All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Speedo stopped working and check trans flashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunkanon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 22:55    Post subject: Speedo stopped working and check trans flashing Reply with quote

HI all, not sure if  Im posting in the right section, Im new to the forum and also a new Isuzu owner Im hoping someone may be able to shed some light on my problem.   I recently got a 1994 3.1 intercooler Bighorn diesel auto. And whist driving home today the speedo stopped working and the check trans light started flashing.  (from what Ive read on the net Im guessing its not got a speedo convertor but just had the faceplate changed as the odo counts in kms..)  I pulled over and left it for 10 mins. when I started up again it was ok, speedo worked and trans light was out. But once I got off the winding lanes and onto open road where I speeded up a bit the speedo packed up and the trans light flashing away again...I also noticed that initially starting off it kicks down and changes gear but after that it doesn't seem to kick down anymore instead the revs just keep climbing......so I trundled the last 20 miles home keeping the revs low....anyways panicking a bit now as my first thoughts are gearbox?...but not being mechanical I hope Im over reacting and its something simpler and cheaper...any help is greatly appreciated and apologies my first post is asking for help and not just saying hello.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 22:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mutlley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the gearbox oil is not smelly and dirty. but your problem is more than likely your speed sensor. there is also a kph to mph box located behind the clocks (size of a matchbox) this has been added when your bighorn was imported. easy enough to remove and put wires back to where they belong. your speedo will now read in kph so t looks like your doing 110mph when your really doing 60.  Laughing  easy fix, get a fresh clock face of auction site.
the speed sensor is located underneath the car. if you lie down on the drivers side and slide underneath, look for the prop shaft where it exits the gearbox. at the side (driver side)  of the gearbox you will see a plastic sensor the size of your thumb, with about 3 wires on it. this is the speed sensor. it un screws of its housing and is well known for failing.

my advice is to start with taking the clocks out. look behind for the kph to mph converter. not a big job, just a few screws and should take you about an hour to do.

good luck!  Shocked
mutlley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is plenty on the forum about the sensor and if you ask nicely im sure someone will have one spare some where.
dunkanon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much mutley I will give it a go today.
dunkanon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mutlley"]check the gearbox oil is not smelly and dirty. but your problem is more than likely your speed sensor. there is also a kph to mph box located behind the clocks (size of a matchbox) this has been added when your bighorn was imported. easy enough to remove and put wires back to where they belong. your speedo will now read in kph so t looks like your doing 110mph when your really doing 60.  Laughing  easy fix, get a fresh clock face of auction site.
the speed sensor is located underneath the car. if you lie down on the drivers side and slide underneath, look for the prop shaft where it exits the gearbox. at the side (driver side)  of the gearbox you will see a plastic sensor the size of your thumb, with about 3 wires on it. this is the speed sensor. it un screws of its housing and is well known for failing.

my advice is to start with taking the clocks out. look behind for the kph to mph converter. not a big job, just a few screws and should take you about an hour to do.

good luck!  Shocked[/quote]

Hi, I removed the screws, face plates etc...but upon getting into the clocks, i am unsure how to proceed as to how to get behind them..the plastic the clocks are fixed to have a screw either side but removing them seem to make no difference? Im guessing Ive missed something but not sure what.
mutlley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading your last post. have you removed the clocks as a whole unit then started to get into the clock/clocks unit?  Shocked

when i refer to clock's, I mean the actual unit which house's the clocks and not the clocks, speedo/rev counter individually.

the kph to mph converter is an after market fix they fit when the bighorns are imported. this is wired into the clock loom and is is just sat behind the clocks and is loose. mine was a black box the size of a swan vesta box of matches and had a number of wires out of it which was wired into my clocks loom. all i did was to un wire it and bin it. but this was after I had replaced the speed sensor at a cost of £180 only to find out it was this silly little box behind the clocks!  Crying or Very sad

not all bighorns are fitted with them.

hope that helps.  Confused
dunkanon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its fine mate, what I meant was I had removed all the surrounds which exposes the clocks but thought I had to get right behind the clocks themselves as they are mounted on a plastic frame.....I don't think mine has the convertor fitted, I cant see one anyway. my speedo faceplate shows mph even though my odometer clocks up the mileage in kms. Im told it will of just had a faceplate change....Ive managed to get a speed sensor new for 35 quid, but I have also been informed it could be the speedo sender unit. which the sensor goes into I think.  seen a used one on fleabay with a starting bid of £65!!...just have to see, going to try the sensor first now and go from there.
mutlley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

happy days!  Very Happy
dunkanon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted...bought a used speedo sender/sensor off eebuygum £70 delivered.  And everything is working as it should, speedo, autobox changing as it should, overdrive working and check trans light stopped flashing..   Laughing    very happy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: