2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Alternative Diesel

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lossie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 0:10    Post subject: Alternative Diesel Reply with quote

I saw Scrapheap Challenge this evening and one of the teams was running a Diesel engine on old chip oil !! Is this true? Is it legal ??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 0:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

rallycol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally legal ,but you are supposed to pay duty on it ! Pay the duty once keep the receipt ,then drive forever Wink
Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of alternative fuels...my Dad-in-law ran his Audi diesel on heating oil @ 10p per litre and it covered over 90k using it! I tried it in my old 2.8td Trooper and didn't notice any difference either, but I never had the bottle to try a full tank - I used to mix it 50/50. Try this site for info on alternative fuels for diesel engines..... www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html. Sorry I can't place it as a link but I'm not that clever yet!! Embarassed
Keep truckin'.
Leo.
Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow me! It posted as a link - I'm smarter than wot I thought!! Very Happy
Leo
pikeyboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running my 3.1 on it for a while now and use a 50 50 mix new veg oil to diesel. I didnt run it on veg oil when the temp dropped v low recently as it is a tiny bit more difficult to start, runs fine when warm though. My mates and i have run various typs and makes of cars on it over the years without any probs.....45p a litre from the cash and carry for a 20 litre drum is more expensive than using the kwik save specail but you can only get that in 3 litre containers.
trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13377

More info. on this interesting topic.
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefull chaps you will have the excise men round its about a £500 pound spot fine. frank sucevic.
shinz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another forum of them being described as the "frying squad" apparently your exhaust smells like a fish & chip shop when running on biodiesel Smile
Cheers, Steve.
davedgreat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

got this on one of the links, about Gumming up the engine

Vegetable oil is made up from three molecules of a fatty acid chemically bonded by nature to one molecule of Glycerol. If you think of the letter E, the vertical line of the E is the glycerol and the horizontal lines are the three fatty acids.

It so happens that the natural fatty acids in vegetable oil have between 18 and 22 carbon atoms in them, which is pretty much a perfect mixture for a diesel engine.

From cold, you cannot start a Diesel engine on vegetable oil - it just won't vaporize or atomize in the cold, but if you pre-heat the vegetable oil or get the engine hot on normal diesel, and then switch to cold vegetable oil, the engine will run OK for a reasonable length of time. Your DIY kit will do one of the above to get over the cold starting problem.

But the BIG problem is with the Glycerol molecule - in the engine it forms gums and resins - and eventually blocks the injectors or gums up the piston rings - and you will then need an engine overhaul.

If you do want to run on a vegetable oil based renewable fuel, then you should run what is called bio-diesel. This is a chemically modified form of vegetable oil, where the Glycerol has been stripped away in a simple chemical reaction, leaving just the fatty acid molecules in the fuel.

Bio-diesel is used in exactly the same way as petroleum diesel, and NO modification needs be made to the engine at all.

So please, either stick with conventional diesel, or the new diesel with 5% or more of bio-diesel, or some garages sell 100% bio-diesel (like the RIX stations near Hull) in a reasonable attempt at a renewable fuel.

There is an immediate EU directive for between 5% and 10% of bio-diesel to be added to petroleum diesel throughout Europe.

If you mix vegetable oil with petroleum diesel, that will get over the cold starting problem, but you still need to be prepared for the expense of the "de-coke" to remove the glycerol resins inside the engine.

Please do not confuse Bio-diesel with Vegetable Oil, they are not the same thing at all.

Dave
Matty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 21:50    Post subject: Alternative Diesel Reply with quote

Guys - Big cautionary note here please. Using un refined vegetable oil or used cooking fat is not a long term option. As stated resins form and not just in the engine but more importantly in your diesel fuel pump an expensive failure.
Some info for you - Forecourt diesel must meet a specification called EN590 (you'll see it on the pumps). The maximum amount of bio-diesel that can be put into forecourt diesel and still meet this spec is 5%. Hence Rix petroleum, Tesco (Global diesel), Broadland fuels, Petroplus etc sell product to this spec. More importantly still the biodiesel blended in must meet EN14214 - this prevents any unrefined rubbish being used.
Yes you can use higher blends but you will invalidate ANY warranty you have on your vehicle. Higher blends can attack rubber seals and gaskets.
For stations selling Bio-diesel visit www.est.org.uk and look at the refuelling map.
For more info also visit www.vegburner.co.uk
mgirdwood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

approximately how many miles would we be looking at roughly until engine gunks up?

thinking about using it on the 10yr old diesel fiesta, on its 2nd go around the clock & due to retire shortly

frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems better in non turbo charged engines(so i have been told) Wink
Paul.K

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I've thought about it long and hard but even as tight as I am I couldn't bear the thought of replacing a fuel pump or anything else expensive. I would have nightmares about it Confused
Cheers
yangreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little white spirit apparently helps prevent gunging. Wouldn't try it on the 3.0 though! Common rail diesels can't cope with it generally.
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

heating oil as in central heating is what you mix it with same price as red 50/50 allthough its a acelerant the cooking oil calms it down plus 5ltr of good engine oil to a 45 gallon drum this allso gives the top half of your engine a good decoke when you go back on pump fuel as you arrive back in england you feel like you have a new engine (or so ive been told) Wink frank sucevic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: