QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

engine idle when heaters are on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hadalad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:30    Post subject: engine idle when heaters are on Reply with quote

My 1997 3.1 trooper has just come out  after being sat in the barn  for over 7 months, before being put away the batteries had seen better days so I disconnected them and got rid
I put 2 new batteries on the trooper yesterday 2 x 069 batteries CCA 630 each @75ah, as per usual the trooper started and ran without fault throughout the day.

However I did notice that when the heater blower was on the engine idle was at nearly 1000rpm but when I turned them off it idled normally at around 700rpm the more I turned up the blower (up to number 4) the higher the idle become is this normal or is there something going on with those batteries or even the alternator (no lights on the dashboard)
any help would be good thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceramic heater kicking in. Should go back to normal once the engine is up to temperature. You can check it by removing the ceramic heater relay in the fuse box in the engine bay. If you remove it and the revs no longer go up with the blower then you have identified the source. Put the relay back in and away you go. Perfectly normal.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

hadalad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there thanks for the reply, even when the engine is up to normal running temp the engine still idles at 100rpm but when blower turned off switched engine returns to normal!!
which relay is it in the fuse box ?? I take it that this ceramic fuse is the problem and I need a new one ??
thanks for your help
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope .. it is a relay. If you look at the cover of the fuse box it will show which one it is. There is nothing wrong. It is doing what it should. Sometimes the connector behind the dash does short out causing issues. By removing the relay you are testing to see if that is the cause of the problem. Many people just remove it anyway. The ceramic heater doesn't do much. All it is there for is to give a bit of instant warmth first thing until the coolant gets to temperature. If it were me I would just remove the relay (if that is what is causing the issue).

Deceased

Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope .. it is a relay. If you look at the cover of the fuse box it will show which one it is. There is nothing wrong. It is doing what it should. Sometimes the connector behind the dash does short out causing issues. By removing the relay you are testing to see if that is the cause of the problem. Many people just remove it anyway. The ceramic heater doesn't do much. All it is there for is to give a bit of instant warmth first thing until the coolant gets to temperature. If it were me I would just remove the relay (if that is what is causing the issue).

Deceased

hadalad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for your explanation Rhanagar,
I have it sorted, the engine idled normally again when I pulled the relay out and went up again when I replaced it, I have replace the thermostat and let the truck sit cold and then tried again with the relay in and as soon as the engine got up to normal running temp the ceramic heater switched off and the truck idles normally again when the blowers are on full.
faulty thermostat was my problem
cheers.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the thermostat was partially open and not letting the coolant get to temperature then. One to look out for in the future. Glad it is sorted.

Deceased

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other Trooper queries All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: