4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Alternative Fuel Filter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:01    Post subject: Alternative Fuel Filter? Reply with quote

3.1 Bighorn 1995...

I'm beginning to suspect I have a duff fuel filter housing...  

Can anyone see any reason NOT to replace the existing filter/housing/primer with a generic glass bodied filter and rubber-bulb type primer; possibly with a 'belt and braces' secondary filter upstream?  

The advantage being price, the ability to see the fuel flowing, ease of replacement on the road etc...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this available with glass bottom bowl http://www.eebuygum.com/itm/Fuel-Filter-assy-CAV-Hand-Pump-296-Transit-Mondeo-/371203183921
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grandad... I'd just spotted something very similar via Delphi themselves.  Looks like a good option.

When it stops 'persisting down' I'll pop outside and fit the inline one I just got from halfords, see if that gets me moving long enough to ponder my next move.  Not sure about the lack of primer though...  Confused
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the one with the glass bowl cav 296 filter buy them anywhere fitted to most farm machinery and plant
http://www.eebuygum.co.uk/itm/DIESEL-FUEL-WATER-TRAP-SEPARATOR-ASSY-CAV-296-C-W-HAND-PRIMER-AND-GLASS-BOTTOM-/271692975366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4229cd06
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

we must be both looking on the same site the only thing to check is the size of the inlet and outlet
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

That primer looks very suspiciously like what they fit to various Vauxhall diesels (including the 4JB1 2.8TD )

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same seller, different style of ad...  That one with the glass bowl has no primer pump? DO I just churn the *beep* over until it starts???

- Cancel that! For some weird reason the link took me somewhere else!
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these things (the 3.1 with the mechanical pump) 'self bleed' once running?   Inline filter in place, started, fast idled/reved/run up and down the street once or twice/slow idled... All 'seems' well.

Dare I take it out and fill it with diesel?
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not had the injector pipes off then pumping the primer till it is hard should be enough the lift pump is in the injection pump
once it is running it pulls fuel from the tank what it does not need just goes back to the tank
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primer - along with the original filter assembly - is now (temporarily) 'out of circuit' as I suspect it of drawing air.

When I fitted the little (actually a fair-sized HFF215) inline filter I did clamp the inlet to prevent the line emptying.  It started ok - kept it going for about 20 seconds before it 'died'; a bit of cranking and it went ok... Let it run on fast idle to warm up and give the battery a bit of 'recovery'...

Little nervous about this temporary arrangement.
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:34    Post subject: 3.1 Fuel Filter - Water Trap Thingy. Reply with quote

After replacing my fuel tank I discovered I had an apparent problem with my fuel filter. Bypassing it and fitting an inline filter provided some considerable respite (i.e. there obviously HAD been an issue with the fuel filter), but there was still an issue - so I replaced the fuel feed (most of the return had already been done) front to back with 8mm copper.

This left me with a problem; as my original fuel filter was now out of circuit, so was my primer. - How to fill the empty new fuel line?

To cut a long story short I fitted a spin-on oil filter I happened to have lying around to the original
filter head. Left my inline fuel filter in circuit (not sure if an oil filter is exactly the thing for diesel! - Not least because it probably has a bypass) primed it up, and off it went!  All (so far) seems well...

Now; to my mind this suggests that the trouble with the fuel filter was/is with the plastic water drain assembly and not the head itself. - Obviously, I don't really want to be running around for any length of time with an oil filter fitted to the head. So... What are the options?

Is there a spin-on fuel filter that will fit the head, but doesn't have the hole in the bottom for the water drain?

Can (NEW!) replacement/alternative drains be obtained?

Is there some sort of 'blanking' bolt that can be obtained for the standard filter?

Obviously I could just replace the whole filter head assembly - but it's £40-£50 that could be better spent elsewhere...
JimToms91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear this worked out for you eventually
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: