2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

EU rulers imposing bio ethanol content change in fuel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 21:30    Post subject: EU rulers imposing bio ethanol content change in fuel Reply with quote

The EU rulers imposing compulsory changes in our fuel is not far from coming round the corner.
I recently read an article in an Engine Repair and Remanufacture magazine giving the heads up on whats coming to us older motor diesel and petrol burners.
Apparently substitutes content in the form of ethanol is going to be increased. This ethanol is industrial alcohol and is relatively easy to produce - guess rapeseed etc.
The nett effects will be lower performance, lower m.p.g. and higher water content in the fuel. Component damage in older vehicles is also something quoted. What the report studies quoted that vehicles manufactured from 2002 and in some cases upto 2009 should be immune from resultant ethanol content damage but older vehicles manufactured without ethanol content considertion could be suspect to resultant damage. Apparently the solvent effect of ethanol can loosen particals in the fuel which can damage fuel pumps, hose, filters and injectors by blockages. The corrosive nature of ethanol is caused by oxygen content reacts to anything turning metal into rust among other things.
The timescale is that we've already got 5% content - hence octane 95 E5. By 2015/16 they want 10% content to be compulsory (E10) but E5 will still be available. However, because of the fuel storage facilities at petrol stations, the smaller outlets will physically not have the storage space facilities so will only be able to offer the 10% content flavour. Once E10 is here, E15 and E25 will be waiting in wings just around the corner.
I'm getting a bit p1ssed off trying to read the article and translate into this post, so I'm going to give up now, and try and get an electronic copy and paste on here so you guys get it direct from the horses mouth so to speak.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 21:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MikT725

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethanol is only added to petrol not diesel !
DYLAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be bio diesel that may be going up to 10% and ethanol is used in it's production. ???

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYLAN wrote:
I think it may be bio diesel that may be going up to 10% and ethanol is used in it's production. ???

Having read back through the article I reckon your spot on Dylan
I'm trying to get the article transferred into a 'words and spaces' format so that I can copy and paste the relevant points to clarify what is coming our way in the form of diluted fuel
MikT725

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methanol and ethanol are both used in producing Bio but i don't think they are just added they are used as a catalyst to convert some *beep* into some other *beep* lol and are often recovered afterwards. From what i've read it sounds like the fuel companies have previously met the renewable fuel requirements by only adding bio to diesel and leaving petrol alone now the requirements have been increased they are having to make a percentage of petrol from renewable too  Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: