All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Can you guys please help me with my alternator issue ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steviebax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 21:09    Post subject: Can you guys please help me with my alternator issue ?? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have a 3.0td 1998 Citation.

My trooper has got harder to start - batteries are going flat.  When driving along the voltmeter on the dash is reading about 9/10 volts.

Tonight l started the trooper - started sluggishly - then drove back home from work.  All the way back the volts on the dash was reading around 10v - sometimes it would rise to nearer 13v then drop back down again - didn't seem to matter how high the revs where.

So drove back home and lifted the bonnet.  Seems to be a whirring noise from the alternator area - it maybe possible thats its just the sound of the belts but it seems a little loud and l can't remember noticing it before.  

Switched off the engine.  

Went to start it again 5 minutes later and it won't start !! Its like the batteries are dead - just clicks and the lights on the dashboard click off and on.  Put a voltmeter over each of the batteries and both are reading 12.1v with the engine off.

Are we talking knackered alternator here ??

There is a sticker on the alternator with these figures on it "15CH, 6641, 863B 806798, 150"  I can't see a manufacturers name.

If the alternator is knackered can someone please tell me what type of alternator l've got OR what brand and type fits a trooper 3.0td 4JX1 1998 citation.

It's night time now but in the morning l'll see if l can get it started via jump leads - if l can l will post the charging volts from the alternator unloaded/loaded.

Cheers.

Steve
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 21:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitachi 90 amp  LR190-750 or  LR 190-750B Isuzu 897215-9922.

You may have the earlier 70 amp one look at the smaller wires going to the alt are there one or two and what colours the plug ?
steviebax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

There appears to be two white wires coming from the alternator and one little brown wire all by itself.

Jumped the trooper to get it started and managed to get a volt reading across the battery with the engine running.

At idle the voltmeter was reading about 11 volts and when revved to about 2500 rpm it raised to about 12 - 12.5 volts which is consistent with the reading from the dashboard volt gauge.  It does occasionally get as high as 13 volts.

So l'm going to assume the alternator is knackered - what do you think ???

Anybody know where l can get a alternator for a decent price ?????
steviebax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need confirmation on this trooper alternator as the only numbers l can find on it are these  :-

R8971845310
G23753

Can someone please tell me what alternator will fit my 1998 3.0td 4JX1 UBS73 CITATION ???

I need part numbers ??? Can l fit the 90amp version - if indeed the one l have is the 75amp one ???

I want to buy a new one but don't know what will fit etc etc etc

Clarification please ??
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

LRA02221 ISUZU Trooper 3.0 DTI 2999ccm 4JX1 90AMP

LRA02217 ISUZU Trooper 3.0 DTI 2999ccm 4JX1 60AMP

LRA02219 ISUZU Trooper 3.0 DTI     2999ccm 4JX1 70AMP
steviebax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers matey.

I've checked out the part number which was on the alternator - turns out to be an Isuzu part number for an Hitachi 70amp alternator.

Checked Milners 4x4 and they have two version but seem to be talking about plug size ??

Apparently the plug for their 75amp version is smaller than their 90amp ??

I'm having real trouble finding a 70amp replacement on eblag and l was wondering if l could fit a 90amp however if the plug size is different does that mean l'm stuffed ??
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 70 has the small plug which is white and the 90 has a large  green one . Andys Auto Parts  do a 90 amp alt for £100 on the bay .

Any Lucas Dealer can get you the 70 amp one from that LRA number which is the universal code for the thing .

The 90 is easy to fit the only issue being sometimes the belts are a bit tight  but do go on with a bit of fiddling and one wire would need to be added to the loom .
steviebax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

So l've checked the colour of the plug and it is not green. It's kind of a creamy white/grey sort of colour.

As l've mentioned before there are two thick white wires that connect to the back with a nut and a single wire with this creamy dirty white two pin connector on it.

Therefore that must mean mine is the 70amp version.

I spoke to Andy autoparts and gave him my engine spec and reg etc - he seems to think the 90amp is a fit for it.

My trooper is an import so Andy autoparts couldn't get the full spec just got the engine size etc.

You've mentioned that if l fit the 90amp l would have to add an additional wire to the loom!! That sounds extremely daunting. What exactly do you mean ??

Steve
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to connect the S terminal in the alt to the battery + or the main fuse in  the fuse box with a 1mm sq wire.
And cut off the old alt plug .
Both wires would terminate in 6.3mm insulated female push ons at the alt end.
You would also have to make the current M6 white output wire terminals fit the the M8 stud on the 90 amp .
Bar doing the bloody job for you ,did I miss anything ?
steviebax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

That seems simple enough.  Thanks very much for all your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: