4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Tech 2 in the north east

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard bartle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 18:14    Post subject: Tech 2 in the north east Reply with quote

Hello all, member since August 2011, but never had to ask any technical questions....until now. The information on this site is very helpful  keeping our Troopers on the road, but i need some help now please. I have a 2002 Trooper 3.0dt commercial with 109000 miles on clock, although it had a replacement factory fitted engine etc fitted by Isuzu in June 2010 @ 88000 miles, including Turbo, Orps, injectors, etc etc. Its been serviced every 6k using 5/30 f/s oil and Isuzu filters and has been running great, until 4 days ago.

While driving, vehicle suddenly died on me then picked up and ran ok, it then started to run lumpy (kangaroo diesell) after so many miles. It then ran fine for the next hour or so. Next day vehicle started first turn of key as always, I travelled about 1/4 mile then cut out and wouldnt start. After 5 ins or so tried it and it started, travelled about another 1/4 mile cut out again luckily outside my house and again would not start.

Remember reading thread on multiplug oiling up problem, so pulled the plug apart and bingo loads of oil poured out, cleaned it as best i could until i could get some electric contact cleaner. Started vehicle and ticked over perfect for about 8 mins then cut out ! Got cleaner next day, but still same outcome.

I thought ORPS and decided to try white wire trick, followed Eithens thread, split the plug, removed grey bit but could not get the damn thing oot !
Im now worse off, with engine check light on dash now...have i damaged white wire. Starting is now worse and not ticking over like normal. I know this is a bit war and peace and im a chatroom virgin, and not very savvy with spanners, but your advice would be most appreciated.
ps Any mobile Tech2 garages/mechanics in area (co.durham)

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 18:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

the white wire trick generally only works if they are a complete non starter, for some reason if it's only intermittently non starting the trick won't work. could still be the orps or the crank sensor or air in the fuel or strainer in the sump, you can put an extra 2 litres of oil in  past the max level to check for the strainer issue  and run the engine off of a jerry can of diesel to eliminate the fuel tank letting air in.
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bridge the broken wire and bypass the plug. Put a spade connector in for future easy disconnection. Try all the usual suspects as above but if you need it we have a tech2 here in York
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 16:40    Post subject: Tech2 alternative?? Reply with quote

Just a general 'point of information'.

I've heard that one can now buy a plug-in reader-chip [which goes into the plug down by the clutch], and get an iPhone/Android phone-app which will communicate with the reader-chip by Bluetooth. The phone then acts as an inter-active display unit to read the engine faults etc.

I've seen it read OBE-codes on my Trooper - but I did not, then, have a need to reset an ORPS or any such 'active' operation - so I can't say if it can do all that the expensive Tech2 can do. At less than £20, though, it seems likely to be worth a try! This unit was found by searching on E-By-Gum and came from China, as far as I know.

Good luck to any who may try it!
richard bartle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Ethan and TrooperDan for coming back to me with the advice.

Without doing any of the fix suggestions from Ethan yet, the trooper started first turn of the key and I let it tick over for about 10 minutes, without it cutting out or running lumpy. I then took it for a 12 mile run with no probs. I returned home, turned the engine off then tried to start it again, but it wouldn't have it. I left it for about 10 minutes, tried starting it again and it fired up. Iv tried this sequence a few times and Iv noticed it's usually on the second turn of the key that it fires up.

Its as if the engine has to stand for about 10 minutes or so to 'cool off' before it will start.
Will start on the suggested fixes soon, unless this update throws up a new theory.
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a extra litre of oil in and repeat the test  Wink
richard bartle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gents, sorry about the delay in reporting back. What with checking and testing, testing and checking..... me heads done in !
Latest saga : Did'nt actually do the white wire test as i coud'nt get it out of the plug, however when i did eventually get it started and ticking over i went back to the injector loom multiplug beside the dipstick and started to move it around. The engine started running lumpy, missing and cutting out. If i kept the multiplug still in a certain position the engine would tickover fine. I thought intermitent electrical plug/wire fault and a visit to the auto electricians.
He decided to put a new multiplug on, after finding some wires were not making good contact. However he now couldnt start the vehicle, but when he removed the white wire, it would start. He also said the oil light and oil pressure gauge seem to take a while and a bit of revving up, before going out and registering pressure.
Engine check light still on
I've also noticed oil smears are visible in the new multiplug !

Do you wrecken ORPS or something else lurking ?
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like orps to me
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have exactly this on one here. hold the multi plug still its fine lol. changed the injector loom but still same so re-wired loom on vehicle side and problem sorted. I even bought a brand new loom which i still have if you want it as it took ages to arrive.
richard bartle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do lads, Im back and still confused, with Trooper still not sorted.
After taking all your advice, I thought ORPS and booked into nearest Isuzu dealers to have it done and coded in with tech 2. They could'nt take the vehicle until yesterday after speaking to them on 15/6/15.
During this period I was using the vehicle on short runs...starting it with white wire out, then putting white wire back in to do my journey, the engine check light was constantly on and the oil light and oil pressure gauge seem to take a while and a bit of revving up, before going out and registering (85) pressure. The vehicle then ran fine with no missing, surging or stalling.

I then take it to Isuzu dealer, booked in for ORPS replacement. (only dealer for 3 years after taking over isuzu dealership, now Mazda/Isuzu)
The service manager started the vehicle just..... spluttering and farting with the white wire IN !
He connects tech 2, the vehicle is idling ok then starts spluttering and missing, but engine check light is OFF !

Tech 2 codes show -
P0193  rail oil pressure sensor (high)
P1196  rail oil pressure (high)
P0198  rail oil temperature (high)
P0201  injector 1 control circuit

He said the ORPS does'nt seem to be the problem ( Im not confident in their judgement and experience)

The service manager would'nt commit to what the problem was and if he changed ORPS it still might not solve the problem.
I felt that because it was not an easy fix, they did'nt want to know.
However, he only charged me 1/2 price for tech 2 !

On the journey home, white wire IN, engine check light OFF. At first it was missing and surging and threatening to stall, but once on dual carriage way and doing 55mph, it seemed to be running ok ! until in slower traffic around town it started missing, spluttering and surging.
Got home, went into house for 10mins and returned to vehicle. It would'nt start, took white wire OUT, it started first turn, put white wire back IN, engine check light now constantly ON and went for 10 mile test run, and it was fine.
I have noticed a considerable amount of oil building up inside the injector loom multiplug !

So there we have it, back to square one and a puddled head,

Any suggestions you 3.0dti gods.
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop down here if you like tomorrow, sat or Sunday yo421nr.
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

orps, especially if it hasn't had one that you know of, this sensor ought to be part of a service kit i reckon as it goes wrong so often. at least if they change it it gives you a good base to start from if it still plays up. sounds like he doesn't know what he's looking at  regards the data get it up to dan he'll tell you within a few mins whats up with it
richard bartle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, thanks. I will pm you on www.independentisuzu.co.uk to make arrangements when convenient.
Eithan, thankyou also for being interested in my problem.

Enough slavva, Ive told our lass we're moving to Near York or Oxfordish !
richard bartle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big thank you to Trooper Dan for sorting my starting/running problem out. Dan was in the middle of moving house, but still found time to help me out.
New ORPS supplied, fitted and coded in, and is now running better than ever before.
His knowledge, friendly and helpful attitude, while talking through exactly what he was doing was a breath of fresh air, compared to my nearest Isuzu dealer.

So anybody within about 100 miles radius of York with Isuzu problems requiring sorting, at competitive rates, could do a lot worse than contact Dan at
www.independentisuzu.co.uk
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloomin hec Rich  Embarassed  Embarassed    Very Happy  Very Happy

(customers always right tho)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: