All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Glow Plug Light-Help please!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't despair. You may find the starter motor sorts the issue out as these engines need to spin over at a good old rate to start properly.
Could be that your starter motor was strugling from cold as it was deteriating, but then as you say it started fine from hot because the starter has less work to do on a hot engine as it spins over easier with hot oil etc.

Fingers crossed and all that.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 18:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it was still the same this morning when I started it. Cranked over for some time before finally firing up. But again has been running sweetly all day with normal stops and starts.

I would like to try using the primer tomorrow to see if it makes a difference, but I still don't know exactly how to do it, I was hoping to get some advice if anyone can enlighten me on the correct procedure.

John
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the side of the primer pump is a small set screw with a 10mm(?) hex head and a screw slot. Loosen this slightly (do not remove), and operate the primer pump repeatedly until fuel comes out the bleed screw. When fuel flows constantly, retighten the bleed screw and try starting.  Very Happy
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks I will try that in the morning.

John
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the screw although it was difficult to get at as there is a metal guard around the primer pump, after loosening it I pumped and pumped for ages but couldn't see any fuel coming out, in the end I gave up and re-tightened the nut.

I then tried to start it and it virtually started straight away, brilliant!

When I looked under the truck, there was a large wet patch, so the fuel had obviously come out of the primer.

So now, do I assume that it is air getting into the fuel line allowing it to drain back overnight or not?

I will park it on a slope tonight again and just try staring from scratch in the morning because last time I tried this "Gribble" trick the old starter was dodgy and hopefully this may help to eliminate the possibility of draining back from the head.

Thanks very much for all the advice I have had so far, I feel that I might even be learning something. Never too old to learn!!!!!!!!!

John
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the air getting in as such but some of these seem to have an issue with fuel running back to the tank from the head overnight (which would certainly imply air getting in somewhere  Confused  ) Gribble will probably be along later and may be able to shed a bit more light on the matter. The favourite remedies seem to be - fit a non-return valve in the feed line just before the filter housing and/or extend the feed line so that it can be routed up above the head and then back down to the filter.
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble posted earlier about this very thing so it's his advice I'm now following up, hopefully in the morning we will have the answer, fingers crossed. If all goes well I might then be able to choose the right course of action to take, rubber tube or valve.

John
wilbyhilbly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I have now got the results as follows.

Starting normally after overnight, standing level - takes a long time.

Starting after standing nose down overnight - starts fairly quickly.

Standing level overnight, priming first before trying to start - starts virtually straight away.

So, what now, does this mean getting the "tube" fix or getting the non-return valve fitted, or does it matter which?

Hopefully this will be the last piece of advice I have to ask for on this subject, if I can get an answer it will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the tube trick its cheap and easy to do .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: