2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Front axle conversion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isuzu_Man03
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 21:27    Post subject: Front axle conversion Reply with quote

I have something, big in the pipe line, and I'm looking into to convert the front axle to a solid axle, what would be the best axle to use to match the Isuzu rear ratio? Plus any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joshua
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 21:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Pete_88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet would be to get a pair of nissan patrol axles (y61's would be best I think) it'll involve a hell of a lot of work and a fair bit of cash though.
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissan Y61's are a good set , the CV joints are very large and the rear can be had with a factory locker on most LWB versions . They are what I put under my 90 with no issues to date running 36" tires.

If you want to shop around looking for a ratio match its gonna be very hard as there is not really such a list even on here it dont show all the ratios.

http://arb.com.au/media/products/air-lockers/application_chart.pdf

Say you have a 3.0 ,thats  a 4.300 to 1 so you need a solid front with the same ratio . Cant see one in there .

There was an  eeebyyguum bloke offering a set of Nissan Y60 axles that he had under a trooper and it didnt look a huge job ,just doing the front radius arm mounts to the chassis will be the hardest but you can buy loads of brackets and shock mounts from.

http://www.wrexracing.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=16000
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah patrol axles are about the right width. Lot of work to do it right.
I started looking into doing it but saved myself the hassle lol
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 21:31    Post subject: Re: Front axle conversion Reply with quote

Isuzu_Man03 wrote:
I have something, big in the pipe line, and I'm looking into to convert the front axle to a solid axle, what would be the best axle to use to match the Isuzu rear ratio? Plus any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Joshua

By big, do you mean the price tag that Independent 4x have put on their kit. Wink
Appreciate it includes the ARB locker but the £ needs to do a bit more climbing to make it affordable.
To be fair, Matt of Independent 4x done a very good post on planetisuzoo covering his complete R&D and build before listing his kits.
https://www.independent4x.com/Isuzu-12-Bolt-Dana-60-Hybrid-Custom-Front-Axle_p_204.html
Isuzu_Man03
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not big that way retro pedro
Wilky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Lundstrom has done at least two Y61 conversions on Troopers that I know of, the blue one he did I've seen in action quite a few times, very very capable, it did some sections at a trial event that Paul couldn't do in his 80 series on 37's, which wound Paul up a bit and his engine quite a bit more, but to be fair wheelbase was probably his best advantage and anyone who has seen Paul competing or just P&P'ing will know how hard he drives his truck, both the two he did had to have a steering box conversion as neither the Trooper or Patrol one would work.

Y60 and Y61 axles are as strong as it gets over here without having Portals, but they're not invincible, here's a clip of Gaz busting a shaft at Cowm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_F0a0JEC40

Looks like it busts easy but it didn't, I was there and the vid doesn't do justice to what he was doing, his Patrol has the 4.2 conversion, methanol injection TVVT's etc.

But before all that work and expense, I'd shove a locker in your current front axle, you'll be impressed at the difference and getting rid of the stored energy phenomenon overcomes the problems of IFS, I know it's an age old argument in the offroading game, but in the traction against articulation argument, I'm on the side of traction every time.
Isuzu_Man03
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice, hopefully I'll get there eventually, but for now I'll shove a diff lock in for now till I can source some y61 axles
Isuzu_Man03
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tomorrow I'm picking up a pair of patrol axles, and I'm hoping to convert my SWB, any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm hoping to do build thread.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're setting the axels up try to make the diff flanges match the gearbox flanges for angle or you get horrible vibrations from the props .
Isuzu_Man03
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, anymore tips gribble?
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty
You can use the Isuzu sotf to work the nissan locker .

Disco 2 extended brake hoses will work just fine and should match up to the troopers fittings .

Y61 axels are 111mm in the centre hole so start looking for some or buy a die grinder and practice making Isuzu ones bigger lol not sure about Y60 but be the same oi rekons .

I think the Nissan prop flange  pcd is the same as Isuzu so thats one job done .

Nissan rear diffs like EP 140 for hard off roading and the front one hold about 6 litres lol .

The front swivels and be sanded down and repainted so they seal as the cv runs in grease not oil ,the seal just keeps muck out .

If you can get the Nissan front axle radius arms they should just fit outside the Isuzu chassis (check it first ) so buy yourself some of these -

http://www.wrexracing.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=16000_16603&product_id=177

How your going to do the upper spring mounts I'm not to sure but there are pics on the net .

You will need to fabricate and fit a front pan hard rod so try to blag as much as you can from the doner car .

Try to get diesel Nissan axles as the petrols have very low ratios  the 4.37 is ideal .
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blunder . The Nissan arms fit into the land rover front radius arm mounts like these -

http://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-110-FRONT-RADIUS-ARM-CHASSIS-MOUNTING-RH-84-06-/281338162189?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41810fac0d

Ive put Johnny joints on mine hence the wrex brackets . You can do that if you want it gives much better articulation for the front but its 200 quids worth of bits  Confused

Didn't pay that though  Wink
Isuzu_Man03
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to get all the relevant bits I need off the vehicle. I'm going to see where the axle sit on the vehicle and then see where I need to put the spring mount. I may need abit more help with the rear locker when I get to it but thanks for the help so far. I'm sure I'll be asking you a fair few questions.
Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I lived closer ..
This is the kind of project I'd like to be involved in..

Look forward to updates

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: