4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tunit tuning box for 3.0 ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to come along when I take it?
I'll message you and arrange, probably in about a week  Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 19:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold it on a while back, be good to see a before and after and not just the figures they provide.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to see the difference. Not that I have a use as both mine don't have an ECU (2.8 and 3.1). Its more curiosity than anything else. Also a good opportunity to meet another member Smile

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, be great to meet up  Very Happy
I'll get in touch as stated: wonder what the output figures will be? Cetainly be good to see just what the standard motor (with the little mods carried out) is making, then of course the tunit figures...
If its not making the quoted gains can I get a refund?  Shocked
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tunit arrived today, here's what you get:

I'm wondering why the diagram says 2 wires go to one from the ECU?
Think I'll check with Tunit before I do anything, why have 2 wires if they go to the same supply wire?  Shocked

So not off to a perfect start! maybe I'm just being picky, but after spending £520 I don't expect basic errors in the instructions  Evil or Very Mad
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a good bit of kit I think its saying the ground or earth pin  can vary on Trooper models but your right to ask them .
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown wire is the ground, the blue is the input signal to the ORPS, so how can the White (output to the ECU) be joined together, as that would override the signal?
Must be a print error...otherwise the unit won't work as claimed.
Tunit say their unit works properly across the rev range and doesn't just dump fuel into the engine like the cheap *beep* do  Shocked
C.B.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it may be that you pull the blue wire in the existing connector at J2 pin 7 and connect to one of the signal wires from the new unit (blue?). Then the other signal wire from the new unit (white?) goes to the position in J2 pin 7, thus adding the unit in series to the existing signal path. Or to put in another way you are interrupting the connection between the ECU and the sensor and adding this unit between them, blue to the rail sensor and white to the ECU.   J2 pin 7 is the Rail oil pressure sensor signal, so I think it might be modifying the signal between the sensor and the ECU, I’m only guessing though as I don’t know a lot about CRD engines.

The other two connections seem OK to the schematics of the ECU wiring, J2 pin 10 is +12v ignition and J3 pin 4 is 0v chassis / ground.

But yes, I would check with them first as the instructions are not clear (and more confusing as the original wire at J2 pin 7 is also white). Confused
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.B. wrote:
I suspect it may be that you pull the blue wire in the existing connector at J2 pin 7 and connect to one of the signal wires from the new unit (blue?). Then the other signal wire from the new unit (white?) goes to the position in J2 pin 7, thus adding the unit in series to the existing signal path. Or to put in another way you are interrupting the connection between the ECU and the sensor and adding this unit between them, blue to the rail sensor and white to the ECU.   J2 pin 7 is the Rail oil pressure sensor signal, so I think it might be modifying the signal between the sensor and the ECU, I’m only guessing though as I don’t know a lot about CRD engines.

The other two connections seem OK to the schematics of the ECU wiring, J2 pin 10 is +12v ignition and J3 pin 4 is 0v chassis / ground.

But yes, I would check with them first as the instructions are not clear (and more confusing as the original wire at J2 pin 7 is also white). Confused

Makes sense CB... Very Happy
Tunit box white to J2/7 and the blue to the original white (O/P from ORPS)
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self: read the bloody instructions........ Shocked

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMSL........Fairplay for posting  Smile
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say well done to the chaps who sussed this out before seeing the destructions  Wink
I'll get it fitted now, well when it stops raining, its cold out!
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Will be good to meet up. I can only do weekends unfortunately. You going to give her a full service before the RR?

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its had a service a few months ago: might change the oil and main filter first though  Very Happy
Its now 9000 miles since I replaced the cylinder head, sleeve seals, cam belt, ORPS, etc...doesn't time fly  Shocked
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I've brved the cold and fitted the tunit unit!  Very Happy
Struggled a bit as the wind kept cooling my gas soldering iron...Got things connected eventually....was rather chilly tbh Crying or Very sad
Started off with the unit set midway, as it came in the box. Felt a little more responsive, and the idle was perfect yet sounding 'different'.
Went for a spin and instantly can feel an improvement in pickup at low revs.
Went home and turned the unit up to number 9...maximum  Twisted Evil
Now there is a big difference: revs like a good un, spins up through the revs very quickly, and back to nice steady idle. Out onto the road...and can tell straight away that there's more power! Instant throttle response, I found I was going 10 to 15 mph quicker on local roads than before fitting, without trying.
Its very early days yet, but sofar I'm very impressed. I need to get some miles done now and see how the mpg has changed: I've had a couple of chipped/remapped vehicles before, and found that I drove faster than before so didn't see any improvements: I will try not to do the same this time!

Fitting was dead easy, apart from the ice cold air killing my iron: if sat inside a warm building it would have been a 20 minute job.
You need to pull apart the main plug J2 as it has 2 white wires, so you need to split the connector to see which is J7.You cut this completely, then connect the units Blue wire to the engine end, and the units White wire to the end going into the ECU
Also, check which wire goes to J10, Green/White. There's just the one, but there is a White/Green wire as well  Wink
The units Red wire is joined onto this.
The units Brown wire goes to connector J3 Black. or any earth/direct to the chassis. I joined it to J3
And thats it! Just need to finish waterproofing everything, and mounting the unit in its permanent position: I'm going to make a waterproof box for it, next to the airbox.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: