All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Low Fuel - Now a Non-Starter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 13:23    Post subject: Low Fuel - Now a Non-Starter! Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have a question (this being my first Diesel) when switching the ignition on, should you here the Diesel Pump prime as you do on Petrol cars, or is this not the case and the reason there is a manual bleed/pump on the Diesel?

The reason I ask.............

I went out last night to drop some friends off, and planned a fuel stop on the way back as the light had been on for a while.
Typicaly, our one and only local garage had run out of Diesel so found myself 6 miles from home and struggling to get back

I did however just make it home, although it pretty much died on the drive. Put some fresh fuel in this morning but it now just turns and wont start.
I've primed/bled the Pump by hand until fresh fuel comes through but still nothing and now the Batteries are getting low.
I'm guessing the filter is probably full of grime so thats my next port of call, but just wanted some clarification on wether you should here the pump prime or not?

Thanks in advance  Wink

Kris!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 13:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Kris!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

...oh and its a 2002 3.0TD  Wink
Mike Rosie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no electric pump on the trooper only the engine driven one.
If you have run it dry they can be a real pig to get started.
Lots of bleeding and pumping.
Once you have bleed the manual lift pump keep pumping and pumping to fill the system.
Last time I did it I had to get a jump start as the battery went flat.
Kris!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

The battery is on charge now, but i've been bleeding it for some time, and my main concern now is when undoing the 17mm Dome nut under the Inlet, there is no pressure there when you turn the ignition on (I read somewhere on here when undoing the nut there should be some pressure, but if the pump is engine driven then i'm guessing this would only be the case when turning it over)

If I keep the nut undone and push the manual bleeder I get fuel from there so i'm guessing there is no blockage

I will keep pumping while the battery charges up and keep my fingers crossed  Cool
Cam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you take the fuel filter off check that the small read valve is sitting flush on the underside of the priming pump. I fit isn't take the cross head screw off and remove the read valve ( small metal flap ) and clean all the surfaces carefully and re-assemble. It helps to fill the new fuel filter with diesel before fitting, slacken off the the 10mm beed screw and pump the primer until diesel comes out, (usually only a few pumps needed) and take it from there...............the 17mm dome nut? you shouldn't need to slacken it or indeed touch it?
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably read that 'crack off the 17mm dome head nut and crank over ,fuel should fly out ' as normally if you get a good resistance to the hand primer when pumping it means the fuels filled the head up and is passing out the tiny control orifice at the back of the head .

Try what cams suggested as you should get a good squirt of fuel out of the the filter head bleed screw with no air in it .
Kris!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guys

I removed the Filter and all was ok, and get a good load of fuel out of both the Bleed screw, and the right hand fuel pipe so there are no blockages and plenty of fuel by the seems of it

There also seems to be some resistance on the plunger so there doesnt appear to be any air left in the system, so will wait for the battery to get some charge and will try it again

What would be the likelyhood that i've dragged some crud up from the bottom of the tank and blocked the injectors, or would the filter of stopped this?

Thanks again

Wink
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pick up pipes in the bottom of the tank so unlikley and the filter will take the muck out ,dont even go there with blocked injectors.

Once it fires it will self bleed the injectors ok but the 3.0 does like and needs a good spin over to fire up ,maybe its saying it wants a new battery to you ?
Cam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran my 3.0 low on fuel last year, the result was that my fuel filter was blocked with a black jelly, which as far as I am aware was Diesel Bug ( where water has allowed bacteria to thrive and when it dies it forms a black jelly substance ) I treated my fuel with a Diesel Bug treatment from a marine store for about 2 months and cured that problem but, I ended up with 2 injectors down (a noticeable missfire lol) and a huge fuel bill until I got it sorted. Not what you want to read and hopefully it won't happen to you

Keep us posted though
Kris!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your helps chaps.........its now up and running  Cool

It was a simple case of spinning it over, and over, and over..................and over  Laughing

I honestly cant believe how long I had to turn it over and over before there was any hint it might start. The battery has been on charge all day and turning it over ran it down on several occasions so I honestly thought something else was wrong, but very pleased its now up and runnning

Cheers for all the help chaps, much appreciated  Wink
Cam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one  Cool a nice cheap fix..............bonus  thumbright
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. apart from the electricity bill charging batteries lol.

Glad its working buddy  Cool

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: