QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

to muffle or not

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
45gmc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 21:29    Post subject: to muffle or not Reply with quote

I plan on installing a stainless exhaust system once the weather warms up. But the salt was faster than me, so I installed a rear pipe from my parts truck and tried to use the muffler as well, the muffler was a no go soo rather than purchasing a new muffler only to replace it later with a stainless system I thought I would experiment with a straight pipe. I like the sound and the extra power. That got me to thinking hmm what if I put on a straight through muffler in stainless once I redo the system. Two questions… what pipe diameter size works best, and are there any ill effects to a straight through muffler, basically a non muffler?
I will need something that at least looks like a muffler for the yearly inspection....
1993 Bighorn 4jg2 3.1 td
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 21:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ecp
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 23:22    Post subject: strait through Reply with quote

i did this a few years ago and decided to put a small box back box on which just gives a nice muffled tone, i did not want the full on tracktor sound of no box, system is much better and added bonus of stainless quality, would recomend it , extra power is no really noticable but prob gives a bit extra BHP.
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the troop went for a full on straight through, sounded like a tractor and droned, fitted a small free flow muffler and it gave it a nice tone. Can't remember the pipe diameter.
wicklamulla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it the case that you need a muffler to help with back pressure which in turn helps when towing or is it better to have a straight thru system made from a bigger bore pipe ?   I'm not sure if a straight thru actually frees up more horses or not ?
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

wicklamulla wrote:
is it the case that you need a muffler to help with back pressure which in turn helps when towing or is it better to have a straight thru system made from a bigger bore pipe ?   I'm not sure if a straight thru actually frees up more horses or not ?

Not really when its after the turbo,same size as the pipe out the turbo is just fine with a small back can to take the rasp out .

Any of those ones the noisy kids use will work ,magnex ,savage,mongoose -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: