2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1td died and now will not start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aceideas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 15:31    Post subject: 3.1td died and now will not start Reply with quote

Hi all.  Scratching my head now and hopefully someone can help!
Have a 1997 31.td Bighorn Auto.
Had a badly rusted set of top pipes on my fuel tank, got a decent 2nd hand one cleaned it up and fitted it along with new hoses etc.
Fuel flow was fine started first time and have run it for a few weeks now.
about 5 days ago got the water in filter warning and purged the filter, pumped until just diesel coming out closed it up and started ok and no light.
Has been driven over the last week with no problem.  Went in to the garage for the front exhaust section and then went to collect animal feed.  Again no problems until the return trip (about 10 miles)  half way home the engine just died.  All the dash lights on and nothing else.
Managed to coast into a layby but could not re-start.  Plenty of fuel, checked the filter, re-drained,, primed the pump all to no avail.
Managed to get a tow back home and had a look on the forum and did some diagnostics etc.
Fuel coming out of the primer and into the injector pump.
Fuel coming out of the injector pump to tank return
No fuel coming out of the injector lines.

Forums point to the stop solenoid and immobiliser. Found the post where Wez describes what to do , great I thought, got it sussed!
Went to the injector pump and low and behold it is completely different from the pictures and the descriptions I could find !

Two photo's below
One is the top view and shows a plastic/Baker light type box on the right side with an ignition lead type of cable coming out of it and dropping below the injector pump.
The other is the best view I can get from the rear and shows no plastic cover but has got a single wire going to the top of a plug (looks similar to a typical temperature sensor plug and about the same sort of size).

Can't hear a click from the injector when the ignition is turned on/off.

Run out of ideas!    Can anyone help?

Can't seem to get the photo's uploaded (anyone help out?)
Top View
[img]http://C:\Users\Family\Pictures\001 Isuzu fuel\top.jpg[/img]

Back View
[img]http://C:\Users\Family\Pictures\001 Isuzu fuel\back view.jpg[/img]
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 15:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

aceideas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 18:43    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Ok, The bit at the back is the solenoid, guess I'm lucky and don't have an imobiliser!

Got it off and managed to pull the plunger out of the body of the pump.
Solenoid works ok and confirmed that I get voltage to the solenoid connecting lead when ignition is on.
Put the solenoid back in but without the plunger.
Undid one of the injector pipes at the pump and turned over the engine.  No fuel coming out of the injector pump port.
Tightened up all of the connections and turned it over several times "to get fuel through".
Undid the return flow banjo at the pump, fuel spurted out.
Took the solenoid body back off and pressed the primer pump, fuel came out of the solenoid port.
Got my other half to turn the ignition over and fuel comes out of the solenoid port, but only slightly more than when I press the primer pump.  
Shouldn't be under greater pressure and "spurt out" rather than trickle out?

Trying to figure out the next steps given that:
The pump is obviously "working" in that it is turning and pumping an amount of fuel, just doesn't seem a lot.
The solenoid is ok and without the plunger should not be restricting fuel flow.

Anyone any ideas whether the fuel flow should be higher and if so what might be causing the problem?
If the fuel flow seems ok any one any ideas at all where I go next or what the problem may be?

|I'm going to back track and check the fuel pipes from front to rear incase any of them have a blockage or a leak which could be giving a problem but can't see why that would have cut the engine dead!
Grandad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

the injection pump you have is electronically controlled so you have an ECU and various sensors you could have a mechanical problem inside the pump Quite possible as you said the water light was on because the filter needed draining
I had one recently that stopped and would not start 96 bighorn and the timing belt was loose and had jumped a couple of teeth had fuel pumping out the injectors but would not fire so i would check the pump timing first by taking off the small belt cover and turn the crank to tdc see where the injection pulley is
if thats ok dissconnect an injector pipe turn it over no fuel squirting out then you have either a mechanical or electrical problem in the pump and the fastest way to diagnose that is to run it in to somewhere like http://www.feather-diesel.co.uk/ in Halifax because you may try replacing sensors or ecu etc but they have the equipment and they should be able to tell you with in an hour exactly whats wrong
aceideas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:40    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Grandad.
Had already checked for fuel coming out at the injector and had none.
This morning I have disconnected the main fuel feed at the filter output and connected straight to a can with fresh clean diesel in it.  Cranked over a few times, leaving it to cool in between, no joy and still no fuel coming from the injector feed.
Currently got the electrics disconnected, (see if anything gets re-set when power is removed! (straws and clutching).
Getting it over to Halifax would be difficult as it won't start and I don't have a trailer.
I may need to find someone closer to home or a call out.
Anyone in East Lancashire/West Yorkshire know of someone who can handle Isuzu's properly without ripping you off?
As always, ANY help is really appreciated! scratch
Grandad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not join the AA ring  them up and tell them thats the garage you wont to go to worth the fee to get them to drag you 30 miles could save you a lot of aggravation
aceideas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 15:18    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Thanks Grandad.
Yes that had crossed my mind.
However, I've just shorted pins 5&6 on the diagnostics port (16 pin) and got code 31.EGR EVRV Sensor Circuit Low.
As the exhaust just got fixed! but is blowing badly before the box.  Could this be the cause.  I'm about to fix the exhaust so will wait and see.
Do I need to reset anything to get the sensor back to normal?
Grandad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same system on my bighorn and the evrv is disconnected on mine and no egr at all manifold blocked off so I don't think that would be your problem
aceideas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 21:11    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Finally managed to get hold of another pump, new filter, new cam belt etc. et.
Fuel from a Jerry can via the filter (filled the new filter first)
Primed it until the pump was solid then turned her over.............................started up straight away!

Now I've got to tidy up, drain the tank just in case (fuel lines already cleaned out) and make sure I get everything back in place correctly (and tight).

Only area I'm still struggling is the vacuum pipe birdsnest.  Tried to keep them in place but lost that battle.  Should have mapped them all before I started.
Anyone have a good guide or picture of the correct arrangement?
I will be blocking off the EGR but need to get back to a known good point and then go from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: