4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Which solenoid does what??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bg trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:31    Post subject: Which solenoid does what?? Reply with quote

I am back again with a car that will only bump start!. Nothing happens when I turn the ignition key,only the lights come on on the dash. I have been testing as many things as I can get to, but it was suggested that it could be the 'Starter solenoid'. The problem I have is which one is that?The fuse box uder the bonnet tells most things but not what I need.I have the 3 litre 4jx1 engine diesel, DOHC. I have searched this forum but I guess I must be missing it? If any one can point me in the right direction I will be very thankfull. Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Aragorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter solenoid is on the starter motor itself.

The solenoid has three connections, One live from the battery, one switched live to the motor (both of these are large chunky connections) then a third small thin wire which is what triggers the solenoid and engages the motor.

Use a meter or test light to check your getting 12v to the solenoid trigger when the key is turned to the cranking position. If you are, the solenoid is probably duff.

Its probably easiest to simply replace the whole starter motor if thats the case.
Aragorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, If your not getting 12v at the starter solenoid, it could be a faulty ignition switch, or there might be an immobiliser or a starter relay in between the ignition switch and starter solenoid thats gone wrong.
bg trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:51    Post subject: which solenoid is what? Reply with quote

Hi Aragorn, It is impossible to test the solenoid when it is bolted on the car, i have tried all afternoon and just cant get to the places i need to get to with my multimeter. I have even tried to get a test lamp in there but not enough room and cant see what i am doing.I have had a new solenoid fitted to the starter motor and it worked fine until now? I am led to believe that there is a solenoid under the bonnet in the fuse box or i also have 2 solenoids next to the fuse box which have something to do with starting the car with the key? It bump starts no problem and runs a treat?I have cleaned all of the earth straps today and did a couple of other tests that i got from Google. The only way i can test the solenoid on the starter is by un bolting it and lowering down so i can see the cables. I have removed the starter motor now 6 times and i have got my time down to 1 hour  Laughing Totally confused here?
bg trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:56    Post subject: which solenoid does what Reply with quote

Sorry, i have used the wrong word. Under the bonnet i have starter relays!!!, not solenoids. This is probably confusing the issue. sorry.I need to know which RELAY! is the one for the starter motor. Embarassed
Aragorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the manual, the starter relay is actually outside the main fusebox on a diesel. I'm not too familiar with it, but take a look yourself.

http://www.jeepolog.com/UserFiles/downloads/trooper_manual.pdf

Get the manual from there and look at page 2622, and you can see where it suggests the starter relay is.
bg trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 15:40    Post subject: which relay does what? Reply with quote

Hi aregorn, I have just looked at the manual and im sorry to be an idiot but how the heck do I get to page 2622? do I just scroll down until I get there? Im not sure that I can actuall find it.
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

this should help a bit more
bg trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 18:52    Post subject: relay location Reply with quote

thanks eithan, good diagram. So I guess that no 4 are the 2 relays that are sat on there own closest to the windscreen.Would it both of them?I now need to look up how to test a relay. Thankyou very much. Laughing
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will only be one and going by the diagram it's the one nearest the screen, the other 2 i think are glow relays
bg trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 19:40    Post subject: relay location Reply with quote

Thanks eithan, I shall test the relay at first light tomorrow. just need to get the old girl on the road again.It works a treat with a bump start but that is a bit tricky when I have to take the wife shoppinglol Laughing
bg trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 19:43    Post subject: relay location Reply with quote

If you fancy a holiday over here, with your tech 2 and all of your tools, we can do full board at a very low price, lol Laughing
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol very tempting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: