of the 6 bolts holding the tank in place, 4 had to be cut out. The filler tube clip was also nice and shiny as were the fuel line clips.
Tank out and I was happy to see the pipes were in not bad condition, with just surface rust on them. Had them sand papered along with the brass, so they were all nice and shiny. Then a few coats of primer were applied. After that, several coats of WAXOYL were also applied.
Next job was to clean the brackets and all around the area which can't be seen when the tank's in place. More treatment in there with WAXOYL and the tank is ready to fit.
With the new bumper section recently replaced with a new one, the *beep* of this trooper is as good as new.

Here's a few photos:

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 18:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andywen8156

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 17:42    Post subject: Fuel tank removal Reply with quote

Hey that is  a grand job indeed
I have made a start to remove the fuel tank off the trooper 3.0 d but have read that some have cut a hole to gain access to the top pipes is this a good idea or nor really necessary
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

not needed you can get at them perfectly fine
andywen8156

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Eithan
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ... support it underneath and drop one side a bit until you can get your hands in there to undo the clips.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

andywen8156

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Rhanagar just hope it will stop raining some day soon.  The Welsh weather is so lovely  Sad
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to cut a small (12 x 12 cms) panel out to get to inspect just how rusty the feed pipe into the tank was ... Embarassed   !
(NOT repairable in my case so new tank bought and fitted) - and to more easily get to those clips from above rather than lying on the ground or using a lift.

'Small removed panel' can be MIG-welded back in later. It was removed with a very thin cutting disc.
Just remember - the offside of the tank cannot just be easily lowered because it is above a lip. Nearside can.

So - to lower the tank, you must drop the nearside first in order to clear the mounting bracket, then you can move the entire tank to the left (off the offside lip), THEN you can lower the offside a little and seek out the clips.

AND check my other thread re differences between LWB and SWB tanks. Please double-check the position of your tank breather FIRST ... before ordering.
1986 Saab 900 Turbo. '84 Marlin Roadster.
+ motorcycles & '76 Reliant Kitten (don't laugh - it has got 4 wheels)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: