Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Poor cold starting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trooper J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 22:31    Post subject: Poor cold starting Reply with quote

Hi

Just purchased a 3.0 Trooper to add to the other 5 ( always did like a challenge ) Tidy vehicle with 60k on clock but takes ages of winding over when cold to get going. As soon as its warm no problem

Replaced heater plugs that looked newish with new ones but no different.

Checked to see if one way valve was fitted Yes. I noticed in earlier threads that this should be in the return line but no matter how much I try I cannot get my head round why it should be in the return line and not in the main fuel supply line if its for stopping fuel from draining back to tank ?

Been in touch with local dealer and all recall work has been caried out.

Curious to know if anyone can give me checklist to go through as trial and error replacing parts is mind bogglingly expensive.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 22:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a fuel issue then the one way v/v stops the fuel syphoning back to tank and should be a pressure activated OWV. If its a standard simple one it wont do the job.The other potential is air getting into the fuel from a leak in the filter primer, needs a latex glove or similar over the top of the primer plunger to seal it temporarily. Have a search on here plenty of info  Wink
Trooper J

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:46    Post subject: COld start Reply with quote

Thanks for info will do some more digging re plunger and latex glove. OWV on this one is between fuel pump and tank which would mean that if its a leaking plunger then it won't work anyhow. One other point is that when its cranking over when cold there is lots of smoke as if its getting fuel. When warmed up it starts immediately. Thanks Jon
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check to see if the glow plugs are coming on as the dash light for them is not proof they are .

Find the thick grey wire going from the two relays in box by the brake servo and measure there should be a pre starting glow time  and an afterglow .

On the fuel side  try pumping the hand primer before a cold start a few times to get sone pressure up and if you get a good start then its going to be what Robbos suggested.
Trooper J

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 13:00    Post subject: Interesting morning Reply with quote

Hi Gribble and thank you for your help. I put a set of new glow plugs in and tested them all before screwing them in.

This morning I thjought I would try something different and went through the process of switching the ignition on 3 times and letting the glow plug light go out. The vehicle did not start immediately but did start a lot quicker than yesterday when I just switched the ignition on once.

Before I did this I pumped the primer for ages to see if it got fuel to the pump. I also changed the oil yesterday to 5w30 fully sythetic in case the last owner had put something different in

As soon as it started I stopped the engine within a matter of seconds and then tried to start it again and it immediatley burst into life.

This afternoon I am going to put it up on the ramp and have a good look round for any damp patches in case air is getting in ( and fuel leaking out )  and move the one way valve between the primer and the pump instead of where it currently is which is between the primer and the fuel tank hopefully eliminating any air leaks into the system via the primer.

All you guys that give your time & advice on here are very kind and it is all very much appreciated.
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the glow plug system on these, after the light goes out the plugs stay powered up for about 3 minutes.
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be on the oil side of the injectors, i had one that took a while to start and the oil supply out of the hpop was slow new pump and it was ok after that. would be good to get it on a tech2 when cranking to see if the oil pressure is rising fast enough
Trooper J

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbo I never thought to test how long the glow plugs power up for but will check that out today if I get chance and see if they are in fact stopping on after its fired up.

Eithan Very interesting comment on the hpop. Before I send it to our local guy to go on the Tech2 I will maybe pull a hpop off one of the others I have here that I know are good and try that. I presume a new oil pump will be a bank loan job ?

Took the owv out yesterday and found it full of what looked like grass so will be interesting to see if that was allowing fuel back to the tank.

Frustrating though as whatever we try has to be tested the following day when its cold as once its fired up in a morning then it will start first time all day.

Will keep you posted and once again thanks for your help everyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: