QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Mk.II (1992-1994) Variable Intermittent Wiper Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 20:18    Post subject: Mk.II (1992-1994) Variable Intermittent Wiper Mod Reply with quote

First off this modification will only work on Mk.II 1992-1994 models with the old square dash.

You need to get hold of these items. The dash switch (Part Number 8970776050 I THINK) with the additional turn switch at the front, and the variable intermittent wiper relay (Part Number 8943776310)

The switch not only has that second turn switch at the front, if you look at the back you can see the back of a circuit board along with 10 pins:

The one you are replacing hasn't got this circuit board, and also two of the pins are plastic:

The relay has a yellow label and if you look at the pins you can see it has 7 of them:

The one you are replacing has a white label and only has 6 pins so bear this in mind when sourcing:

Right with the correct parts on hand here is how to install them.

Firstly you need to pull the dash surround away from the main dash itself. There are 4 screws holding it in place. One under the the hazard switch, one under the headlight switch, and two under the clock/coin pocket. Now you just need to pull that plastic cover away. It is held in place with some clips. You may have to remove the stereo as well depending on how much cabling you have. I had to as the aerial lead was too short, and also it made things easier/lighter. You don't have to pull the dash surround completely off. Just enough to get behind it, so you can leave all the other switches and lights connected.

Next you need to take off the wiper turn knob. It just pulls off:

Then you need to remove the position marker. That is held on with two tabs that you need to squeeze together behind the dash. The first picture shows the top one. It is in the middle at the bottom. The other is on the opposite side:

Next unplug the switch. You should notice that it has all ten pins filled on the plug:

Next is to remove the switch itself. It is held on with two screws and two tabs. Look at the front and you can see the screws. take these off. The tabs are next to the screws. Push them in and the switch should pop out the back:

Now you just need to fit the new switch in its place. Take the knobs off the new switch (again they just pull off). Push in the new switch from the back making sure the plug socket is at the top. Put in the screws. Plug it in. Put the dash back into place and fix with the screws. Push in the position indicator with the markings at the top. Push on the main wiper switch knob. Push on the variable speed adjuster/wash button:

That is the hard bit done. Next is very simple. Pop the bonnet. Locate the fuse/relay box next to the main battery. Take the cover off and look for the biggest relay in there. This is the main wiper relay. Just pull it out:

If you now look at the fuse box the relay was sat in you should see that it has 7 terminals:

All you need to do now is push in the replacement nice and firmly:

Fuse box cover on. Close bonnet and you should be done.

Things to do before starting. Make sure the fuse box socket has the necessary 7 terminals. Make sure the plug for the switch has all 10 wired terminals. I have been assured that all trucks have them, but its better you check before starting.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 20:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent Tech and picture post by Mr R .
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
Another excellent Tech and picture post by Mr R .

Seconded.... Smile
Grandad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Cool
josh2109

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not normal for early MKII's to have this?? I've got a '93 and a '94 and they both have variable intermittent wipe iirc... They're Bighorns though, JDM only feature maybe?

Informative post anyway Smile
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a 1994 Bighorn LS ... only had the single speed Wink

Looking online as well there are many many single speed wiper controls on there so I assume that it is random.

Deceased

josh2109

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random!

Definitely a useful mod! I use the variable wipe all the time, it's very handy if you live somewhere miserable and misty on the coast like I do Laughing
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorway spray is the killer. Always at a level either too little or too much for the single speed. Reaching out for the control every 5-10 seconds gets tiring after a while.

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the compliments BTW folks. I try to make these things idiot proof Wink

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: