QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil leak??

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimboy11

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:54    Post subject: Oil leak?? Reply with quote

Hi,

This is my first post on the forums and I don't really know much about cars.

I have a bighorn 93 and I believe the oil is leaking.

If I leave the car on the driveway the next day there will be like a patch of oil stain on the ground.

These patches could be either small or a fair decent size of about a soccer ball?

I want to sell this car on behalf of my parents and get them a newer car but don't know if its worth getting this fixed and if I should just do it myself? (I'm really really don't know much about cars)

I think taking it to the shop would cost heaps for labor?

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

darren m

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it an auto or manual

wipe it clean as you can , run it for a while , turn engine off ,  get under with a torch and see if you can get a clue where it is coming from for starters.

oh and dip your oil , make sure your not running on empty .

then come back and tell us

99 LWB 3.0 TD Citation

2000 LWB 3.0 / 3.1TD Duty conversion
Browndoff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'soccer-ball' sized leak is BIG! If it drips that much just over ONE night, then it must be something loose - like an oil-filter not 'seated' properly, or knackered threads on the sump-plug.

As suggested by Darren - first be sure it's got ENOUGH oil in the sump to run safely! Then look underneath to where it's dripping. You might see it dripping from a structural cross-member - which would NOT be the real source - so you'd have to clean THAT and look further 'up' for a source from the engine or gear-box.

With such a big stain, it SHOULD be obvious - but, if it's NOT, then I'd clean the whole engine with a power-hose and some detergent - let it dry and then try again!
Andreatalo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have also a fairly big oil leak from my 2004 Trooper 3.0 TD. I looked under the car and it is difficult to find the source.
The garage changed the oil and filters thinking that it was coming from the filter near the dipstick tube, but the leak is still there.
It seems to be from the left hand side of the engine,seating in the car, but at the front, infact there is oil also on the 4x4 mechanism at the front axle.
Any help appreciated.
Many thanks
Andreatalo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link sent by my mechanic posted on youtube
http://youtu.be/9-JJ6kiVKWc
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cause might be the plug on the back of the hpop or the O seals on the face ,the oil then soaks into the foam soundproofing making it hard to find the cause.

If you clean down the hpop with brake cleaning fluid or similar and let it dry off the start and let it tick over for a bit then with a good torch you may see the leak .
Andreatalo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advise Gribble. The guy at the garage said that there is a metal plate with a sound proofing sponge that covers the side of the engine and because of that cannot see where the leak is coming from.
Looking at the Trooper manual the Oring you say is it the one sealing the front of the engine ,where the cambelts are, from the hpop? If that failed wouldn't the oil go through the front of the engine and leak onto the belts?
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the oil drains down to the sump through the gears in the timing chest ,.Its the small O ring that can leak along with the O ring on the plug on the side of the hpop facing the head. .

The gears drive the hpop and there is a pulley on the front of the hpop gear that drives the cam belt .
Andreatalo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 2

3 2
Andreatalo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think it might be the smaller of the 2 Orings that leaks?
Because the garage has changed the cambelt and he would have noticed the leak?
It is definately something from the front of the engine otherwise the 4x4 mechanism would not be full of oil as well I thought.
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vac pump and the steering pump have both caused an engine oil leak in that area.

If you look at the sealing set up on the hoop you would see the smaller O seal which seals the returning oil in is below the larger one which seals the hoop mounting face to the back of the timing cover,now I'm not too sure but even in Berkshire oil won't run up hill and as the O seals on the back of the case and the cam belts on the front of the case  in front of the lip seal on the cam belt drive gear I don't think the tech would have seen it leaking .

What do you and the tech think drives the cambelt pulley lol
Andreatalo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm no I don't think in Berks the oil goes uphill .. Yet!! Very Happy  Very Happy
If that is the case and the o rings needs to be changed, then the oil pump needs to be removed,
Is it a big job to do, I suppose the belts needs to come out again etc.
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

No just the bolt that holds the pump to the shaft from the front.

Not a huge job ,a certain forum  moderator can get one off in under 30 mins so mere mortals would take an hour .  Smile

I would want to be sure that's where the leak is first though.
Andreatalo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course I need to clean the engine and see where it leaks from, I'm not excluding anything. The engine is running ok and there is power so I suppose the oil leaks from a worn gasket or o ring, I was also thinking about the head cover gasket, because the oil is from the front of the engine and runs back left and right sides of the bottom of the engine but mainly at the front right.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little oil squirted out a small hole under pressure will always look far far worse than it is. You would be surprised how little can cover everything. At least you don't have to worry about anything getting rusty anytime soon Smile

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: