All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Air in fuel system?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giles 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 15:39    Post subject: Air in fuel system? Reply with quote

As above.Went on a 80 mile towing run this am with cattle box and 3.0l trooper.Had to take a detour because of an accident so couldn't get fuel until gauge showed 1/4 full which it tends not to like.Brimmed it when I got home,tank is only a few months old,recent fuel filter.After a couple of hours took trooper out for a short run and after a couple of miles started to die,and pressing accelerator did very little.Would idle if throttle not touched,then if revved up to say 2500 would sit there for a few seconds,could hear a hiss under the bonnet like air being drawn,couldn't isolate it,and revs would die back and cut out unless let throttle off to idle again.Am going to try bleeding it at lift pump,but wasn't too keen on the hissing bit.Anything else I could be missing?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 15:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Giles 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lift pump lashing fuel out of the 10mm bleed screw,but still won't run properly.Previously described symptoms persist.Used to have a Disco.Was a pain,always niggling things,but was confident it would keep plugging along and get you home.This Trooper is magic when running right,but it sure doesn't inspire get you home confidence!
Isuzu_Man03
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds abit like the orps is on its way out with some of those symptoms
Gribble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the pipe off the ERG valve and see if the hiss goes away .
Giles 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
Pull the pipe off the ERG valve and see if the hiss goes away .
That's been off and plugged for some time.going to have another go at bleeding the system tomorrow.I know on tractors ,older ones anyway,you can slacken the feeds to the injectors and crank over the engine to expel air.Might be tricky or not necessary with a trooper?I sincerely hope its not the dreaded orps problem.Done similar before when fuel got low,but not to this extent.
Isuzu_Man03
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you can't bleed 3.0ltrs like ord tractors, they can be a *beep* if they get air in the system.
Giles 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took filter off,put it back full,it's clean.Will sit at tickover fairly happily,will take a few revs for a bit,then dies back.Going to leave it ticking over whilst I get lunch.If air not out of system then,I'll just set fire to the b*****d.Noticed on a fuel tank thread,someone has replaced a tank and had same issues as me.He found the pick up tube end was 2" off the tank bottom.Bet mines the same.
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.0 is a P/T  -  Pressure /time type system  which pumps fuel round the head and back to the tank at a fair flow and will self bleed quite happily unless airs getting in before the mechanical lift pump .

Easy test - get one of those clear inline filters and stick it in the fuel line  before the hand primer and look for air in it when its running .

If you dont see any get a latex inspection glove and tie wrap it over the hand primer so the buttons air tight and see if that sorts it .

Then  come back on and let us know .
Giles 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gribble.Thought I'd about got there this pm.Managed to drive about the farm tracks with a lot of coughing and spluttering,and thought the air was out the system.However this evening the b****r  let me down.Will try your idea in the morning.
Giles 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long story,but could not get thing going again.Fine to lift pump,it was sorted,then gave up and put in local garage.They put an electric pump in by passing tank and lift pump and managed to get engine running and reving until reservoir ran out.Their thoughts are the fuel pump is possibly knackered either because it ran dry or it knackered itself hence wont pump. .Any way of testing it or getting it revamped if it is crock?Dont want to buy a new one at x thousand pounds on the off chance.Seen a second hand one for £150 ish,or am I and garage barking up wrong tree?
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you carry out the suggestions from Gribble ?
Giles 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,and fuel to and out out of lift pump is air free.
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

your both barking up the wrong tree i think, i've never known the lift pump go wrong on a 3.0l.  so it will idle ok but if you try to lift the revs up it then dies?  if you wait for a few mins will it fire up again?
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the strainer has fell off in the sump and it's running out of oil to fire the injectors hence it dies then if you leave it and let the oil run back to the sump for a bit it will fire up again. it will do this until the oil gets some heat in it and goes thin and it can run back to the sump quicker so eventually it might run ok for a bit. try overfilling the oil level with 2 litres past the max mark on the dipstick and see if it makes any difference
Giles 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, gave up on DIYand sent to garage.They tried everything,wires,oil levels etc and spoke to loads of folk.Now all the experts they spoke to think the problem is the fuel pump on the side of the engine.It will idle,but try and increase revs and it cuts out.Is it worth trying another pump at about £400 fitted from a runner with 3 months guarantee ,or could it be £400 down the spout?This would be  my final throw of the dice if I go for it.Shame as the rest of the vehicle is in good nick,new fuel tank,recent shocks,tyres,bloody thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: