QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Wiring Spots with illuminated switch & main beam control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C.B.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:09    Post subject: Wiring Spots with illuminated switch & main beam control Reply with quote

If you want to install a pair of spotlights using a separate indicator switch for isolation and the Main Beam lighting switch for control (including flasher) then read on…

Most of the wiring for this can be in light gauge (about 16/0.2mm AKA 0.5mm2), the only bits that need beefed up (30/0.25mm AKA 1.5mm2 or thicker {assuming 2 x 55w bulbs}) are:-
The 12v supply from the main fuse-box to Pin 30 of the relay, the 12v feed to the lights from pin 87 of the relay and the earthing to chassis for the lights.
The main bits you will need are a 30A SPNO relay, an illuminated rocker or flick switch, a fuse-holder + a 15A quick blow fuse, a handful of terminals and some cable as mentioned above.
Oh! Do disconnect the battery first!

Here’s the schematic (light wire in maroon and thicker wire in green):-

And here’s the wiring diagram for the Trooper lighting modified to show the new wiring and lots of other useful information all on page:-

First off I made up a wee bracket from some scrap to mount the relay on (along with another relay I was fitting to control running lights),
then I took the 12v feed via a cable fuseholder (15A fuse) from the main fuse-box using a thick wire.
I ran the wire up some spiral wrapping to the relay and terminated on Pin 30.

Then I made use of one of the blanking panels on the console by cutting out a hole to fit a blue illuminated rocker switch.
3 wires here (using 0.5mm2 mains flex), brown (switch Common) goes to the headlamp common pin, blue (switch Normally Open) goes to pin 86 of the relay and
green/yellow (switch bulb earth) goes to pin 85 of the relay and then also to the headlamp main beam pin.
I ran the wires forward under the console, up behind the lower dash trim and through the bulkhead grommet into the engine bay.

And when it’s in and working

Next I terminated the brown wire from the rocker switch to the common pin (Pin 3) of the O/S headlamp and the green/yellow wire from pin 85 of the relay to the main beam pin (pin 2) of the O/S headlamp.
This was done by solder splicing to the existing wires near to the headlamp bulb connector as I didn’t want to try to take apart the main loom (huge trunk of wires) further back where it runs along the inner wing.
Here’s a picture taken after the surgery was done (sorry, not much of a detailed photo but it was minus 5 outside and not much warmer in the garage so any photo’s were a luxury).

Once I tested everything was working fully and tidied up the wiring, all that’s left to do is fit the spots,
run the 12V relay output feeds for the spotlights from pin 87 of the relay (thick wire) and wire in good local earth connections (thick wire) for the other side of each spotlight bulb.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Post.
Very useful and informative.
Thanks  Very Happy
catherine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:46    Post subject: Wiring Spots with illuminated switch & main beam control Reply with quote

This information is very useful for all the electrical engineers to know about the wiring spots with an illuminated switch.
Thanks for this information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: