All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Non starter 3.0td

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 18:02    Post subject: Non starter 3.0td Reply with quote

Evening all,
The old girls been really good for quite a while now but as we all know, you don't go too long before the 4XJ1 plays up.
I started her yesterday and she was idling a bit erratically. I was only doing a short journey and I gave it some welly, in case there was some *beep* in the fuel. When driving slowly it felt like she was running away a little bit but nothing significant.
Got in it today and she won't start at all. Turning beautifully but not even thinking about firing. It had the TPS harness recall done a week back, in case that could be a clue.
As usual, any help is always appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 18:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

brake light fuse, white wire trick, extra 2 litres of oil are about the main things to check first after that you need a multimeter or tech2
CharlieD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eithan. Brake lights are all fine. The mysterious white wire trick. Where is it? There's a connector near the TPS that has loads of wires going and out but they all look the same colour. Is there a pic any where. The dipstick is at the max mark. What will two more litres of oil do?
Thanks again.
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

on that connector one side is all pink but on the other side in the middle of one of the rows should be a white wire or maybe yellowish brown now with age but remove this wire and see if it starts, if it does you need a new orps.
over filling by two litres checks for the strainer in the sump as they have a habit of falling off
CharlieD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had an ORPS about four years ago. How likely is it that it's gone again? If I pull the wire and it starts can I still use it?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite possible, i personally think they should be changed every 60k or 5 yrs.
this is a test only as it will put a default figure of oil pressure in to the ecu so it will inject for that pressure which will be wrong and could cause damage if driven
CharlieD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eithan, I'll give it a try. How difficult a job is the ORPS? I'm not too bad with the tools. I paid Proven Motors to do it before but I had money then, kids now mean I'm skint  Surprised I know it needs hooking up to the Tech2 when done but will I be able to drive it to them for that?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's easy you just need a ground down 14mm spanner to get it out and yes you can drive it but remember to get them to release the pressure in the pipe before they zero it
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some blokes done a sticky post on orps change so of you follow that he will setter new orps for free.
If it is the orps playing up  lol
CharlieD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gents. Going back to the two extra litres of oil. If its that and the oil pick up is broken, are replacements mega money and is that an easy enough job?
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to be about £70 plus a couple of quid for a new seal and it's a very easy job to do
CharlieD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate. I'll bung some more oil in tomorrow. Just seen Milners do a ORPS for £112. Anyone know anything about them? That's a fair bit cheaper than genuine part.
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are fine to use but speak to trooper dan on here he might be able to better it
CharlieD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, your attention please!! I put two extra litres of oil in it and hey presto, after a few turns, she fired up. So I've assumed that it's a strainer issue. Dropped the sump, had to loosen some cross member thing so I could get it out!! Two strainers, both are still in place. The shorter one seems very slightly loose, both appear OK, no obvious cracks or damage. What now?
Do I need to get them both out and visually inspect further and I assume there's some sort of O ring where they fix onto the engine? The longer one looks like an interesting job to fit an O ring to!!
Thanks awfully  Very Happy
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

most likely the seal has worn and it's sucking air, you only need to concentrate really on the short one but the long one is easy to do as well. they both use the same seal and look at the bracket on the short one if it's got a very thin thickness bracket then thats the unmodded strainer as the new one has a very thick bracket to stop it snapping so you could do with replacing it and the seal and remember to put a smear of sealant around the seal as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: