All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil Filter Blues.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Jennifer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 13:27    Post subject: Oil Filter Blues..... Reply with quote

Having realised that I was only getting 20mpg on the motorway (50-60mph) I decided that  I needed a service - My first for years.....  
Embarassed

No, not me, the car.
As I couldn't afford to pay someone to do it for me I would have to do it myself (more on that in another thread).
It was a breeze, until I tried to take the oil filter off......

I tried the new filter in "the gap" but it wouldn't go so I checked the forum and tried again and again and again........
I could get the rim through but not the body as there was a pimply thing (nipple?) in the way and I didn't think I would be able to move it. Surely it meant turning the engine over, on ramps, with no oil in the engine.......

Finally, I decided to see just how difficult it would turn by hand, so I wrapped my mittens round the spinney thing and gathering all my strength....... twisted.
Oh the shame of it. The let down feeling as I realised that a Pi$$3d gnat could have moved that thing just by breathing on it...

Ok. So it goes through. All that's left is to remove the old filter.
Simple.........

Ha!

I twisted but my hands kept slipping. I got that jam jar opening thingy from the kitchen but that kept slipping as well. I tried it the other way, just in case I was being stupid........
That slipped as well!!!
I tried a leather belt as well and in an act of desperation asked a neighbour - big butch type with big hands and large arms....... He said 10 minutes and disappeared (probably to watch eastenders or something like that (I prefer the more intellectual Dr Who).
He didn't show so my crippled (disabled??) husband spent 10 minutes getting under the car and 20 (!!) minutes grunting before giving up - in pain.

Back to the forum where I found this thread..... THANKYOU. !!!   Smile

I had called a mechanic friend while Sam was under the car - answerphone. So I "texted" him. A little later we spoke and he promised to lend me his tool (!!) in the morning. All I would need was a tension bar (?) and a ratchet (got) so with synchronicity running through my pea sized brain  I turned my attention to dinner......

"Bas" is running a little late, but even if he forgets, knowing what I need now, (THANKYOU - again) I can always get the bus (nearly said drive!!) down the road to Halfords and pick one up for £7.

Should be a breeze..................   Shocked
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 13:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Lady Jennifer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.
I waited and he's still not here so I rang round a fer places in Brighton to see id they had the tool.
No, no,..... Set for ....How Much??, Yes. Yay I decided a quick trip across town to Cliffords was in order.....

So after the epic mistake e of asking our 70 year old neighbour for a lift in his (y toy) car we left. He can't drive (!!) and the car only made things more scary.....

Fortunately I took the filter with me. Whilst they did have a range of sizes they didn't have a 90 mm cup. 88 and 92mm, No problem but not mine......
So I bought a 2 way 3 claw thingy.....
Back under the car with ratchet, extension bar and thingy. Wind it up to fit, and..... Grunt!
Grunt!
Grunt!

Ok so try the other way and..... Grunt!
Grunt!
Grunt!

WHICH BLOOMING ANTICLOCKWISE?????

I've tried them both and it still won't move.
Sob.....  Crying or Very sad
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

All together now !

Lefty loosey <  - Righty tighty >

Clock (wise) on  -   Counter Clock (wise) off .

Unless its a left hand thread of course which it wont be on an oil pilter

Top Tip here - smear of grease round the seal on the new one makes it easier to get off next time

Top Tip 2 -  always read the relevant bit of the forum for the job your going to do -http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12523
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12523
Lady Jennifer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I read many but not that one.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: