All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tunit tuning box for 3.0 ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 15:33    Post subject: Tunit tuning box for 3.0 ? Reply with quote

Has anyone fitted one of these:
http://www.tunit.co.uk/vehicles/view/model/1086#your-tunit-header
the options shown are £375 or £425  plus vat, with 1 or 2 year engine warranty for the 2 units  Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 15:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was tackled years ago by "Chris Beasley" have a search on here....IIRC the results wern't too special   Sad
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ted, I'll have a mooch Wink
I fitted a Turbotune (same thing) to my Renault Master 2.5 van: it did what it said!
It had a 3 position toggle switch, standard plus a bit, economy then max bhp and torque, made a massive difference, I could floor it in 3rd and the torque was amazing  Very Happy
All the other firms don't list the 4JX1, but the salesman at Tunit (obviously) said that their unit works.
I'm waiting for confirmation from 'head office' as to their claims, but must admit I'm very tempted, they also offer a dyno 'before & after' test (at my cost!)
IF I go for it I'll glady report back with my findings  Wink
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a few posts from Chris B and they all were impressed with it!
I'm waiting for confirmation that the unit listed will work on my engine, then I'll be ordering one!  Very Happy
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a few more now Ted!
Chris Beezley...had a few problems, seems like the power output was great but 'he' had problems with mid-range misfiring.
These posts were back in 2007, so I'm hoping that any glitches have been rectified: Once again I'll see what the tech guy says and take it from there  Wink
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how relevant it is, but, a lot of the Navara guy's swear by the DTE box, as opposed to a lot of the alternatives. The reason being that most of the other options only increase the fuelling at the rail, and eventually the ECU realises this and compensates - sometimes going in to limp home mode. Whereas the DTE box connects to the injectors and reprograms from there. Haven't tried either option, so can't give an opinion, just postin for information sake. Can't find Trooper 4JX1 on DTE site, but they do list D-Max 3.0 163ps, but (I think  Confused ) that'll be a different engine.
TrooperJack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting subject, I will look forward to your findings!
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ordering one today, will be fitted and tested at the weekend: We'll see if it feels like 198 Bhp and 278 lb torque!  Very Happy
(Standard is 160 & 247...)
TrooperJack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be like Christmas all over again! Laughing
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had issues when  had a tunit box on my 3.0, poor running issues, misfires etc. This was about 3 years ish ago tho
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point there is that they've been selling them for a while  Wink
If there were problems its hoped they have been rectified though! I asked the sales geezer if he could double check, as I'd heard about problems.
He rang me back yesterday, said the company director has sold lots of the 3.0 units in Australia and said they work very well, so I decided to give it a try.
Tunit have a rolling road not too far from me, I wonder if they'd do a comparison test, before & after type of thing?  Laughing
My Trooper has got a Powerflow exhaust, with the Cat/filter removed, and the egr and warm up junk all removed, would be very interesting to see some dyno numbers...
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah should be all ironed out nowadays. It's why said about 3 years ago. Hope you get good results, no doubting they make a difference, with all the other stuff you've done it'll produce good power
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Gary, I'm glad you mentioned the problems you had, the tunit man told me that they have improved the units since the first ones  Very Happy
He also said the wiring is now easier to install. Have you still got yours? I bet you could get it updated.
I've ordered it this morning, so I'll have an update once I've tried it  Very Happy
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now ordered: went for the best one, the 'Tunit Advantage II with Red Board Technology'.
This can be returned and reprogrammed should I sell the Trooper, so if I ever buy a V8 4.5 Amazon I can stick it on that!  Shocked
The Tunit rolling road is in Chorley which isn't too far from me, so I'll get some before & after figures next...
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting .. Chorley is 15 mins away from me.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: