4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Wrong antifreeze?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 19:33    Post subject: Wrong antifreeze? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm currently doing a bit of work on my newly aquired 2003 Trooper 3.0D.

The previous owner has filled the cooling system with BLUE antifreeze but according to Comma (and others) RED is recommended.

Should I switch to red immediately or will the blue be OK?

Thanks

Scott
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 19:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that "blue" antifreeze is for older engines, and "red/pink" is for newer ie 2001 onwards motors.
I'm a motor trader, as well as a Trooper owner  Shocked  and would recommend flushing out all the old stuff, regardless of colour, or whatever the seller said!
Clean out the system, just sticking a hose pipe in the radiator filler hole and then starting the motor, with the fan on hot, for 2 minutes, will flush out the system, or you could fill it, fit the rad cap, and leave it running until the gauge shows half way, leave to cool for a bit and carefully remove the rad cap, then drain from the radiator, this will get most of the crud out of the engine block.
You do need to run the engine whatever way you choose, to make sure the old stuff is completely cleaned out: I personally don't use the little bottles of cleaner the car shops sell..just flush the system out with lots of water!
Then, add the specified amount of antifreeze/summer coolant, I use Triple QX Red in everything, cars and bikes:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/winter-essentials/antifreeze-coolant/red-anti-freeze/?523770481&0&cc5_866
This brand is a motor trade vavourite, by the way, I also use their oil in all my cars  Wink
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old blue stuff can eat the modern ally heads over time as it degrades. In the short term or an emergency it is fine. I would however change to red at your earliest convenience. What ever you do though is make sure you have drained all the blue out of the system before adding red. If not they react together to produce a nice sludge that can block the coolant galleries.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the really old stuff Neal! It was methanol based, and I've seen for myself what happened when my mate removed the rad cap, the gas escaped and set alight, wasn't as dramatic as many say, it flashed off then went out, still singed his eyebrows though!
Flushing out the old stuff and adding pink stuff should sort it
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up this thread.

Duff internet info alert >>  Because it is Blue does NOT, repeat NOT, automatically mean it is 'methanol' based.

One of the oldest blue brands was Bluecol and Triple Q still sell a blue a/f.  It is ethylene glycol based NOT methanol.

It will say on the container what it is.
Certainly steer well clear of any cheapo methanol based a/f IMHO - even if you can find it now.

As to blue/glycol based "eating aluminium heads" .... not sure where that comes from but I used for it 30+ years in all-alloy Rover and Buick V8s and never had any issues.
Changed every 2 years as the inhibitor chemicals get exhausted.
However - if you ignore the change and leave it in - then you might well find problems ...

Has the grade of alloy now used been degraded in some way ?
1986 Saab 900 Turbo. '84 Marlin Roadster.
+ motorcycles & '76 Reliant Kitten (don't laugh - it has got 4 wheels)...
02Trooper777

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind also that on the original bulkhead dataplate for a 2002 Trooper it has :-

8AA   ... which is "ethylene glycol antifreeze"

So in 2002 Isuzu were still using ethylene glycol antifreeze and that is not normally pink.
1986 Saab 900 Turbo. '84 Marlin Roadster.
+ motorcycles & '76 Reliant Kitten (don't laugh - it has got 4 wheels)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: