Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Engine not turning over - P Reg 3.1TD Bighorn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 13:22    Post subject: Engine not turning over - P Reg 3.1TD Bighorn Reply with quote

P Reg 3.1TD Bighorn

The Isuzu has been standing for a few months so I had to jump start it which was fine, I left it running for 30mins to charge the battery but when I went back to the car most of the warning lights on the dash were on. I turned the engine off and then tried to restart it but the battery hadn't charged at all.

I tried to jump start it again but the engine would only turn over and wouldn't fire. I thought I would plug in my OBD11 fault reader but all I got was a clicking noise and didn't get as far as the fault readings. I unplugged it and now when I try and start the engine all I get is this clicking noise.  I have chased the clicking noise to the 3 relays next to the fuse box in the engine bay. Does anyone think that it is just that the relays have failed or is there something else to look for?

Many thanks for reading this post and hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Cheers, Paul.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 13:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be checking the battery terminals  are tight then the battery volts ,the alternator drive belt tension and if all thats good maybe the blue charge relay is faulty so test that by swapping with the black one next to it .

I am thinking that the 3.1 bighorn is the one with the electronic pump ? That may be a bit harder to sort out .
PaulT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Gribble.

Sorry for not getting back with a update.

I purchased a new battery, engine fired straight away but now I have warning lights on the dashboard. It's strange because the timing belt light has come on and I had a new belt put on last year. After it had been fitted, I removed the binnacle and moved the screw from one hole to the other so as to turn off the warning light but now is come back on. The other light on is the battery light and the other one I have no idea.

I have attached a picture so hopefully someone will be able to help.file:///C:/Users/Paul%20T/Desktop/Isuzu%20dashboard%20lights2.jpg
KeithB1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the blue relay knackered or alt belt slack or maybe alt on the way out.
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

timing belt light and water trap light and 4wd light all being on means as keith said either the alt is knackered or the blue relay has gone
PaulT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 21:29    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I will change the blue relay first then the alternator if required.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the engine and alternator earths as well. If it has been sat for a while it may need the alternator spinning for a bit to clean the brushes etc.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

PaulT

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 17:36    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

update on my 3.1td Bighorn.
I purchased a blue charge relay from Milner offroad and the dashboard lights are still on so I'm now guessing from previous replies that its the alternator that is now the problem.
PaulT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:57    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

I'm a little confused, replaced battery and blue relay and lights on the dash are still on and heater fan not working.
Earth wires are fine so I checked to see if the alternator is charging the battery and I'm getting a reading of 12.5v from the battery with the engine off and 11.7v with the engine running, volts don't move up when running and drops when lights are on and continues to drop slowly.
It looks like the alternator has gone so what I'm confused about is now that I have fitted a new blue relay, would that have blown again if the alternator is knackered?
I have a quote from Victoria Auto Parts for £129.50 80v Alternator with vac pump connector, I don't know if that's good or bad.
PaulT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 13:40    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

80A not 80v
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be fine just change the alt
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable price as well.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

PaulT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 16:50    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

Well the update is that my Bighorn has been into my local garage and a new alternator fitted.
The problem of the battery not charging has not been resolved. The garage say that they have checked everything that they can and now they have no idea.
They recommend that I get a auto electrician out to look at it.
Does anyone have any ideas? its had a new battery, alternator and blue charge relay.
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. So looking at it logically you have changed the 3 main bits that are needed for charging .
Ok first thing to check is that you have a 3.1 charge relay not a 3.0 as they are different so post up the number off it and it can be checked.

Next.the only other component is the ignition barrel switch which should supply 12v down 2 of the wires in the small 3 pin plug to the alt at ign on.ones the feed to the blue relay and one excites the alt to start it charging. The other wire is live all the time as its the S or sense wire (white colour)

Can you check that next ?

Next if you pull out the blue relay with the ign on the battery light should go out as its earths gone.

Now don't rule out a duff new alt it can happen lol.
PaulT

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 22:15    Post subject: Starting issues Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Gribble.
I have a update on the update.
I picked the car up from the garage and was surprise to see that all the dashboard light have gone out and now the blowers work and the a/c
I haven't checked myself what the alternator is putting back into the battery but the garage said it was only just over 12v.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: