2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

vehicle speed sensor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topman1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 14:29    Post subject: vehicle speed sensor. Reply with quote

I acquired a replacement vss and we fitted it the other day to my 1994 bighorn, convinced 99% it would cure my overdrive problem.

It didn't. Shock!!!!!!!

Any if you learned gents on here give me a clue as to what else could be the problem.?  I still have no speedo, hence still no top gear or overdrive.

Awaiting your words if advice on what I should do next.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 14:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensor drive:

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32389

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

aj59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 21:49    Post subject: speed sensor Reply with quote

If you have replaced the speed sensor and speedo is still not working you may like to try the following to find the problem, I had the same fault on my 1998 Monterey.

First check sensor fuse.

Jack up  rear axle and secure on stands also chock front wheels , remove plug and sender unit, find piece of broom handle or similar about 4ft long, get a trusted assistant to start engine and engage 2nd gear, don't go under vehicle but observe drive from side with a torch, if its turning ok gently push broom handle against drive to give some resistance if it keeps turning against resistance drive is more than likely ok.

Switch off engine, then turn ignition back on and check for power and earth at sensor plug, you can check for live and earth by using a multi meter between the Black wire        ( Earth) and the White wire ( 12v), Power wire and sensor wire colour may vary with year. If there is no power or earth you will more than likely have a break in the wiring and will need to re wire live or earth side. If these are ok go to next step.

With speed sensor disconnected take  a piece of wire about 8ft long and bare both ends, push one end of wire into speed sensor plug terminal. Remove dash and speedo unit there should be enough slack in the wiring to flip speedo on top of dash. On the right hand multi plug you should find a wire the same colour as wire at sensor plug ( cant remember but it is probably the 7th or 8th from r/hand side of plug). Connect a multi meter set on continuity between pin on back of dash and end of wire that you have taken into cab, you will probably find that this wire has no continuity ( Break or dry joint)  I have now done my own Monterey and a trooper and both had a open circuit on sensor wire.

Don't waste time trying to find break, run a piece of 3 core flex from dash to gearbox via grommet on n/side of bulkhead, you can use the other two wires if the other's  develop a fault .

If all checks out ok there is a chance the printed circuit or dash is faulty, if you trace the track up there is a screw that you can connect to if first part of track is u/s or the sender unit is faulty. Hope this help's, you need some basic electrical test gear to trace this fault ( Multi - meter) but it can be done, sounds worse than it is to do.

Not posted for so long I had to renew membership could not remember log in stuff.

2.8 LWB Trooper ( Time expired)  1998  3.1 Monterey ( could not find Trooper in as good condition)
mutlley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

what car?
topman1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all. I replaced the clock console and the motor is running fine now.
Dartmoor Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 15:29    Post subject: 94 bighorn speedo Reply with quote

Guys, I've had the failed speedo sensor on my 94 3.1 auto bighorn before. Speedo and gbox have stopped again as before so slid under with new sensor. No go.  Checked sensor plug, power on one wire, earth on the other, no problem. Pulled out speedo drive, nice and clean, turning no problem.  In one post it mentions a fuse?  What fuse is that?  Help please.  Ta
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the printed circuit board behind the speedo in the dash
Dartmoor Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for that.
So, what am I looking for on the PCB?    Burning? broken copper line?
Mine has the rotating numbers milometer not digi disply
Does that make a difference?
placebouk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for any cracks in the copper tracks of the pcb. Its flimsy plastic and where plugs go into the cluster, the plastic is bent into the slot for the plug. Over years it can wear and crack.

Am about to check mine as having few issues and just want to ensure it not my cluster.
If u have access to a second custer that know is gd , amate with same that willing to let u borrow it for a few hrs.
Try swapping it and see if issue goes. Been talking few guys who swapped the cluster and issues vanished.

If u find a crack in the copper track carfully soldier it back together to make the connection secure.
Dartmoor Dave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have the dash swap option so will press on when I can. Thanks for info
placebouk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries ill be doin same in few weeks to try chase down my issue. Bit annoyed as when i got advised about swapping cluster i had just sent one off scrap yard, really bummed about it now. But live and learn
Dartmoor Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean't to ask the forum this; If my stick button show the dash overdrive light on/off without a problem and the speedo drive has power and a ground to it but the speedo is not working. What switches the gearbox on?
Is there a trans relay because the wiring from the speedo drive doesn't look heavy enough to power a change up and lock clutch?
Or is there something behind the dash that tells the gearbox?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: