All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

1990 TDI 2.8 UBS55

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbw13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 21:39    Post subject: 1990 TDI 2.8 UBS55 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thought I'd post my experiences with the 2.8L engine. For anybody interested Smile

Yesterday was a test for the diesel engine. Had a trailer load of school desks and chairs, plus the back with the rear seats folded up was jam packed with yet more chairs. Had to drive a fair distance and try and keep up with a brand new Ford Mondeo through some windy roads and rolling hills. The 2.8 pulled beautifully with a full load! Gave the Ford a run for it's money at times Very Happy No smoke, no power lack, and stuck to the road even on some pretty damaged sections of road.

Fuel economy is A++. What a Land Rover Discovery V8 would cost me in a week for fuel, the 2.8 will cost me in 4 weeks +.

Any things I need to watch out for on this engine? Look forward to hearing more stories etc.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 21:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jjcymru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

maintain a 3/4 high oil level on the dipstick, never exceed max as you risk a runaway engine.

These engines are bombproof, just keep her maintained with regular oils and all filters and it'll remain loyal.

Depending on mileage id get the injectors tested at 100k to maintain efficiency and economy. A failing injector will burn you a nice hole in a piston within no time!
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines done 100K now, last year it did four 1800 mile round trips to my house in France loaded up to the roof, with ladders etc on top and the last trip towing a 6x4 Ifor Williams trailer, all at motorway speeds without missing a beat. Only things that have gone wrong are bits I've broken like the exhaust in when I got stuck when trying to drag the trailer with a ton of oak firewood through deep mud. Just change oil and filter at 3K miles and a full service every 12, milners do oil filters at something like £2.50 each and full filter kit for like £12, all good japanese brands. I give mine a dose of injector cleaner every now and then too.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
siweb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:03    Post subject: Re: 1990 TDI 2.8 UBS55 Reply with quote

mbw13 wrote:
Hi all,

Thought I'd post my experiences with the 2.8L engine. For anybody interested Smile

Yesterday was a test for the diesel engine. Had a trailer load of school desks and chairs, plus the back with the rear seats folded up was jam packed with yet more chairs. Had to drive a fair distance and try and keep up with a brand new Ford Mondeo through some windy roads and rolling hills. The 2.8 pulled beautifully with a full load! Gave the Ford a run for it's money at times Very Happy No smoke, no power lack, and stuck to the road even on some pretty damaged sections of road.

Fuel economy is A++. What a Land Rover Discovery V8 would cost me in a week for fuel, the 2.8 will cost me in 4 weeks +.

Any things I need to watch out for on this engine? Look forward to hearing more stories etc.
Sound just like mine matey Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice guys Smile

Very much appreciated. I'll write down those suggested service desitances and try and stick by them.

Cheers,

Mike.
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

With pretty much all diesel engines the key to longevity is regular oil and filter replacement. Do it at every 3K miles and it'll just keep soldiering on. Bit expensive in terms of oil these days but I just use a reasonable own brand (Halfords for the brits) brand semi-synth on the premise that it ain't in their long. I may well buy a 25 litre drum this coming service from a local commercial oil supplier to bring the cost down even more.

turboDIESELtrooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These engines are bombproof, just keep her maintained with regular oils and all filters and it'll remain loyal.

Boy, how I urn to eventually buy a used 2.8 turbo diesel engine. I know how reliable Isuzu diesels are and can only expect great things from the 4JB1-T engine. I really wish they would have continued the diesel engine option in 1988 for the U.S. model Troopers. After I get my steady job that I plan to have for the rest of my life I plan to save up to buy a good, used engine with gearbox to drop into an 88-91 Trooper model that factory had the 4ZE1 2.6 gas engine. I'd like to buy my unit from you guys in the U.K. but I want to try to get a deal on shipping it (where the majority of the cost would be I assume). Otherwise, I'm glad I'm a member here at ITOCUK for the experience and knowledge alone.

Salvy
mbw13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Boy, how I urn to eventually buy a used 2.8 turbo diesel engine.

I thought I read somewhere there was a company making replica 2.6 petrol Trooper engines over in the US?

There's plenty of 2.8 engines here, plus stacks of parts as quite a few of the Jap import Bighorn models have rusted badly in the chassis. When I fist laid hands on the my new but old machine, the first thing I noticed was a difference in the metal grade on the body work. Not sure about UK and US but the NZ built version of the Trooper seems to have thicker body work. Where do the US and UK ones come from while on the subject?
turboDIESELtrooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought I read somewhere there was a company making replica 2.6 petrol Trooper engines over in the US?

If there does happen to be a company I don't know about them. But the 2.6 engine can be had very easily over here in the US, as they were a popular engine choice for our 88-91 Troopers. I have no desire to own a Trooper with this powerplant and I'm only interested in the 2.8 turbo diesel. I noticed the UK also got the 2.6 gas engine in their 88-91 Troopers, but most you see are actually the 2.8 diesel engine. Just more common in the UK being diesel, while in the US gas powerplants are more common. An unfortunate thing for me being such a diesel gearhead. However, we did get the diesel engine in 1986 and 1987. The engine was the C223-T, which suffered from a connecting rod breaking problem because of the engine being revved higher than usual. The non turbo C223 on the other hand has no flaws and you'll usually see them with 300,000+ miles on them with no rebuild history. In my opinion the 4JB1-T is like the C223 in the case of durability and reliability, but with more advancement in diesel technology and beloved turbocharged power. After I've saved up enough I hope to get a good deal on a 2.8 with 5-speed trans shipped over from the UK. I know I won't be unhappy with it and will appreciate it so much in whatever Trooper I drop it in.
mbw13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday smoke was seen coming out from under the bonnet. Had a bad smell, kind of rubbery.

There's some oil leak somewhere so a mechanic friend reckons. Each day I'm loosing all of the water in the resevoir, and then some from the radiator. Stuffed if I know where it's going, can't see any drips or puddles on the ground under it so, I'd hate to think.

Will be taking it back to the yard and getting them to sought it out as I believe this is, A: Not in the Isuzu nature, B: is pretty rat-*beep* for a "reconditioned" engine which has supposidly done only 20,000 kilometers.

Apart from these little details, the engine itself appears and feels to be running A+. Keep hearind the sayings "bomb proof" and "will never *beep* itself" being used to refer to the 2.8 so fingers crossed. Smile
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the oil elvel going up, got any mayonaise in the oil filler cap? Sounds like you may have a head gasket/head problem. Is the exhaust smoking (steam) more?

mbw13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice Phil,

Had a look at the oil cap which appear it's normal glossy black self. The oil level seems perfect for now. Time will tell, and the workshop Smile

It's been sitting in storage for just over 18 months so I'm hardly suprised that there are a few problems.

Came across this yesterday: http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/54/19174454_full.jpg
dani4JB1T

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice Pic.

mbw13: I read your profile...and I also like UAZ.....a month ago I saw a "tunned" UAZ/GAZ 69 parked on the street. I can`t stopped to catch some pics becasue I was driving. Didn`t like me the tunned mod done to this classic 4x4, but was rare see one of them still alive here.

Sorry for this off topic. Cheers
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like eastern block military stuff have a look here www.tanksforsale.co.uk usually got some for sale.

mbw13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I might make a trip to the UK one day. Buy a 469, oh, and see family too Very Happy A shame they're not it RHD otherwise it would be too perfect.

The wagon will be going into the workshop at 11 this morning and getting a good look over. Will post more info as soon as I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: