QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3Ltr won't start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wummy gummal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 14:11    Post subject: 3Ltr won't start Reply with quote

Hi bought 3ltr trooper as a non runner,  did paper clip trick came up 63 orps. Put new 1 in, and it still doesn't start. There's no fault codes coming up with the paper clip, but when I turn engine over mil light flashes 3 times then stays on whilst its turning over. I took ecu immobilizer n transponder off my trooper n it did the same. I put the ecu etc on mine to check it n it started. I've now put right parts back on right troopers. Any suggestions please many thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 14:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The code you read may have been an old one and not active so don't put too much stock on that.

On the non runner does the IGN key fit the drivers door ?

Also try swapping the crank and cam sensors over .

You have of course done all the usual suspects for a non starting 3.0 .

Not too sure about 3 flashes then staying on ,sounds like an immmob issue but that seems to have been checked out ok .

You can flash code the immobiliser ECU but I can't remember which OBD pin it is just now ,I'll look later on .

Maybe slim jim from Oxford knows what 3 means . Surprised
wummy gummal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I seem to remember reading ages ago ethian had posted to some ones problem that 3 flashes n staying on meant cam n crank senors were not reading each other or out of sync. But I can't find the posting now. When I go back n have round 2 with the little baby I might well give it a tow, because would I be right in saying it only needs cam sensor to be working to start on the key?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally means they are out of sync when it flashes on cranking but it needs them both to start but only the crank to keep it running, could be crank sensor out of range but also check the timing is correct
wummy gummal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked timing, swapped cam sensor, still the same. Struggling to undo crank sensor bolt
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get it on a tech2 at all?
wummy gummal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi good news and not so good!!! Swapped crank sensor n she purred in to life, (hmmm a bit of a fiddle) stopped n started it at least 5 times before setting off home. Had to stop n do a delivery n noticed when I got there mil light comes on when I press clutch down. Silly me turned it off n now it's parked up there, until round 3! If I file a little bit off the sensor so it sit a little bit further in will this cure it? It didn't seem to have worked loose but with Big hands n hot oil filter n exhaust can't be sure. I guess it the end float in the crank oil pressure was good. Many thanks
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The end float is tiny on the 3.0 like 3 or 4 thou but the mil coming on when you press the clutch is a sure sign there trouble there.

I'd be checking it with a DTI at the crank pulley next  as when you push the clutch it pulls the timing ring away from the sensor ..
wummy gummal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi would like to say thanks for all the help, took crank sensor out Friday filed it down and not missed a beat. Not sure if the peeps who run ITOC will read this, I forgot how to spell my user name n password. Any emails to ITOC are not delivered, says something about permanent failure.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - enlighten the rest of us here, Gribble, please! He pared-down the sensor body so the probe goes in far enough to give a 'proper' signal from the Crank-Sensor and the engine now runs OK.

That's great - but isn't he just 'masking' a more serious problem of excessive end-float on the Crankshaft? Is this not a case of the 'stitch in time, saves nine'? Is it not the case that more extensive damage will be done to the engine if he doesn't tackle the Crankshaft problem now?
eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will wear and he will end up with the same problem again but as it's a complete strip down job it means for now it's working ok
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: