4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Give it some beans and it dies (3.1)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylor6632

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 23:42    Post subject: Give it some beans and it dies (3.1) Reply with quote

Recently got my 3.1 trooper 1995 and its had some fuel issues. Think there was/is some *beep* in tank as previous owner ran bio for last few years. Its got new ish fuel lines and a few weeks old filter.

When i give it some beans to overtake its fine for first few gears, then it starts to stutter a bit above 2000rpm. If you them dump the clutch she splutters and cuts out unless you keep up the revs. Little bit of air in the pipe between filter and pump so assuming i've either got a blocked something along the lines or an air leak. Could the primer be leaking as the lines should be good as old owner had no issues at all but was using bio heater and filters. Changed it back to old housing and new filter when he sold it to me (day i got it).

Will add its fine when normal driving and changing gear below 2000rpm around town.

1997 Trooper 3.1 LWB Duty, 2" body lift, 3" suspension lift, rough country shocks

1992 Trooper 3.1 SWB Duty, 2" suspension lift, Snorkel
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 23:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bio eh.

Now it becoms clearer. I say the bio has stripped the crud in the system and blocked the filter. The previous owner has changed the filter and not done it properly and its now either loose, or the seals have pinched/split causing air to be drawn in. That would be your problem ... well theobvious one anyway.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Browndoff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a general comment on something you said:          "its fine when normal driving and changing gear below 2000rpm"           Internal Combustion Engines ALL run most smoothly between 2500 and 3000. That's their 'comfort zone'. Yes, the engine is quieter at lower speeds - but any power-demand tends to cause vibration etc. 'cos its most efficient range of operation is at HIGHER revs. You're doing your car NO FAVOUR if you always change gear below 2750 RPM. If the power-demand is high - pulling a heavy load uphill - don't change up a gear until you reach 3250 RPM.

Many people think a QUIET engine is a completely unstressed engine - but that IS NOT SO! They are designed to run best in the middle range of speeds.
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browndoff wrote:
Just a general comment on something you said:          "its fine when normal driving and changing gear below 2000rpm"           Internal Combustion Engines ALL run most smoothly between 2500 and 3000. That's their 'comfort zone'. Yes, the engine is quieter at lower speeds - but any power-demand tends to cause vibration etc. 'cos its most efficient range of operation is at HIGHER revs. You're doing your car NO FAVOUR if you always change gear below 2750 RPM. If the power-demand is high - pulling a heavy load uphill - don't change up a gear until you reach 3250 RPM.

Many people think a QUIET engine is a completely unstressed engine - but that IS NOT SO! They are designed to run best in the middle range of speeds.

Ar*e!
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed kennymac. When your engine red lines at 4000 rpm, thrashing it almost to that all the time will shaft it double quick. I very very rarely top 3000 rpm, and to be honest I change up around 2500. Engine pulls nicely, smoothly and returns 38 mpg.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dread tae think whit the boss would say if he found me regularly hittin 3250rpm on the upshift an runnin about at 2500 - 3000 rpm wie the FH lol
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a thought this morning - would also be worth checking the tank breather is ok, is there an inrush of air when you take the filler cap off?
taylor6632

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

no inrush of air when i remove it, and the past owner never had any issues with his pipe work or tank, however he was running a pair of bio filters and heater rather than the standard housing and filter. Thats why i've spent last few hours up workshop cleaning the housing and putting it all back together with a new filter.

1997 Trooper 3.1 LWB Duty, 2" body lift, 3" suspension lift, rough country shocks

1992 Trooper 3.1 SWB Duty, 2" suspension lift, Snorkel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: