QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Probable Starter Motor Issue!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Briggo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:29    Post subject: Probable Starter Motor Issue! Reply with quote

Hi All,

This is my first post so here goes! Had a 3.1. Citation for a good 10 years now with no major issues - fantastic bit of kit!!  Very Happy

Just recently however, the starter motor has started to play up. When trying to start it just whirrs without engaging. after about three or four tries it will engage and the engine starts on the first turn as per normal. I suspect the starter but wanted to check:-

1 - Is it an easy job to replace?

2 - Can the starter be refurbished successfully rather than replaced?

Cheers,

Phil
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Briggo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 16:06    Post subject: Re: Probable Starter Motor Issue! Reply with quote

Briggo wrote:
Hi All,

This is my first post so here goes! Had a 3.1. Citation for a good 10 years now with no major issues - fantastic bit of kit!!  Very Happy

Just recently however, the starter motor has started to play up. When trying to start it just whirrs without engaging. after about three or four tries it will engage and the engine starts on the first turn as per normal. I suspect the starter but wanted to check:-

1 - Is it an easy job to replace?

2 - Can the starter be refurbished successfully rather than replaced?

Cheers,

Phil

Anybody out there?!  Question Smile
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll brave the tumble weeds , yes it's replaceable and you can get it reconditioned naround 50 quid or take one from scrapers
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are are all bit worried to reply as some other member posted he is selling his 3.1 as he cant get one of the starter motor bolts off or helping out on how to get stain marks off trooper carpets for another member lol .

Possibly you are made of stronger  stuff ?  So first swap the the two relays (X16 & X17) over, 6th row back from the front as thats the starter one which can sometimes play up. Check the nuts tight on the starter cable on the motor too .

I've not taken a 3.1 starter off but cant be  too hard with the right tools  wait a bit and somebody will post up now.

Says in the manual -
REMOVAL
Preparation
· Battery ground cable (both batteries)
1. Oil Level Gauge and Guide
· Remove the guide and plug the hole on the oil pan.
2. Clutch Slave Cylinder
· Remove the slave cylinder and wire it to the frame.
3. Starter Wiring Connector
· Disconnect the connector from terminals “B” and " S "

You could just put a set of brushes  in or a new  solenoid on ,mostly its just the solenoid that fails there is a company that sells them on the net but cant recall em a the moment .
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter will come off far easier than that:

Disconnect battery earth

Flat bladed screwdriver for the starter solenoid lead.

13mm spanner for the starter feed

17mm spanner for formost lower bottom bolt, and 17mm socket on extensions for aft lower bottom nut.

17mm spanner for formost upper top bolt, and 17mm ring spanner on aft upper nut. Trick here is to reverse the spanner so the ring is on the rear nut and the spanner is angled towards the front of the truck clearing the bulkhead. To get more leverage then hook another ring spanner onto the first.

Starter should then wriggle around the dipstick and lift out.

This is my polite reply to the afore mentioned question  Very Happy

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

bg trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 15:10    Post subject: probable starter motor issues Reply with quote

Well I can only say that removing a starter motor from my 3 litre trooper with the 4jx1 engine is like brain surgery and putting it back is twice as difficult.I have done this operation now 6 times. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: