QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

"safe" temperature zone!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dardaj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 23:10    Post subject: "safe" temperature zone! Reply with quote

Hello!

Can anybody explain me, what is the safe temperature zone of the engine?
Is it maybe as long as the gauge needle stays in the white area of the temperature gauge? Mine goes about 4/5 far from the left side to the right, when engine has to work hard - is this still the safe zone?

TX for the answers!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 23:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may help if you tell us what model and engine you have!  - There are several variations.
crusader
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Quinn wrote:
It may help if you tell us what model and engine you have!  - There are several variations.

Does it matter, if its running hotter than normal, isn't it an indication of a problem. Both my troopers have sat smack centre on the gauge.
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it certainly matters if he wants assitance as to the likely cause!
dardaj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize, the model is Isuzu Bighorn RHD 3.1 td 4JG2, born in 1998.

The temperature gauge looks like this (left bottom):

The dashboard looks different in mine, but temperature gauge is the same.

In the manuals is only written safety zone and when the needle goes in the H zone, than engine is overheated, which can also be noticed with such signs as white smoke from the bonnet, loose of power, etc.

So, my question is, if needle stays in white C zone (probably "safe zone" Smile ), will this be OK?

And,  I installed OBD II reader ELM327 with the idea, that I will be able to read temperature, consumption, etc. from my smart phone Smile I was naive Smile because I could not find application, that has suitable codes for my "old" Isuzu. The funny thing is, that same year VW passat can be read with this device Smile

Can anyone suggest me an application, either for windows mobile or android system?

TX,
regards, Martin
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looks within normal range, yes; perhaps rather on the cool side, but quite normal...  These cars seem to run with the gauge slightly-below the centre position.  

It should not vary much though and I must ask if it STAYS roughly in this position when running?  If it falls back to the cold position in normal running, this may indicate a missing (or jammed-open) thermostat.

We would worry more if it was over-heating.  

Yours is a later model than mine; but these are old-school engines, and don't have the electronics of later cars.  Perhaps someone else can comment; but I'm not sure the OBDii protocol will be implemented in this model.
dardaj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

In normal running the position of the needle on temperature gauge looks the same as on the picture. When I drive car in more "extreme" conditions, such as steep heels, the needle goes on 4/5 of so called safe zone. But it does not go to H zone (luckily). I am just probably not used to such kind of temperature gauge and its movement due to the fact that in my VW Passat 3B5 (y. 2000) the needle on temperature gauge stays still no matter the effort the car is presented to Smile. I also measured the temperature with OBD II reader and it actually does not rise over 98 degrees Celsius.

TX for the help and explanations Smile

Regards, Martin
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly... Trying to compare the Trooper with the Passat is like trying to compare Apples to Oranges; it's not really relevant what temperature the VW runs at. Although I'm unsurprised to learn the Passat holds steady.

My Isuzu (A Bighorn/Trooper) sits with it's temperature gauge just to the left (cool) side of centre... It does that whether I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day, crawling through the Scottish Highlands or travelling at 70MPH along the M8!

Hopefully some more expert than I will comment soon... But IF you're telling us your temp gauge doesn't stay steady; but is veering towards the hot side under load well maybe that's an issue that needs investigating.
KeithB1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to the left of centre is normal running temp on the gauge.
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is fairly stable as well I take it Keith?
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just take a guess at this one...  Martin's car is slightly over-cooling at normal/low load.  Getting a bitty warm when working hard...

Thermostat stuck half-open?  Restricted enough to let the engine get warmish but not open far enough to let it cope with hard work?  And of course not opening/closing as it should to regulate the temperature?

Anyone concur with this?

Can I suggest Martin you remove the thermostat and test it in boiling water outside the car?

http://youtu.be/qRwpoboKRXg  - Badly made video, but the boy's on the right track.
KeithB1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, even sitting in traffic on a hot day. I've had 3.1's for the last 8 or 9 years and they have always ran at that temp when the cooling system is in good working order.
KeithB1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a two stage thermostat so it could only be opening halfway. It would be the first thing  I would change if the temp gauge shows it running cool.
dardaj

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

@matt Quinn
Yes, the condition is exactly the same as you described it Smile
I will firstly check the thermostat.

Now I ran into another problem, which is called the CHECK TRANS light Sad
I took my bother in law to show him "a new family member" Smile
After I put the train from low range to TOD and I rode for about a 1 km, the light CHECK TRANS started to blink and automatic transmission put itself into "safe mode" (only 3rd and 4th gear available, manually from 2nd to D)
The intersting thing is, that when I start my car, the automatic transmission works well, but after a 1 km o driving the light starts to blink and transmission puts itself into safe mode.

What could possibly go wrong:)?

TX for the answers!
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully one of the other chaps with more knowledge with me will come along and help soon...

My car's earlier ('95) and has (I believe) a simpler system.  I don't know much about the transmission.

I notice in the picture your 4WD and ABS lights are on?  You haven't been driving it in 4WD on hard surfaces have you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: