All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Adding an outside Temperature Meter into the dashboard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C.B.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:41    Post subject: Adding an outside Temperature Meter into the dashboard. Reply with quote

Finally got around to added a new outside temperature meter so I could see exactly how cold it was.  After searching on eebuygum/Amazon etc. for ages I found mostly 0.56” displays with only 1 metre long probe cables, but eventually found a lead to a company basing in Hong Kong called Won Meter.  Here, I found the perfect module – a miniature 0.36” display meter with a green display complete with a good quality 3 metre long probe cable. It cost about £6 (+ postage which was about the same as the meter cost!), shipped from Singapore and with me in only 8 days or so.

http://www.wonmeter.com/dc12v24v-036-redblueyellowgreen-led-thermometer-55-125-celsius-degrees-temperature-monitor-for-carrefrigeratorwatei-and-diy-ect-p-448.html

The reason I wanted the smaller meter was so I could use an unused space in my dash just to the right of the Alarm LED. Guess it was designed to put your glasses in or something but I need them on to drive!  To fit into the space I cut up an old piece of clear Lexan sheet (provide visibility of the alarm LED) I had lying around. Sized so it would sit in the recess for that section of the dash and then an internal rectangle cut-out so the meter would sit into the centre of the recess.

Once that was done I drilled a hole at the back of the recess, connected the 2 supply wires to the radio circuit feed, then threaded the probe cable through the bulkhead grommet to the engine bay and on to the front grille.   At the o/s of the grill (in the recessed bit) I drilled a suitable hole to take a rubber grommet that would make a tight fit for the probe tip to slide into.

Tidied up the cables, added spots of clear glue round the edge of the Perspex to bond to the dash and job done.
Now I can see the outside temperature accurately as the meter updates to changes.  Smile

Didn’t take long to do (couple of hours?), most of the time was searching for the best meter for the job.
Hopefully this will help anyone else wanting to do something similar.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good one ! , haven't seen a stereo that takes tapes in a while
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidy job  Cool

Blimey its clean inside  Shocked  You should see mine  Embarassed
ggiinnggeerr10

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know of A link for an outside trmpriture guage as this one wont let me buy one?
C.B.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Don't know why you can't buy as the link above is still active for the meter I bought, although the price is a fair bit higher now...
(In US dollars $9.87 + $6.25 shipping so in UK sterling about £10.25). I just went on, put one in the basket and went to pay on Paypal (cancelled at last stage) and it worked fine.
Did you register as a customer first? If you register they will supply direct.

You can buy the same meter via Amazon UK for £12.20 but if the model you choose is not held in the Amazon warehouse it will come from China or Singapore:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HQWDBLA/ref=twister_B00R287IKS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Be careful on the page as the two sets of selections cover Blue/Green/Red/Yellow displays and 1 metre or 3 metre probe, for Isuzu's you need the longer probe.

Hope that helps.
ggiinnggeerr10

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you just ordered one and where did you get the internal one you plug into the internal cigarette charger?
C.B.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the photo that's a voltmeter with a USB charge outlet on the top which I also got from won meter - model 100219.

There a multitude of different types and models on e.b.a.y. and amazon, all different configurations like:-
voltmeter, voltmeter + USB, internal temperature, internal temperature + USB and dual display internal temperature + voltage.
You can see some here on 1 page:-
http://www.wonmeter.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=0&keyword=cigarette
ggiinnggeerr10

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you i will let you know how my attempt goes when i try to fit it and do you have any more things i cold do to the dash/interior to make it a bit nicer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: