4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The SAAB transporter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 21:16    Post subject: The SAAB transporter Reply with quote

The reason I bought a Trooper was to tow a trailer. We are moving from West Sussex to Dorset and I have quite a few cars I want to take with me. Most cars are "projects" but a few are road worthy..it's just too complicated to drive down and try to get home.
I have had a load of issues with the truck but I think i'm on top of it all now and took the 1st car to Dorset today..what a great tool..the Trooper towed perfect and hills that we struggle up in other cars weren't a problem even with a tonne and half behind.
I lost my lights on the trailer socket (still had brake and indicators) tried a different trailer board and it's on the truck side..not the trailer, not really an issue in the day light but i need to sort it tomorrow.
The plan is to get at least 3 cars moved before the weekend...we will see!

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 21:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

A month to the day since my last post and the Trooper has been working hard.
We moved house, business and my car collection..it's been a manic month.
I have used the 4wd more than expected on the farm where our new workshop is situated..it's quite hilly and doesn't take much to get the wheels spinning.
I have done about 1400 miles this month and almost all of it towing a trailer.
The only issue so far when towing is that it follows the ruts left by HGV on motorways..I have had a few "wobbles" when changing lanes.
I really must change the rear springs!
A 2nd hand rear bumper turned up today..the one fitted is bent and the skin is torn.
I'm enjoying Trooper ownership more than expected and when we get a bit more settled I will make more of an effort to get her a little straighter and will have another bash at eliminating the spongy brake pedal issue..it still has a little air in the system.
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck , and get them brakes sorted if doin a lot of towing
South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke too soon. I noticed a load of grease around the front near side wheel arch today..split outer CV boot.
I phoned the local main dealer (50 miles away) as I was passing to see if they had a new boot on the shelf..yes they did but it was a staggering £78 + vat...I asked for him to confirm the price and it was correct..who would pay that sort of money for a CV boot???
I have one from a local autofactors..less than a tenner.
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit a universal one, from about a fiver  Very Happy
Just got all 4 with grease and 2 stretching cones, and steel fixing clips for £16 on eblay  Wink

j_r2006 is the seller
South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

eebuygum items bought..they should be here today but I have a long trip again so a sheet of rubber, gaffer tape and a few cable ties will be keeping the worst of the rain out until I get a chance to sort it.
2 more trips and then the Trooper can have a break , it will get a bit of TLC. The new rear bumper supports are here and I want to get a bit of rust proofing done while the rear bumper is off...it's a bit grotty under there. I managed to get grease on the rear carpets so they need a deep clean.
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller I used only lists outer boots, but after having a look, I reckon the kits they send will do: they are universal after all!
Might need to cut the small end off the boots to get them on, but they are made to be cut down, the ones I've got look like top quality, and are VERY stretchy  Very Happy
Just need to get my bum in gear and fit them....been offroading once with 2 boots ripped to bits, but I gave the shafts a good wash out with a hose pipe, just enough pressure to rinse the joints out without blasting the remaing grease off, but I need to fit the new ones before going to Whitworth next week  Very Happy
South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several months of faultless service the Trooper threw up a problem last week. It had been sat unused for a few days and I needed to move it..Started fine and moved 20 feet away. turned it off and left it for 10 minutes. Jumped back in and started it..the engine started to jump all over the place, almost like a broken engine mount. Turned it off. With the bonnet open I got my GF to start it with me checking the engine..all fine..nothing wrong and it has been fine since. Was this a temporary glitch or the early signs of a brewing problem? It just so happens that on that 20ft drive the Trooper clicked up to 120,000 miles and the timing belt light came on. I'm sure the belt has been done as it look fresh but i'm guessing they didn't re-set the service light at the time.
Apart from that it's been a great tool and I plan a weekend of tinkering and tidying soon..just waiting for better weather.
Oh..and several new SAAB V4's have been dragged out of hiding places and the Trooper has towed every one of them without fault..even got a "thumbs up" from another Trooper owner a few weeks back.
mutlley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

my trooper can stand for days without being used.

you can go to it and it starts up fine, jumps into life like a spring rabbit.

other times, it fires just like you describe. almost like an old man waking up after having spent 40 yrs smoking capstan full strength.  Laughing

no doubt one of the gurus will correct me, but i think its something to do with surplus/unburnt fuel in the pots.
South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mutley..hopefully someone will shed a little more light on it.
I made a start on stripping the front down to change the cambelt..all of the covers are off and the belt/rollers look to be in great condition..genuine Isuzu belt but i'm going to change it all anyway..and the waterpump while i'm at it.
I had a new hose for the power steering as the one fitted is weeping..while removing it i noticed the metal pipe that runs along the front chassis rail (below the radiator) was looking crusty so it came out and when the rust was removed it's borderline scrap..also found a tiny hole in the chassis rail so it's gone from a quick belt change to a lot more work.
Does anyone sell these steel pipes or is it a dealer only part (may also chat with the local hydraulics co to see if they can make one)
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Coast Classics wrote:
Does anyone sell these steel pipes or is it a dealer only part (may also chat with the local hydraulics co to see if they can make one)

Dealer part only. (not cheap either) Had to change mine last year. Not the best of jobs as the clips are in the most awkward places. If I recal I had to slacken off my power steering box to get enough room to start the union.
Looking at your truck from the picture, it looks like a 3Ltr. If it is they do not throw up a cam belt light????
South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 3.1 liter. I accessed the steering box unions through the wheel arch..much less stretching and you can see what you are doing. I will make that call today but i'm also going to visit a hydraulics engineer to see if they have seamless pipe of the right diameter...should be a lot cheaper if they can do it also a lot closer..my nearest main dealer is over an hrs drive away and I don't fancy having the pipes posted. The job is made a lot easier as the fan and radiator are out so I have a lot more space to play with.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defo a lot easiaer with the rad out Smile
South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done loads to the Trooper over the last few weeks..all just in time as it's going to be a busy week for it..more cars on the way.
New lower ball joint, inner and outer CV boots, stripped, cleaned and repaired the "driving lights", new speakers all around..all 4 were in bits. Timing belt/water pump done.
There was a little play in the steering column at the top...the shear bolt that holds the lock in place had loosened so I wound it out, replaced with a standard bolt.
When re-setting the cam belt light I took the dash binnacle out..found 4 lighters, 3 X £1 coins and a melted boiled sweet.
The temperature gauge has always read on the cool side so I replaced the thermostat and it was only when I was bolting the housing down I noticed that the temp sender wires were exposed and both wires were broken..just a few threads in tact so i'm guessing that the resistance has been low hence the gauge reading low...I need to find a new sender as they are a sealed unit..can't seem to find one anywhere so i'm guessing it's a dealer only part.
South Coast Classics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time I posted a picture of the Isuzu at work..done me proud today..has another SAAB to move tomorrow and yet another on Weds to bring home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: