QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

strange starting and smokey... 3.0

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kev3185

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02    Post subject: strange starting and smokey... 3.0 Reply with quote

Hi all

Having a strange problem with the trooper...

Sometimes when starting it's like it misses a crank, it'll do 2 or 3 cranks then skip then carry on. will go a few days without doing it then will do it a few times the same day then disappear again (usually when i go to record it to upload here it starts fine... bah)
It always starts so it's a bit strange... when it does start it ticks over nicely and drives perfectly, no missed beats etc leading me away from an injector. when it does the crank issue tho it is really smokey when she fires up until we drive for a couple of mins then it seems to burn off (white smoke with a hint of blue so thinking oil?) If I stop and go to restart she fires up straight away with no smoke, it's only when left for a while. I'm currently thinking an injector seal could be the cause of the smoke as once its burnt off the cause then it's all good. would this cause the crank issue too? I have also noticed that the engine bay seems to have oil marks like its spraying from somewhere (right behind throttle body) could just be a threaded bolt not sealing properly, will try and trace out where exactly tonight. It's not massive but still there, need to top the oil up every 2-3 months so a leak somewhere up top for sure.

A secondary issue... this has been going on for around a year...

First thing on a morning takes around 7-10 seconds of cranking to start but the rest of the day usually straight away unless left all day then back to around 7 seconds. Thinking this might be a no return valve broken on the fuel line? if it has one? or maybe glow plugs. It has also always been smokey first thing tho only white smoke and stopped after a min of idleing, it never carried on like it does now. It never bothered me enough to look into as something else is always clawing at my bank account... Worse in colder weather not as bad in summer so probably glow plugs.

Just got the MOT done last month so hoping we can narrow it down without too many "try changing this" like our local garage used to do before I started doing the work myself!   Laughing

2000 citation 3.0td

Thanks in advance!  Very Happy  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

kev3185

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like glow plugs down causing the smokey start and maybe the clutch on the starter motor slipping every now and again, quite a common problem on the 3.0l
kev3185

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank eithan

not sure that's the problem now as its progressed today...

It is now smokey on every start more than an hour apart. Also today noticed the temp gauge higher than normal which on checking we had lost about 3L of coolant from somewhere. No obvious leaks tho.

On topping up the rad I noticed there was back pressure chucking it back out again, in like a big air bubble, then it would drop back, then a few seconds later it would bubble back up again...

Coolant is also unusually cloudy in appearance. Exhaust is mostly greyish black with a hint of blue. popped the oil filler cap off and there seems to be a small amount of exhaust coming out of there, could just be steam but seems to have pulsed pressure like if you put your hand over the end of the exhaust.

Possibly a trip out to Trooper Dan is in order
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

any smell of diesel in the oil?
ff3045

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had same trouble with mine and what I found was the main outlet pipe on the tank was holed fixed the holes cleaned tank and lines out now it runs sweet hope this helps someone
kev3185

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update...

I took it to see TrooperDan who thought there was air getting into the fuel, although sod's law it wouldn't smoke when we took it there.
Fuel lines were picked up on at the mot last month anyway so got that done last night (both of them) and cut a nice access panel in the boot as well to make life easier.

Problem still exists and seems to be getting worse! fuel consumption is also getting worse.

Fuel tank also looks like it has been replaced in the last few years so no worries with that.
kev3185

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil smells ok to me but needs changing anyway. hoping to get that done this weekend.

We found the oil that I mentioned as well. Seemed to be mist from the throttle hose/pipe thingy... so again no worries there.

Dan said it was possibly the orps but that was only done a year ago ish. could still be that but looking at other options first.

Exhaust is now more white/grey, only a small hint of blue but carries on for ages leaving clouds behind us. Sad
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head gasket .. get a sniff test done. Thats my easy, cheap to determine guess.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

kev3185

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

shame on you Rhanagar don't use such horrible words!  Shocked

I really hope its not the head gasket...  Crying or Very sad
kev3185

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody came up with an idea... when the exuast was changed a few months back, around when this started I could have damaged the front manifold heat sensor causing it to suck up more fuel as it thinks its cold...

Where would I find the sensor and how can I check it?
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The what?    Never heard of it on a trooper?
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kev .. unfortunately the test is simple and quick to do. You could spend the same amount of money of fixing things which aren't wrong in the process of getting to the same conclusion.  Sad

Might not be the case but at least it will rule it out.

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the flip side Trooperdan should be able to sort it out if that is the case.

Deceased

kev3185

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a guy my wife works with had that problem on his car, wasn't a trooper tho but still worth asking you guys about it.... no I know there isn't one on this car Razz

Yeah I know Rhanagar, just never seems to be a simple problem with my cars lol but that's why I joined up here, hope one day I can be the one helping other people out!

Will get a kit sorted and try it. Will keep this post updated including the cure when I find it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: