4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0 starter motor problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 22:57    Post subject: 3.0 starter motor problems Reply with quote

My 3.0 trooper broke down again, but since I've been trying to get it going, the starter motor has 'stuck'  Shocked
I charged up both batteries, over 13V in each, but when I turn the key nothing happens, but I can hear the starter spinning. I've finally got the damn thing out, what a battle!
The motor looks ok, the solenoid is working, but the clutch and gear parts were very stiff, and bone dry. I've sprayed Duck Oil on everything and its all working properly once again: the wheel that engages the flywheel is moving well, and the clutch is grabbing the shaft at the end of its travel and holding, until I turn it in the opposite direction, when it lets it spin....if you know how these work, that should make sense!
I've never had a single problem with the starter before this, so would it be safe to assume its ok to re-fit, now it appears to be working?
I'm not looking forward to re-fitting it, and then I've got to fix the original fault  Shocked
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 22:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter cleaned and rebuilt, seems to be working once again  Very Happy
I've dropped the sump today, oil pickups both in the right places...was hoping to find a broken one!
The short one is the injector one I think, the strainer was nice and clean. The long one though, was almost blocked! The sumps been off before, as shown by the excess grey sealant everywhere, including in the second pickup strainer. It was clogged with cotton like 'fluff'....I remember when I rebuilt the head, I turned the engine over to check all was well, and a rag got fed into the camshafts and shredded a bit, I thought I'd cleaned out every bit, abviously not  Embarassed
After 4 years use, I've noticed a drop in oil pressure, on the gauge, so maybe it was a real issue, even though its always ran perfectly: just shows how even a minor issue can cause follow-on problems Wink
So, still not found any faults yet, can only think of the crank sensor.....or....the ROPS the lads fitted for me at the BB...I really hope its not failed already  Crying or Very sad
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

New fault!  Evil or Very Mad
Starter pinion clutch is slipping. Not every time, but I'm not risking re-fitting it, as its such a damned awkward job!
I've recorded a short vid showing the problem, plus got lots of piccies, should I make a 'how-to' of the job?  Very Happy
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the clutch a good clean, it was working perfectly. Bench tested it about 3500000 times, all working perfectly.
So I have just spent all afternoon rebuilding the motor, fresh oil, fully charged batteries, everything back together....
And the #### of a starter motor is sticking exactly like it did 2 weeks ago  Evil or Very Mad
So I still don't know if its a runner, going to have to borrow a credit card or money, and get a starter motor off Dan: Then I've still got to see if it running, basically back to where I started, apart from knowing the oil pickup is okay, and I've cleaned a load of junk out of the main pickup, and repaired the sump leak  Rolling Eyes
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick had to replace his starter. Perhaps you can make a single good one out of two bad ones.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea: I'll have a think about it, only thing is, its such a ballache on the 3.0, because half the stuff under the bonnet is in the way  Evil or Very Mad
I was dreading refitting the starter, but it was dead easy really, just a lot of work getting at the damn thing to start with!
(to start with...I amaze myself sometimes!)  help
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter arrived today, I could not get it to go back in the same hole though!  Evil or Very Mad
I tightened up the lead fixing nut, then that stopped it going in as it was at the wrong angle, so I backed off the nut just enough for it to find its own route, tightened up the starter mounting bolts....now I can't get to the lead nut again!
Its almost tight so I just put everything back together, minus the heater hoses. AND.....started after about 3 spins of the engine  toothy7
Oil pressure just over the centre line, never been that high, cleaning the junk out of the pickup was worth taking off the sump, plus I've fixed a leak!
Went for a careful drive, and no brakes: as warned, so back under the bonnet, found the fault, one TINY vac hose/T connector had come apart...
All working well now, so tomorrow I'll sort out the starter wire, change the oil and filters: I filtered and re-used the engine oil, had to make sure it worked first.
New antifreeze, and I'm freinds with it again....bloody 3.0 addiction.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: