QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2" Suspension lift for leafer Isuzu's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 21:22    Post subject: 2" Suspension lift for leafer Isuzu's Reply with quote

Just completed my 2" suspension lift and I am pleased with the results to be honest. I made the shackles myself apart from a bit of welding which a friend kindly obliged me with his talents. Also the loan of "Grandad's" drill press to drill the holes (I think I left the 18mm drill bit in there as I cannot find it  Confused )

Anyways here is what I did. Before doing anything I measured the distance from the top of the alloy wheel at the rears to the arch. Do both sides for reference.

A few pictures showing where I started and examples of arch clearance using a tobacco tin

Arch Clearance Rear

Arch Clearance Front

New and shiney shackles

First off I jacked up the truck as far as it would go. I opted to lift it under the rear diff with a big block of wood between the jack point and the diff. This meant that I could get her as high as possible. Once she was as high in the air as I could I then chucked a couple of axle stands under the front leaf mounts.

Next stage was to remove the rear shackles. I lowered the leaves down until I could feel movement in them. If too high and too low they will be quite rigid in the mounts. The sweet spot will mean they aren't gripping to the bushes.

Next stage is to undo them. Now I had soaked them every night for a week before hand and I fully expected them to be stuck fast and have to cut them off. I was pleasantly surprised that even though 21 years of abuse had been inflicted on them they came off a treat.

Before

During

After

Shackles eventually removed

After that I then attached the new shackles to the body mounts.

Now the next bit is the risky bit. You have to remove the wheels so you can lower the leaves so the new shackles line up with the leaf ends. You may be lucky and have the truck lifted high enough to leave the wheels on. Once both Shackles are attached you jack the truck up again to get the wheels off. This will be a lot easier if you have three jacks like I do. I lowered the axle to attach the shackles. Then I got my second and third jacks out to lift the axle slowly a bit at a time working left and right from under the point where the leaf meets the axle. This minimises the chance the truck will lean and slide sideways off the stands and jacks. I cannot stress more that you need to do this on a solid surface. I used a couple of paving slabs under my jacks.

Once the shackles and wheels are on double triple check everything is nice and tight and take it for a drive around the block to settle everything.

Now to the front. This is either going to be a pain in the neck (literally) or really easy. All I can say is I found it a doddle and lifted the front in less than 15 mins. I again soaked the torsion bar bolts every night for a week. Take a tape measure and record the distance from the top of the alloy to the wheel arch both sides. To adjust the height this is the fella your looking for.

See that big bolt head. You need a 27mm socket and a breaker bar to suit. You need to soak the entire assembly the bolt goes through. You cannot use enough WD40 trust me. Now for the lift itself. You can leave the wheels on for this and get your trolly jack with a big block of wood on and lift the truck under a suitable crossmember. I used the one under the join between the engine and gearbox. Lift the truck so the wheels are just touching the ground. Then get your breaker bar and socket and turn the bolt head 6 full turns clockwise. Once done lower the truck and go for a drive again around the block. She should settle down nicely after this. Measure the distance and you should have something between 1 1/2" to 2" of lift. What ever you do do not lift the front more than the rear. You will have some interesting handling issues. Make sure the front is the same and at worse lower than the rear. You should now be done.

Here are the post lift reference shots:

Rear Clearance

Front Clearance

Final lift picture:

Hope this is of use to people.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 21:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Grandad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the 18 mm drill very usefull thanks Laughing
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep remembering that ... in all honesty I will get another if needs be Very Happy

Deceased

90Trooper

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 17:54    Post subject: Building your design Reply with quote

Hi there sir! My name is Tom McDonough and I organize Isuzu meetups and fun runs in and around Phoenix, Arizona. I've read your build thread a few times over the past year and a half and I'd like to build shackles using your design, not only for myself but for a few guys within my group. I was wondering if you would allow me to use your design. I thought I would ask since I will be making more than one and potentially selling them within the group (just to cover materials and labor, not to make a killing). Thank you so much for taking the time to create your write up! Talk to you soon.

Tom
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem buddy. You on Isuzu Trader?

Deceased

90Trooper

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir! I just posted about them today to see if anyone is interested. I have 4 guys near me that would like them and it seems like a few on the trader as well. I've seen other peoples design but yours seem to be the most stout. i like the cross braces. Thanks!

Tom
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen your thread Wink

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: